Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Consumption...wow!

NorthantsRob

So I've had my Aygo (manual) for a couple of months now and it's covered about 1,300 miles...hardly run-in.

I had to travel to the Sheffield area today, from Northamptonshire, a round trip of about 206 miles - 90% of it being M1 motorway. I wasn't in a particular hurry and, like most people, am conscious of rocketing fuel prices so found myself sitting for most of the trip at about 55-65mph

This amazing little car returned 72.2mpg which I think is incredible...filling the tank again cost me just over £21 for the 206 miles. I'm impressed and love my car more each time I drive her! 

• Like 6

Well bet your happy I am going down to Cornwall next month so I will see what mine does I hope I get 72 mpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave the aygo said:

Well bet your happy I am going down to Cornwall next month so I will see what mine does I hope I get 72 mpg

Good luck with the trip...I was trying to wring every last mile out by the end! 😄

• 4 weeks later...

Well we've got down  to Cornwall

I managed 56 mpg keeping at 55 /60 mph not quite as good as I had hoped for but better than nothing l had hoped to get over 60 mpg but not to worry 

• Like 1

I managed 55.6 mpg on a 500 mile round trip with our 63 plate mk1, I too was hoping for more but to be honest I don't nurse it so can't complain. There great little cars and I have little doubt if driven lightly more mpg could be obtained but where's the fun in that. 😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave the aygo said:

Well we've got down  to Cornwall

I managed 56 mpg keeping at 55 /60 mph not quite as good as I had hoped for but better than nothing l had hoped to get over 60 mpg but not to worry 

56 is still pretty good though, don't you think? My previous car did 40 max! 

I find using the speed limiter on the MK2 Aygo can help with MPG. I usually set to 58mph on dual carriageway/motorway, 55 mph on A roads and the speed limit for 20, 30 or 40 mph. The usual hypermiling techniques of reading the road ahead and slowing down well in advance help. A lot depends on the length of journey and outdoor temp but I can usually achieve 60-70 mpg on a good run.

• Like 1

Yes 56 mph is good it cruises well for a small car it did struggle with the hills in Cornwall  but it was loaded so that has to be took into consideration 

• Like 1

Helps a lot when it's 15 degrees C outside too.
At around freezing temperatures, the engine gets a rich mixture of petrol, revs go up around 1400..
I bet if OP only drove the car in winter until now, the best is still to come for general consumption once it's summer.
Big difference ! Even makes a difference on long trips, I saw..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, haelewyn said:

At around freezing temperatures, the engine gets a rich mixture of petrol, revs go up around 1400..
I bet if OP only drove the car in winter until now, the best is still to come for general consumption once it's summer.

Only had it  in Jan this year still only done 1500 miles so may improve over the summer

Since November, kept all my fillings of petrol in a database, ..

My result, all kind of drives included, i got 54 miles to the gallon / 5,25 liter per 100 km.

Didn't do any long trips yet where I could clock it on.

7 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Really hope you're right! Yes, all my driving in the Aygo so far has been since January so I'm hoping mpg will improve.

You won't be able to improve the 72 mpg on the long trip much, Robin.  That's almost record breaking already. Great result !

What I wrote about the 1400 rpm : of course on cold engine. Not after it gets warm.

Hope to get the same result as what i predicted. I'm driving since November in the Aygo. Hope I can manage to get my average of 5.25 liter / 100 km down.

• Like 2

I'm stubborn, so I ignored the shift indicator at first and it showed with an average of 5.39/100. Now i make it a sport to **** as soon as the indicator lights up and i managed 4.99/100 km doing that, although it is down to 5.19/100 km right now because I used my car for commuting now that my bike is in for repairs and waiting for a new part.

But I  bought my Aygo a few months ago, so it will probably go down soon 🙂

What difference to the mpg does turning off the aircon do? I use my car for work, and get paid 45p per mile.. 

On the return journey from Cornwall I got 58 mph happy with that as I was doing 70 mph all the way back

Do you guys think the new Aygo X it will be less efficient than the predecessor because it’s larger , heavier and taller than before while having the same engine? I seen already bay few comments here and there about this. . .?

8 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Do you guys think the new Aygo X it will be less efficient than the predecessor because it’s larger , heavier and taller than before while having the same engine?

Yes, but maybe it won't make a big difference.

Pre 2018 models with no EGR compared to models with EGR are probably a bit more economical on fuel too.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Pre 2018 models with no EGR compared to models with EGR are probably a bit more economical on fuel too.

I get near as damn it the same fuel consumption from my 2020 MMT Aygo as I did from my 2008 manual C1 - 52mpg as a long term average, despite 2 apparent 'disadvantages' of MMT and EGR.

• Like 1

That's an other thing that makes you really special Dave 🙂

N* 3:  other gearbox in those Aygo's too..
The recent models have been adapted (f.e. second and third gear have other characteristics)

11 hours ago, haelewyn said:

The recent models have been adapted (f.e. second and third gear have other characteristics)

That's something I've previously posted about, the larger gap between gears is definitely noticeable especially 2nd to 3rd so I've had to adapt my driving style to stay in 2nd gear longer to avoid 3rd 'bogging down'.