Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2L hybrid MPG

camellia30

Nice, that's a good average for the 2.0!

Very much the same with mine, anywhere from late forties to mid fifties as a tank average.

• Like 2

Yeah I didn't think the MPG was anything special, pretty much the expected figures for the 2L.

I thought the most interesting thing was the +6% improvement E5 (Tesco Momentum) seems to give me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, camellia30 said:

Yeah I didn't think the MPG was anything special, pretty much the expected figures for the 2L.

I thought the most interesting thing was the +6% improvement E5 (Tesco Momentum) seems to give me.

I too find that the E5 tends to go a bit further, just enough to offset the difference in pump price.

With E10 it seems like we have to buy a bit more fuel to go the same distance now. Hard to see any net benefit to anything except fuel duty revenue.

• Like 1

Corolla 2.0 hybrid for its power is an ultra efficient car 👌 , the fuel consumption is very similar to previous 1.8 gen3 hybrids but performance is different 🏁👍 I can’t wait to see the next generation 5 hybrids, it looks they will have similar set up to Corolla 2.0 but with additional rear axle motor and extra power 200+ bhp. 🎶😍

• Like 3

8 hours ago, camellia30 said:

I get a little higher in the summer months - 56-58 on average (had one tank over 60mpg), but high 40s in winter, now around 52-53 as the weather is warming up, oddly I seem to get better MPG on 95RON E10, than an do on 99RON E5

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

I get a little higher in the summer months - 56-58 on average (had one tank over 60mpg), but high 40s in winter, now around 52-53 as the weather is warming up, oddly I seem to get better MPG on 95RON E10, than an do on 99RON E5

Me too noticed a slightly better mpg with E10 sometimes but engine doesn’t feel as good as with E5 99. 👍

• Like 2

That makes sense theoretically and should be the case in 'normal' cars, as the higher octane fuels use more octane boosters and cleaning agents which means less % fuel per L.

Cars designed for it can offset that with higher compression ratios and spark/timing/etc advance, but I suspect our normal engines are optimized for regular!

Slightly different than with petrol, but I noticed that with the V-Power Diesel - There was a noticeable torque dip vs normal fuel at low speeds, but I could run the engine to higher rpms and get more power out of it because the fuel burned a lot 'faster' and smoother. It's one of the reasons I would fill up with it before long motorway journeys back in the day, as the difference was quite noticeable in the old D4D! (And also the higher fuel flow rate would hopefully help keep everything clean!!)

In the hybrid, I struggle to notice any difference between fuels - Maybe I just haven't learned to notice the subtleties in it yet, as the engine is very decoupled from what happens compared to engines in normal cars!

Imo, if WLTP doesn't specify E5 or E10 fuel, then there is most likely no significant difference with respect to mpg. If there were a better performance with any of the fuels, then car manufacturers would have picked up that one to report higher mpg. 

I've tried E10 and E5. I even ran my car on a mixture of both for a while.

E10 seems to be the one where I get the best consumption and I don't seem to notice any difference in engine noise or performance

Mpg difference is around 2-3mpg,  it might also be as a result of weather changes because even few degrees up or down may cause the car to burn less or more. For the performance and engine noise in my car the difference is day and night., here again it will depend how and where the car been used. I am mostly a motorway driver and I need a lot of work from the ice to get the car up to the speed where if the car mainly been used in town at lower speeds the e motor will take more of the work and perhaps can be a reason why some people noticed that difference more than others. There is one more huge difference in behaviour of the hybrid system with E5 99 the transition from electric to petrol it’s absolutely seamless (very smooth) where with E10 95 it’s more rough and often accomplish with unpleasant thump. Adding some redex or anything available to the E10 helps a bit but still lack the quieter and smoother run when entirely fed on E5 ✌️

• Like 2

Camellia 30 ,

I'm impressed with your MPG - I have a 19 plate 2.0 Litre Excel TS but get nowhere near what you are achieving. Since new, my average is 42 MPG, I always fill up the tank until the pump gun refuses twice. Granted I only do short trips daily and once or twice a week 50 mile round trip. I would be interested to know if I am driving the car incorrectly and appreciate any tips you can offer for better MPG.
I have noted two different taxi drivers of Auris or Prius hybrids that they accelerate, lift and coast and repeat on their journeys.

I also have a problem with tyre wear having only done 12500 miles since new and it looks as though I will need at least new front tyres fairly soon. I have never been heavy on tyres on previous cars, these are 17" Falken Ziex ZE914 B ecorun 225/45R17

I really love this car

Thanks

Joe

My 2.0 average is about 45mpg. That’s with the 225 18” wheels too. Mostly 5mile commute each way do not to bad. Warmer weather makes a big difference Iv noticed the last 2weeks.

mangaged this yesterday granted its mostly downhill but 👍🏻

296A3FD8-A2CE-49C2-8B9C-F0AA675B155B.thumb.jpeg.dc002c898e14bf73f57626a64c703d01.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't do anything special at all. It's all the car. I don't have the displays on telling you the mpg or any stats.

I have a 13 mile commute that's all A roads, very little queuing involved.

• Like 1

I've had 3 tanks to calculate in mine so far. App. 1100 miles.

51.9 47.4 and 53.9

Average 51.1

All tracked using Fuelly. Pretty impressed so far as to be honest I'm not really trying to drive economically. Just using my eyes a bit more to anticipate and trying to coast/gently brake rather than stop.

Currently running on e10/95. The first car I have done in quite a few years, my RCZ and GT86, the 86 in particular definitely didn't like 95.

• Like 3

Good figures here👌, very similar to previous generation hybrids 1.8, slightly less but performance obviously will be better. Toyota hybrids are fine for fast accelerating and more progressive braking, this does not affect efficiency by much, faster braking can actually increase mpg a bit because as you slow down quickly you are adding more energy to the Battery that can be used afterwards to drive the car. What does not like Toyota hybrids all engine sizes is constant engine load and high speeds., racing with other cars, going uphill etc. in these scenarios because of the nature of the drive train and how the system works the engine will remain in high rpm for long periods or time to maintain extra power needed and so will kill efficiency where if you have a German car with other type auto box and powerful engine you can maintain high speeds and engine loads at relatively low rpm and efficiency will not be affected as much., and the whole experience is better, more refined and relaxed drive while going fast. Hybrids within speed limits are great though and obviously most efficient 🔋👌

• Like 2

Sustained high loads impact more on the newer ones too, I think, as they switch to the more powerful but less efficient Otto-cycle mode, so the 1.5 in mine will start gulping fuel like a proper 1.5 when asked to deliver many beans :laugh: 

But damn it's fun :naughty: 

• Like 2