Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV... washing experiences and tips

Nick72

Don't do it. Pay someone else.

That's my advice. Just hand washed the car ...in over 6 months. Well, first time I ever actually washed it by any means. Filthy slob I am.

So that was especially hard work with all the nooks and crannies. No problem with the roof and reaching over it but I have a height advantage and long arms.

alloys were hard work.

Doors kept opening, closing all the time as I washed it. Maybe I need to put the key fob further away.

It's now dark metallic grey. For a while I was telling people it was dark beige. 😂

20220317_180021.jpg

• Haha 1

I use a pressure washer with a Snow Foam attachment, long handled brush followed by spray on polish / rinse aid. Buff with a microfibre cloth, but even at 6'1" I struggle to reach the middle of the roof and had to buy a step stool. I'm too mean to pay someone else to do it.... 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

That's my advice. Just hand washed the car ...in over 6 months. Well, first time I ever actually washed it by any means. Filthy slob I am.

So that was especially hard work with all the nooks and crannies. No problem with the roof and reaching over it but I have a height advantage and long arms.

Alloys were hard work.

Doors kept opening, closing all the time as I washed it. Maybe I need to put the key fob further away.

It's now dark metallic grey. For a while I was telling people it was dark beige. 😂

20220317_180021.jpg

HOW LONG ????
Poor car hasn't got a chance 😂😂😂😂

Power washers aren't a good idea long term either.

Personally I don't find it a bad car to wash at all. The only oddball is the rear door vertical seals that get totally covered in road grit etc and need a good clean with the hose on a gentle spray.

Just proves those seals are doing their job though.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can still use the foam if you decide against the power washer, you can purchase a foam gun that you can connect to a garden hose or use a pressure foam gun which you pump up.  I have been using foam for around three years now, originally with a power washer but when that packed up just outside the warranty I moved to the hose pipe version and recently the pressurised gun.  The garden hose would work with a car of this size, the pump up gun is hard work but it is good for my Aygo though I doubt I would use for anything bigger, although it would save you the cost of a work out at a gym.

For non power washer use you might have use a little more foam to get the right consistency.  From my experience which foam you decide to use is far more important than how the foam is applied.

• Like 1

I thought the foamer on a jet wash worked at low pressure and therefore not a detriment to paint work or trimmings.

• Like 2

Snow Foam is great and should be perfectly safe for the paintwork :biggrin: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

I thought the foamer on a jet wash worked at low pressure and therefore not a detriment to paint work or trimmings.

I sometimes take my car to the local car wash and the foam definitely seems to exit the lance at a lower pressure than when the bloke is rinsing the car.

Edited by dannyboy413
spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Snow foam is great and should be perfectly safe for the paintwork :biggrin: 

Some snow foams are acidic - that's why there is a time limit before hosing off..............😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Alloys were hard work.

20220317_180021.jpg

Totally agree. Leave it outside in the rain, clean the headlights, wash off road salt. But apart from that, pay someone 4 or 5 times a year.

Much less likely to pull your back out!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

The foam lances that are used with the pressure wash are usually adjustable to to control the amount of air that is mixed with the jet to make the foam and this will reduce the pressure.  The aim is to lay a coating of foam over each panel of the car which will cling to the dirt and slowly drip off the car which is why the choice of foam is important.   The foam is rarely applied with any force, the power washer is used to generate a great deal of foam at a low concentration of foaming liquid.

• Like 1

If the car is really mucky/winter I use Snow Foam, it's a biodegradable neutral in a hand pump which holds 3 litres and pumps to around 3bar.  It needs a few pumps but I consider that part of the exercise of cleaning the car.  I then use two buckets and a micro fibre mitt.  If I ever use a pressure washer it's always on low power and I stand well back. I see some of the guys cleaning cars in garden centres etc,. and it really hurts to see how close they get with the high power pressure lance especially on the wheels and tyres (not good!)

I also use waterless wax generally after I've cleaned off the dirt and found that to be very effective.  Very contentious but in all the cars I've used it on I've never got marks or damage.

I hope to hand clean my cars until I can no longer drive them and as long as I have a drive to do the job.

