Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v Battery

Viceroy46

Currently having batt. replaced under warranty on Yaris Excel hybrid. Does anyone have my problem? Pressing power button starts the car but also turns on headlamps when in the 'auto' position. To turn off headlamps but leave running lights on I need to twist the left hand stalk up to the headlight setting. When parking and turning off power, opening door sets off 'headlights on' warning chime so I twist the stalk back to 'auto' to silence warning chime-this can't be right. 

Ok Terry the automatic headlights on switch is far too sensitive. What I do is turn them off with the stalk and run on the parking lights, and when the ignition is switched off and you open the door it beeps to remind you to turn them off at the stalk. That’s my strategy at the moment, but on my next trip to the dealership I will see if they can tone down the sensitivity a bit.

chime after turning the car off and opening the door is a key reminder, not the lights, unless you leave the lights on (Not set to auto or off)

leave the lights in auto you should need to touch them, DRL only come on when out of park and the handbrake released

That being said a weak 12v Battery can make the electronics do strange things

If the car is on, it will turn on the headlights automatically if it thinks it is dark - Nothing you can do about it other than overriding it to sidelights.

Have had it do it in broad daylight when I'm parked in the shade!

The light sensor is a little dome thing on the opposite side of the dash to the driver, and if anything is above it casting a shadow it thinks OH IT'S NIGHT TIME LIGHTS ON!!!

Interesting point. I got fuel the other day, 15 min drive to get there with wipers and lights on because it was dark. I need to use the car on Saturday for a day out, so wanted to give it an hour in "ready mode" to replace the charge which was probably lost on the short drive to the petrol station.

So i drove the 15 mins home, with wipers and lights again, then sat in it for 45 mins, turned the wipers off but can't turn off the lights, so thinking that hour in ready mode wouldn't replenish the 12v Battery as much as it would if it were bright and dry.

6 hours ago, Mikw said:

Interesting point. I got fuel the other day, 15 min drive to get there with wipers and lights on because it was dark. I need to use the car on Saturday for a day out, so wanted to give it an hour in "ready mode" to replace the charge which was probably lost on the short drive to the petrol station.

So i drove the 15 mins home, with wipers and lights again, then sat in it for 45 mins, turned the wipers off but can't turn off the lights, so thinking that hour in ready mode wouldn't replenish the 12v battery as much as it would if it were bright and dry.

Suggestion, could have turned your smartphone light on and put it near that little dome thing on the dash opposite side to the driver and fooled the car to think it’s daylight and turn headlights off. 

On 3/17/2022 at 12:22 PM, Viceroy46 said:

Currently having batt. replaced under warranty on Yaris Excel hybrid. Does anyone have my problem? Pressing power button starts the car but also turns on headlamps when in the 'auto' position.

My dealer, when I took delivery, told me that one of his clients had a similar problem. It was because something akin to a tax disk was on the windscreen and it cast a shadow over the light sensor, which is, as @Catloverpoints out is a little button like dome on the dash, but close to the windscreen. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Cyker said:

The light sensor is a little dome thing on the opposite side of the dash to the driver, and if anything is above it casting a shadow it thinks OH IT'S NIGHT TIME LIGHTS ON!!!

With "the opposite side of the dash to the driver" do you mean in front of passenger seat ?

In my LHD car is s on the right side of the dash, on the passenger side.  

• Like 1

Um... yeah... I don't know why I phrased it so awkwardly :laugh: 

Blame it on post-work zombie brain... 

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2022 at 1:46 PM, flash22 said:

chime after turning the car off and opening the door is a key reminder, not the lights, unless you leave the lights on (Not set to auto or off)

leave the lights in auto you should need to touch them, DRL only come on when out of park and the handbrake released

That being said a weak 12v battery can make the electronics do strange things

Key reminder for what? When I turn the parking light off on the stalk the chiming stops.

16 hours ago, Catlover said:

Suggestion, could have turned your smartphone light on and put it near that little dome thing on the dash opposite side to the driver and fooled the car to think it’s daylight and turn headlights off. 

That's genius! Never thought of that.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

Um... yeah... I don't know why I phrased it so awkwardly :laugh: 

Blame it on post-work zombie brain... 

So I think Toyota has reversed the postion of the light sensor installing it on left side on RHD cars and on the right on LHD cars ?

• Like 1

Yup, I believe that's right!

• Like 1

Unless on a mk4 Icon, the lights are full LED so not as power hungry as halogen bulbs.

So many 12v Battery threads so I will pop this here. 

In Barbados on Friday we saw a number of cars off a transporter. A small hybrid, not sure the make, at the front bonnet open for a recharge😁

This morning after 16 days collected my Corolla from the airport. The operator had moved the car a couple of times and then delivered it to us.  No mention of any problems. 

• Thanks 1

Might be missing the point here……but auto headlamp sensitivity can be adjusted. It’s in settings or can use Carista.

8 hours ago, Starensis said:

Might be missing the point here……but auto headlamp sensitivity can be adjusted. It’s in settings or can use Carista.

Even on least sensitive it is quite eager to come on

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links