Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris boot gasket

Robbiel

God afternoon,

Whilst i was cleaning out the boot of the car I noticed that the gasket for the wiring has come away from the metal part of the boot and it looks like it has been out at some stage as there are marks on the rubber. I have tried to reinstall it but it is next to impossible due to the tight space available. Is there a way to reinstall it as i can see rain water getting into the hole ?

20220313 11.jpg

Have you tried using dish washing liquid as a lubricant? This works for me. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I have tried it but no joy, it looks like someone has tried to 'hack' it in to place due to the plastic part the it covers makes it extremely difficult to fit into the gap . I'm thinking of gluing or silicone it into place to stop rain water getting access. 

Will you be able to get glue or silicone all the way around with the space being so limited??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Will you be able to get glue or silicone all the way around with the space being so limited??

Thats what i'm looking to do. Its extremely limited space to put the rubber in due to the shroud that sits inside the base of the rubber.

It might be worth removing the other end of the rubber from the top of the boot lid. This may give you just enough room to get the first bit in. The problem with this, is that you may end up with a problem of not being able to get both ends back in.

You need to release the white plastic insert, Push the rubber into the body, then the insert pushes into the rubber iirc - no need to use any sealant

• Like 1

I never even knew there was a plastic insert.

It's always easy when you know how 

• Like 1

It's been a while, i may have that slightly wrong - remove the insert, push the rubber through the hole put the insert in the rubber then push/pull the rubber back through

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It's been a while, i may have that slightly wrong - remove the insert, push the rubber through the hole put the insert in the rubber then push/pull the rubber back through

Thanks for the reply.  The insert can only come through the top as it has a lip around the top circumference to stop it falling through the hole. I can seat the plastic insert into the rubber but its next to impossible to fit the lip of the rubber through the hole as there is about 1mm gap between the rubber and the hole, From what I can see the insert protects to wire and holds it on the middle of the hole possibly to stop it from chaffing on the edges of the hole. 

If i cut the lip off the insert with a snips the insert will drop down and will be held in place by the inner roof and the insert can be seated in to the hole and the rubber, whats left of it...can be fitted into the hole. But it looks like there is little left of the lip of the rubber so silicone might be to option to hold it in place.

Thank you for the reply. I have tried to seat the lip into the hole again this morning but it's next to impossible to get it in as the plastic part has very little play around it and the circumference to get the lip of the runner into the hole.

If you pull the whole assembly out, clean the metal work nicely and then use a bit of wd-40 silicone spray on the rubber to help you slide in place. 👍

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

use a bit of wd-40 silicone spray on the rubber

Or KY jelly?   

Know what I mean, nod nod, wink wink?                                                      😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On hard wiring a rear dash cam Halfords “technician” broke off the little plastic clips and it leaked like the Titanic. Toyota dealership had to replace the complete loom, and charged me €150, which was reimbursed by Halfords. The Toyota dealership told me that they have a little special tool for inserting the plastic holder which holds it water tight.

• Like 1

Well an update. I tried again this evening, I lubed the rubber up with a lubricant from work and still it wouldn't go in...the gap between the plastic insert and the hole is extremely tight. 

A local mechanic had a look and has seen something similar on a different car said the only way is to glue it to the metal as the rubber that should be seated under the metal  had started to become damaged as it's so thin. Last resort is to leave it into a  Toyota dealer to have sorted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbiel said:

Well an update. I tried again this evening, I lubed the rubber up with a lubricant from work and still it wouldn't go in...the gap between the plastic insert and the hole is extremely tight. 

A local mechanic had a look and has seen something similar on a different car said the only way is to glue it to the metal as the rubber that should be seated under the metal  had started to become damaged as it's so thin. Last resort is to leave it into a  Toyota dealer to have sorted.

That’s what I would do Rob, because if it’s not seated properly your boot will always be taking in water 💦 And that’s the last thing you want.

• Like 1

you need to pop the clips out of the head linning to get your hand to the insert, remove the insert, put the rubber in the body then put the insert into the rubber

The insert can only be removed and inserted from the top as there is a lip of about 4mm around the edge so it can't fall through the hole.

When I align the gasket with the moulded ridge on the insert there is about 1mm gap which is so tight it can't be pushed through. 

Another option is to remove the lip from the insert which will allow me to insert the lip on the rubber into the hole and make the seal.

I've found a photo of the during loom online. The lip on the white insert fits inside the gasket roughly where the red line is and around the circumference. The lip is just showing in behind the rubber 

20220315_132200.jpg

ok remove the insert from the car and get it seated back in the rubber, then put it into the body

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links