Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Light Cluster Gaskets

jonnoYaris

Hi,

Hoping someone on here may be able to point me in the right direction.

I am after a pair of rear light cluster gaskets for a 2011 Yaris 1.33 VVT-i T Spirit Nav (6speed) 5d.

I have already gone through the process of buying some from the Toyota Parts Seller on eBay, but unfortunately when they came they didnt fit! The ones they sent were the following:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324075778888

I have since returned these and hoping to get some money back (£50 for 2 pieces of foam is almost robbery).

The lights I have on mine are the type where the brake lights at the top are LED.

I've attached some pictures of the rear of one of the clusters, a picture of the back of the car with a cluster removed, and also a picture of one of the incorrect gaskets I was sent. Unfortunately I threw the old gaskets away - really wish I hadn't now!

Any help much appreciated as I cannot seem to find them anywhere!

Thanks

IMG_20220310_165838419 (1).jpg

IMG_20220313_120330253.jpg

IMG_20220310_172924735.jpg

That is the correct part number for a late mk2 (double-checked on the EPC and other online sources)

A used tail light for comparison - the foam is located by the 2 bolt posts and over hangs the edge as you bolt it down the foam moulds to the plastic and body as you can see in the pics in the link below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265569004074

Oh crickey, I'm now wondering if I've sent them back when they were actually correct....urghhh. It really did seem like they were the wrong shape.

Thanks for your help.

in the absence of an appropriate gasket you might be able to cut a profile from a sheet of self-adhesive neoprene by tracing around it. Then stick that on.  Another alternative could be a u-profile window seal that could be seated around the sealing face, with a piece of butyl tape across the join to prevent any moisture ingress

Ideally you'd need a very low Shore hardness otherwise it wont compress enough to seal properly. I had some old u-channel pieces that were very soft when i last did this, ages ago. Shore hardness should be around 30 or max 40 shore.

The other alternative is to use some butyl tape on the bodywork, just rolled out from the roll without stretching. Join the ends and you'll have a perfect seal, whilst the light will also be held securely. Its often used for securing the vapour barrier inside the door. Something like this will be perfect:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Butyl-Sealant-Tape-8mm-X-6-Meter-High-Performance-Class-A-Certified-by-NFRC-/283351022076?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

All the best and do let us know how you get on.

Hasan

Thanks Hasan. I'd actually already tried the butyl tape, this one in fact:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W5LXSP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However I was concerned that even though I'd applied the tape to the thin edge of the light cluster as carefully as I could, there was a risk that the tape could seperate from the unit without me knowing when bolting the unit to the car. Maybe the butyl tape you suggested is wider and would be less of a concern.

I have however gone with another one of your suggesions with the neoprene sheet. I've ordered this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I4768WK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm just hoping that a thickness of 3mm will be appropriate as this was just a guess! Do you think this is suitable?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

thats a good find there Jonno.  Yes looks quite appropriate, 3mm will mean there is sufficient give in it to permit a proper fit whilst also creating a good seal.

Excellent! I'll try and post some pics when I get a chance to do it. Thanks

• 5 months later...

Arghh looks like this issue has not been fixed even after fitting a new piece of neoprene. It's still leaking. Tested by pouring water over the gap above the light cluster, and water is coming in.

I've read that using silicone sealant maybe a way to go? If so, any particular type and would I use in conjunction with the neoprene? Thanks

If you've installed brand new gaskets then whatever you do, don't use any sealant. First of all, check if the source of the leak is not coming from higher up, this can easily be checked by placing kitchen roll/paper towel in the void a few inches higher than the light cluster on both sides. 

• Like 1

I think they've made some DIY seals from the neoprene sheet, so there's probably a gap in it somewhere?

The only time to use a silicone sealant is if you able to pull uld seal down abd use that to gain some extra compression against the seal.

You can somtimes use a house door seal just cut to length required.

• Like 1

See my March reply

The seals are a closed cell foam and conform to the body shape

Yes I used 3mm neoprene sheeting to form a gasket. Reason being to avoid the absolute rip off prices Toyota are charging for a bit of rubber, but if it fixes the leak I guess I'll have to bite the bullet. I'll take the driver's side one off today and have a look, the passenger side one I think is fixed. The leak is definitely coming from the light as I've poured water over it on the outside into the top where the bodywork meets the cluster. This cars been ultra reliable but the design on this lights are awful - sorry Toyota! Thanks for everyone's suggestions, appreciate it.

I would imagine that its slipped somewhere, or perhaps got a fold in it.  I'm with you in not wishing to pay stupid prices for a piece of rubber, although a lot of companies do just that. 

What you could try is to remove the cluster, sprinkle talc on the opening where the seal is, refit the cluster and then pour water over it.  Where you see tracks in the talc is where water is coming in.  I'm just wondering if by in fact loosening the mounting nuts would this create a better seal - seems counterintuitive but it sometimes occurs with seals due to distortion of the sealing material due to overtightening.  Just a thought. 

Thankyou, yes great idea with the talc I'll try that!

Interesting you mention the tightness of the bolts because thinking about it I did make sure they were very tight in the hope that that would improve the seal, but maybe not as you say. I shall take another look and see, thankyou!

So bit the bullet and bought the official Toyota gaskets. Tested with watering can - no leaks. Will keep checking to make sure this is fully resolved!

• Like 3

Hopefully it should be sorted now Jonno - well with the originals it certainly should! Are the new ones foam or neoprene?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links