Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New to Club... "Hello"... but confused on new Infotainment and Displays... and worried about keys!

Tech429

Good morning all!

I have just received my new company car - a Corolla GR Sport 1.8 Hybrid.  Now I really do love this car but a few niggles here and there... mostly me just trying to get by on getting to know things.  Really surprised on the lack of USB - only one underneath the dash and even though a blanking plate in the central storage one would think this would have one (the Touring Sport does).  Although in-built Sat Nav I have my own Tom Tom and it seems lack of power outlets is leaving me frustrated... as I listen to music on a Flash Drive so the only USB will be taken up so no source for my Tom Tom.  I could run a lead from the central storage but the lid would not shut properly.  So now I have to buy a WiFi/Bluetooth MP3 player to connect for this purpose.

Don't get me wrong - the build quality is extremely good... the driving is comfortable... but Toyota have missed a trick on some things like in the UK Blind Spot Monitoring is not standard but in EU, Australia and the US - and possibly other places it is!

1. TPMS - does the display actually indicate which tire is low?  If not then a shock for Toyota being ahead of the game but not offering this where other manufacturers do (my old 17-plate astra did)

2. The new Infotainment System - not the one as in the User Manual so no idea how to use it.  Where do i get this information apart from going to Toyota to ask for an updated book (will be contacting them today as the car came from Swindon up to North Wales yesterday)?

3. Is the MyT App registration the only thing I need to do or do I have to also register with Toyota with some other account in addition?

4. The left gauge on the display is a rev counter... on the option it said this could change to a charge indicator counter - but can't see how to change it.

5. Keyless entry worries.  It is great to just walk up to the car and open it but worried about the thieves, etc.  Is there a way to switch this off so i only need to use the push buttons on the key fobs?  I know I can use the Battery saver mode but this just comes back on when opening the car again.

Any help would be most gratefully received to a newbie on this.

Kind regards...

Dave

18 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

Good morning all!

I have just received my new company car - a Corolla GR Sport 1.8 Hybrid.  Now I really do love this car but a few niggles here and there... mostly me just trying to get by on getting to know things.  Really surprised on the lack of USB - only one underneath the dash and even though a blanking plate in the central storage one would think this would have one (the Touring Sport does).  Although in-built Sat Nav I have my own Tom Tom and it seems lack of power outlets is leaving me frustrated... as I listen to music on a Flash Drive so the only USB will be taken up so no source for my Tom Tom.  I could run a lead from the central storage but the lid would not shut properly.  So now I have to buy a WiFi/Bluetooth MP3 player to connect for this purpose.

Don't get me wrong - the build quality is extremely good... the driving is comfortable... but Toyota have missed a trick on some things like in the UK Blind Spot Monitoring is not standard but in EU, Australia and the US - and possibly other places it is!

1. TPMS - does the display actually indicate which tire is low?  If not then a shock for Toyota being ahead of the game but not offering this where other manufacturers do (my old 17-plate astra did)

2. The new Infotainment System - not the one as in the User Manual so no idea how to use it.  Where do i get this information apart from going to Toyota to ask for an updated book (will be contacting them today as the car came from Swindon up to North Wales yesterday)?

3. Is the MyT App registration the only thing I need to do or do I have to also register with Toyota with some other account in addition?

4. The left gauge on the display is a rev counter... on the option it said this could change to a charge indicator counter - but can't see how to change it.

5. Keyless entry worries.  It is great to just walk up to the car and open it but worried about the thieves, etc.  Is there a way to switch this off so i only need to use the push buttons on the key fobs?  I know I can use the battery saver mode but this just comes back on when opening the car again.

Any help would be most gratefully received to a newbie on this.

Kind regards...

Dave

This model has TPWS so not monitoring, I think the CHR has the monitoring, unsure if Toyota might be able to upgrade this via the new infotainment system in future, OTA releases or if that requires different hardware.