Agree with Paul the power washer Snow Foam lance is very low pressure and summer times I might use that rather than the hand pump, the hand pump is great for the winter when using a power washer may not be the best idea with cold water as there is a risk if freezing.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I also use waterless wax generally after I've cleaned off the dirt and found that to be very effective.  Very contentious but in all the cars I've used it on I've never got marks or damage..

With you using waterless wax after you washed the car, Ernie, you are not entering the “contentious” debate. I do the same as you and it works fine. The video adverts you see showing cleaning off dirty cars are impressive and I would imagine are real life scenarios, but not for me. I might put up with light markings but much prefer, like you, to wash the car first mostly with a dollop (technical term 😄) of car wash product which contains Carnuba wax (the main component of waterless wash and wax product).

• Like 1

I know this is slight topic drift however which snow foams work with low pressure hand held sprays? I have done a search and none of the reviews are clear in that respect. 

• Like 1

I have used around four different snow foams over the years and they all worked with a pressure washer and the foam gun, the only difference was the amount of neat product used.

I have recently started using Gyeon Q2M Foam which is certainly the most clingy foam I have used to date.  The bottle says it should only be used with a high quality foam lance however, in the 'how to use section' at Polished Bliss they state 200ml of foam agent should be used in a foam gun or 100ml in a foam lance.  I have so far used it in a pressurised foam gun and it not only works well but out performs the foam I used when I had the power washer.  

Gyeon is PH 12 and the recommended maximum dwell time is five minutes.

If you look on most detailing web sites they will list what best to use with each particular foam, the only reason I use Polished Bills is that each product is described in detail and I have had good service over the last few years.

• Like 2

Adrian,  I’ve used a few but currently AutoGlym Polar Blast. The 3 bar hand pump I use holds 3 litres (Gloria brand) and the foam is not as good as the a full pressure washer but to be honest I’ve been happy enough with the results and great for getting in the wheel arches when the salt has been on the roads and frankly more convenient than getting the full pressure kit out. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

I have used around four different snow foams over the years and they all worked with a pressure washer and the foam gun, the only difference was the amount of neat product used.

I have recently started using Gyeon Q2M Foam which is certainly the most clingy foam I have used to date.  The bottle says it should only be used with a high quality foam lance however, in the 'how to use section' at Polished Bliss they state 200ml of foam agent should be used in a foam gun or 100ml in a foam lance.  I have so far used it in a pressurised foam gun and it not only works well but out performs the foam I used when I had the power washer.  

Gyeon is PH 12 and the recommended maximum dwell time is five minutes.

If you look on most detailing web sites they will list what best to use with each particular foam, the only reason I use Polished Bills is that each product is described in detail and I have had good service over the last few years.

Good one. Checking out.

Learnt a couple of cars ago to unlock the car then put the key back in the house to prevent the locking and unlocking coupled with the mirror dance. My brother in law who is very capable complained about this happening and when I told him to put the key away the response was 'oh I hadn't thought of that' !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peterd23 said:

Learnt a couple of cars ago to unlock the car then put the key back in the house to prevent the locking and unlocking coupled with the mirror dance. My brother in law who is very capable complained about this happening and when I told him to put the key away the response was 'oh I hadn't thought of that' !

I think this is where I ended up. But alas I'm now just going to pay someone else 🤣

I tend to open the car then hang the key in the garage out of range, it's not moving so falls to sleep.

• Like 1

Press and hold the close button on the key fob and simultaneously press the open button twice. This isolates the key fob therefore no transmission to the car! Simples!!!

• Like 4

On 3/19/2022 at 5:01 PM, Nick72 said:

I think this is where I ended up. But alas I'm now just going to pay someone else 🤣

As long as you find and good detailer that is a valid option although a little sad as detailing a car can be fun and you know what has been used and that it was all applied correctly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

As long as you find and good detailer that is a valid option although a little sad as detailing a car can be fun and you know what has been used and that it was all applied correctly.

True. Pays to do one's research to find a good one. 

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

True. Pays to do one's research to find a good one. 

You can get some guidance from the questions he/she askes, like how long do you expect to keep the car, no much point paying for an expensive coating that lasts six years if you intend to replace it in three years.  How do you use the car and where is it kept are also relevant.  Obviously the best guidance has to be references from people he has done work for in the past. 

• Like 1