Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Woes

Hybrid21

Over the last few months I've had a greasy windscreen, and despite using various products cannot seem to clear it totally.

Even fitted new Bosch wipers as thought that mine may be contaminated, slight improvement but not totally clear.

Would appreciate any thoughts and tips re reason for this problem and possible solutions.

thanks

Iain

I’ve found that when it gets really bad good old fashioned Windolene does the job.  I then wash the screen and treat with Rain-X.

• Thanks 1

I've always found with new cars, not just Toyotas, that the marks left by the suckers on the robots they use to put the windscreens in are really difficult to get rid of. Before my Corolla I has an Astra ST and the sucker marks on that screen were so bad the dealership sent the car out to a detailer to remove them. Nothing they had in the workshop even touched them.

• Thanks 1

Try barkeepers friend.  On detailing world it seems the go to product.

• Thanks 1

I mentioned this in another thread with my Mk4 - I suspect it's the off-gassing from the new plastics, i.e. the 'new car smell'.

I was having to wipe down the inside of my windscreen regularly because it would fog up so readily over the winter, and the AC would take longer to clear it than expected, but now that the new-car smell has almost gone I find it's been a lot better, so stick it out until the new car smell goes away and see if it gets better for you too! (If you are using an air freshener that will make it a bit trickier since you won't be able to tell by smell if its still off-gassing tho'!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I swear by Autoglym Fast Glass. It;s always served me well. In fact, I used it yesterday to clean all the windows on our two cars

• Thanks 1

TBH you don't need any fancy harsh or abrasive cleaners; I just sprayed the windscreen wiper jets or used some plain unscented hand sanitizer gel (Which is basically alcohol jelly) on my microfibre cloth, depending on what I had handy, and used that to clean the inside of the window. :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Cyker, it's the outside of my windscreen that's the problem 👍

Iain

I have read good reviews on the Meguiars. I tend to favour Autoglym Fast glass myself.

• Thanks 1

A mixture of white vinegar and water works well on glass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe the white vinegar and water mix also helps control the frost

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Thanks Cyker, it's the outside of my windscreen that's the problem 👍

Iain

Oh sorry, I just assumed it was the inside!

It's a bit unusual for the outside to be greasy, normally between the dust, rain and washer jets they tend to keep clear!

I'm wondering if you live near like, a McD or kebab or doughnut shop or something??

• Thanks 1

I live near the sea Cyker, never really had this issue as bad on other cars before.

Iain

2 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

I live near the sea Cyker, never really had this issue as bad on other cars before.

Iain

Ian, also if there are trees nearby the sap from the trees can leave a greasy film on the windscreen and the paint work, which is extremely difficult to remove 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this glass cleaner from Halfords the other day, not cheap at £16, but as I had tried practically everything else with no luck I thought I would give it a shot.

Guess what, it worked !!

Would certainly recommend 👍

Iain

IMG_20220324_183514784.jpg

• Like 1

Day off today so gave my Rav its first ever wash, blimey I don't know what they put on factory/PDI but the paint was very greasy, had to clean it with solvent brake cleaner to get it clean enough to wax after a hot strong car shampoo scrub.

But same problem with the glass, its horrendous, the usual glass cleaner I use with good result didn't work well, I even used isopropyl alcohol, still smeary inside and out.

Will have another crack tomorrow, neat detergent wash and some of my array of solvents I have.

Good luck Rob, but if all else fails there's always.

Iain

IMG_20220324_183514784.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1