Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MMT help for a newbie driver

KerryannG

Hi fellow Agyo buddies. 

Im sure this has already been asked a thousand times before.
I’ve just recently passed my test and purchased a 2014 plate Aygo. I want to get the best out of my car and take good care of it. I learnt in a fully automatic car which was very high tech (didn’t even have a manual hand brake) so it’s all but scary at the moment. 

I’ve read lots of worrying topics about wearing the clutch out, which I do not want to do, So my questions is this : when I come to a stop on a hill should I move the gearbox from E to N? and then change it back to E when I’m moving again and clear of the hill? I have absolutely no idea what to do to stop myself from jolting backwards when I press the accelerator to move. 

Any advice is greatly welcomed. 

When to move into N and apply the handbrake?

I always remember the advice I was given by a former police driver trainer, he said "when a pause becomes a wait" (i.e more than a few seconds" you apply the handbrake and shift into N.

Then when getting ready to pull away you shift back into N and gently feed in the throttle until you feel the car move against the handbrake then you release the handbrake and you won't roll backwards.

My 2020 x-shift (MMT) Aygo has hill hold which makes the restarting easier but I'm not sure if your 2014 MMT will have it?

BTW the Aygo isn't a traditional automatic, it's an automated manual i.e. a normal manual gearbox and clutch with electromechanical actuators controlled by an ECU.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, yes, when you apply the handbrake. 

Did you mean “ Then when getting ready to pull away you shift back into E? and gently feed in the throttle until you feel the car move against the handbrake then you release the handbrake. 

40 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Then when getting ready to pull away you shift back into N and gently feed in the throttle until you feel the car move against the handbrake then you release the handbrake and you won't roll backwards.

My 2020 x-shift (MMT) Aygo has hill hold which makes the restarting easier but I'm not sure if your 2014 MMT will have it?

BTW the Aygo isn't a traditional automatic, it's an automated manual i.e. a normal manual gearbox and clutch with electromechanical actuators controlled by an ECU.

Hi Kerryann, welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

You have been reading correctly, the MMT gearbox which you have can, and often is, frought with problems.  Drive carefully, its good you getting advice from here, lots of experience you can draw on.

My best advice would be save up and but a Yaris hybrid. That is gearless changing, which is so smooth to drive. No clutch to worry about neither.

Use the handbrake when stopping on a hill. 

Use N if waiting more than a few seconds. 

Worry less. I got 118k miles from my clutch 

• Like 2

Hi fully automatic driver here as well, I passed in an auto too. I would echo what others say, you could save up and buy a new Aygo x which has a CVT gearbox which will be nicer to drive in. I'm in a mk2 Aygo but I did used to have a 2014 mk1 Aygo like yours and you need to watch for rolling back on hills, so always use the handbrake with gentle throttle.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KerryannG said:

Did you mean “ Then when getting ready to pull away you shift back into E? and gently feed in the throttle until you feel the car move against the handbrake then you release the handbrake. 

Yes 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1