Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Various

Cannons

Hello again everyone,

Sorry I am asking for so much info on my newly acquired 2020 Corolla Excel, but I am finding both the systems and handbook quite difficult.

Firstly, I understood this model had auto door locking on setting off, but there isn't anything in the menus for it.

I also can't find how I switch the "Park Assist" on, which the Toyota website says, my car does have.

I also understood the vehicle has "blind spot assist" which I also can't find any evidence, although "Lane keeping assist" is evident.

Thanks for your patience!!

Corolla doesn't have blind spot monitoring fitted.

Corolla also doesn't lock the doors when you start driving. 

Hybrid or 1.2T?

By park assist, do you mean the front and rear parking sensors? They should be always on and trigger beeps and stuff if you get close to things.

(I assume you don't mean the auto-parking thing the JDM models have - afaik no uk spec toyota has that :sad: )

I have Park Assist on my 1.8 TS Icon Tech. I have used it once to try it out, but it's really to much faff. The switch to activate it is down on the right hand side by the headlight adjuster.

My Prius has auto park too. Had it 3.5 years and not tried it yet. 😄

Wow, I didn't realise any of the cars here had it! Have never seen it in the wild, so to speak!

All corollas icon tech and above have auto park/park assist

the bottom for it is on the right of the steering wheel on the dash with the auto headlight button

I've not tried the parking thingamabob, very rare I parallel park to be honest.

The problem with the auto park function - regardless of make, is that you typically will have other cars either following behind or in front. By the time you select the system by pressing the button (located in an non- logical place in the Toyota), then select the parallel or perpendicular park option and then the indicator to select which side you are looking for a space, it becomes a complicated faff. If you get a chance to use it in a quiet street or car park the system works and works reasonably well but in real life there are too many things to do to get it to work and it becomes simpler (and safer) to park it yourself

12 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Hybrid or 1.2T?

Excel trim was not available in 1.2

It depends where you live, but yeah down here by the time you'd set up up someone would have nicked the parking space :laugh: 

It works passably well when reversing into a space. The only gripe I'd have is that it's essentially a dumb system from what I can tell. That is it has the sequence of moves hard coded into it and about all you're doing is telling it where to start from. It can perform basic validation so it won't drive you into parked cars or brick walls but that's it.

What this means is that it's perfectly capable of reversing the car into a space and leaving you insufficient room to open one or more doors.

I don't have much need for it generally (most of my parking is at golf courses and that's the one time I don't want to back into a space) but I have used it elsewhere. I don't find it takes particularly long to set up and actually I prefer it when there are other vehicles waiting as it gets me out of their way quicker even if I then have to do a bit of shuffling myself to get the car exactly where I want it.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Swanthecat said:

The problem with the auto park function - regardless of make, is that you typically will have other cars either following behind or in front. By the time you select the system by pressing the button (located in an non- logical place in the Toyota), then select the parallel or perpendicular park option and then the indicator to select which side you are looking for a space, it becomes a complicated faff. If you get a chance to use it in a quiet street or car park the system works and works reasonably well but in real life there are too many things to do to get it to work and it becomes simpler (and safer) to park it yourself

What he said...

• Like 1

Yup, exactly that. Haven't had a chance to test that system. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Swanthecat said:

I tried it

besides the fact that parking sensors aren’t designed to locate pavements it’s actually pretty simple and effective.

i don’t bother with it though

These systems never detect kerbs.  They just line themselves up with other cars in a line, so if cars behind & in front are 2 wheels on the kerb, so will your car be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kental said:

These systems never detect kerbs.  They just line themselves up with other cars in a line, so if cars behind & in front are 2 wheels on the kerb, so will your car be.

It works great for kerbing your alloys. I don't trust it enough yet. 

I use it all the time. Never let me down yet. 

• Like 1

I love it. I've never had a problem . . . YET !!

• Like 1