Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7 digit vin number help

Tom Frampton

Hi, just purchased an 88 2.8L Cressida mx73 and am in the process of registering it to the UK. Slight issue in that it’s got a 7 digit vin number so insurance companies apparently can’t give me a quote. Been doing some reading and seems like standard 17 digit vin numbers were required from 1981, so why would the car have a 7 digit vin printed on all windows, and in the engine bay, and on the original registration documents. Thank you

99CEF528-57C0-44F0-99DE-DEBF5EBEED02.jpeg

92790DDA-B971-4E35-B905-A4A2645BB02C.png

If it was originally a Japanese Domestic Market car, it won't have a VIN. What it will have is a Frame (Chassis) Number.

Longer than 7 digits though.

AS above...JDM vehicles have frame numbers (not VIN)..and mine is 12 digits long.!

Hi.

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you with. I'm sure we should be able to accommodate this.

Regards,

Dan.

It could be a that only certain insurance companies will insure this vehicle.  I have built kit cars in the past which clearly have no VIN but have gained insurance using the chassis number as the identifying mark.  If I am fairly certain that I went through Adrian Flux on some occasions.

It maybe an SA car, looking at the plate it's been living in SA (Built in Japan for the SA market)

A frame number will look like MX73R - xxxxxxx

Drop me a PM with the Frame No. and i will look it up for you

As it's a Manual, it only comes it 2 trims XL or GLX