Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cost of charging

ClaireOT

Hi everyone

Im new to this forum. I am thinking of buying a new plug in rav as I think most of my daily driving would be covered by the range offered by the Battery alone. My query is does anyone have a rough idea of what a typical charge costs? I know this can vary but if anyone had a rough idea that would be great. Thank you 

Depends on your tariff. However assuming you will be on a standard capped tariff after 1st April it will be circa £3.50 to £4.00 for a full charge at home. That is predicated on 27p/kWh charge and around 14kw energy to recharge the Battery. For a very simple comparison with petrol costs: I get typically around 40-45 miles per charge at a post energy price rise cost of say, £3.80. Based on my personal driving use and style I would hope to get a similar range from a gallon of petrol, albeit probably less. That gallon currently costs £7.50 ish…… almost double!! 

• Like 1

Agree with Adrian above. It would be worth looking into and considering an EV tariff, especially if you intend getting a charge point installed (although not essential as you can still get the bulk of a full charge on a 3 pin charger in the cheap window). I get 4 hours each night at 5p/kWh which works out at 70p per charge. You probably won't get that rate now but my supplier currently charge 7.5p/kWh on the equivalent tariff, so still only £1 per charge or 45 miles, which makes it 1/7 of the cost of petrol based on Adrian's calculation.

Some will say avoid an EV tariff because the rate for the remaining hours are higher than a standard tariff, although in my experience, the higher rate is only to offset the difference of the base load used in the 4 hour cheap window versus the standard tariff rate. I set dishwasher and drier on the delay start timer to come on in the cheap window and when I don't charge the car, I save around 4-5% against the standard rate. When I do a full charge it is about 40% saving. However, if you have really heavy use in the daytime, you would need to consider it.

The other benefit of an EV tariff (certainly with my supplier) is the price is guaranteed for 12 months, so I have been protected against the current price cap increase. Anyone signing up now would be protected against the likely further price cap increase in November.

• Like 1

As Adrian says, it requires around 14kWh - i.e. 14 units - of electricity to fully charge the Battery from zero to maximum range.

That will cost 14 times whatever per unit rate you can get in Wicklow.

And that will give you an WLTP combined EV range of around 47 miles according to Toyota (actual experiences will vary).

• Like 1

Thanks very much everyone appreciate you all coming back to me. Im on the fence between the rav and the new Bz4x, just trying to weigh up the costs. The rav would do my daily driving for 1 charge whereas the Bz4x would cover me for the week on 1 charge. I know the charge costs will be different given the differnt Battery sizes. Just trying to weigh it all up! Went to see the bz4x yesterday its amazing. 

If you did all the mileage within the EV range of the RAV4, the cost of charging will obviously be more or less the same. If you end up doing a lot of journeys that use petrol then the BZ4X might work out the better option because you'll replace all the petrol miles with cheaper electricity. 

Not sure of the range of the BZ4X but I'd assume the EV and full tank range of the RAV4 PHEV would be more and no range anxiety! It won't matter if you rarely do 250 mile journeys between charges.

• Like 1

One advantage on the RAV PHEV is it’s essentially a dual fuel option.  From what you’ve said the daily commute will be covered by a full EV charge which can easily be accomplished using a mains 240v outlet but then give you the peace of mind that the petrol ICE will give you around 500miles range without the potential anxiety of finding a charge outlet.

• Like 1

Just for an example of the EV and combined ICE/EV range I just screen shot the MyT pages.

996AA7FA-D93C-46EE-813F-E853A7C3A4D2.png

39D9BE61-F0B6-4155-8841-004596900BD4.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ClaireOT said:

Im new to this forum. I am thinking of buying a new plug in rav as I think most of my daily driving would be covered by the range offered by the battery alone. My query is does anyone have a rough idea of what a typical charge costs? I know this can vary but if anyone had a rough idea that would be great. Thank you 

Slightly off topic, the frequent PHEV charging task itself needs some thought. 

All about convenience; a home or workplace charging facility is essential IMO.

Like fueling an ICE a gallon at a time, amazing how quickly those 46 urban miles are used up.

The 7kw lead is fairly robust & needs regular cleaning.

Surprised how little thought new EV/PHEV owners give to the charging task.

A couple of newbies with high end EV's smugly related recently how they use free overnight parking & charging at Tesco on a regular  basis....really.

Takes all sorts.......Barry Wright, Lancashire.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links