You may have the new key fobs that sleep the signal when key is not moving for a min or so, try leaving a fob near the car and don't touch for a few mins, see if the car will open, if it doesn't you have the new type fob, otherwise,  use a Faraday pouch

I think toyota expects you to stream music or is online services like Spotify, can you stream from your phone via bluetooth

I'm hoping the new inbuilt satnav makes tom-tom redundant, it does get updates as often as every 2 weeks and has live traffic alerts etc for 4 years before needing a subscription 

Note,  if you use the in built satnav, the directions appear in the HUD too 

• Like 1

If you do not have the new type keys you could purchase some of the holders that blocked the signal, I used such an item on my last car and they do work.

Have you looked for a manual in the user manual section on the MyT app?  The reason I ask is because I have recently purchased an Aygo (from Swindon coincidently) and like you the multimedia system in the owners hand book is nothing like the unit I have but there is a separate multimedia manual in the downloads section that seems to cover the unit well. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hornet3D said:

Welcome to the club by the way.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

If you do not have the new type keys you could purchase some of the holders that blocked the signal, I used such an item on my last car and they do work.

Have you looked for a manual in the user manual section on the MyT app?  The reason I ask is because I have recently purchased an Aygo (from Swindon coincidently) and like you the multimedia system in the owners hand book is nothing like the unit I have but there is a separate multimedia manual in the downloads section that seems to cover the unit well. 

Hi,

Not got to do the MyT App as yet - will be doing tomorrow.  I'm a dinosaur when it comes to new tech... but need to learn.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, simond64 said:

This model has TPWS so not monitoring, I think the CHR has the monitoring, unsure if Toyota might be able to upgrade this via the new infotainment system in future, OTA releases or if that requires different hardware.

You may have the new key fobs that sleep the signal when key is not moving for a min or so, try leaving a fob near the car and don't touch for a few mins, see if the car will open, if it doesn't you have the new type fob, otherwise,  use a faraday pouch

I think toyota expects you to stream music or is online services like Spotify, can you stream from your phone via Bluetooth? 

I'm hoping the new inbuilt satnav makes tom-tom redundant, it does get updates as often as every 2 weeks and has live traffic alerts etc for 4 years before needing a subscription 

Note,  if you use the in built satnav, the directions appear in the HUD too 

Hi there,

Yes I might have the new keys but the User Manual does not mention it - it only offers the "Battery Sleep" function guide.  I do have two fob pouches on order.

As using Company Smartphone (iPhone) I am still not used to using iTunes to sort out my music playlists, etc.  I prefer actual PC mp3s files to add to a drive and use that.  I have ordered a Wi-Fi and Blutooth MP3 Player so hoping this will link to system and i can use that instead - better to upgrade from a flashdrive.

I only just upgraded my Tom Tom last year (before looking at a new Car) so as it is mine and useful I would rather use that.  But again will learn the Toyota system and go from there.  The HUD is a great thing - do like that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

Hi there,

Yes I might have the new keys but the User Manual does not mention it - it only offers the "Battery Sleep" function guide.  I do have two fob pouches on order.

As using Company Smartphone (iPhone) I am still not used to using iTunes to sort out my music playlists, etc.  I prefer actual PC mp3s files to add to a drive and use that.  I have ordered a Wi-Fi and Blutooth MP3 Player so hoping this will link to system and i can use that instead - better to upgrade from a flashdrive.

I only just upgraded my Tom Tom last year (before looking at a new Car) so as it is mine and useful I would rather use that.  But again will learn the Toyota system and go from there.  The HUD is a great thing - do like that.

The HUD is why I chose the GRSport over the Excel, had the Excel  also got a HUD I would've chosen that. 10in colour and lots of info on it,  I've used it on my 1.8 GRSport for 2 years but now will be getting the 2.0 hopefully by April. The adaptive cruze control is really useful in the motorway, just a shame no blind spot monitoring. I hope toyota add some useful features to connected services like being able to activate heating or cooling before going to the vehicle

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tech429 said:

I could run a lead from the central storage but the lid would not shut properly.  So now I have to buy a WiFi/Bluetooth MP3 player to connect for this purpose.

Does your centre console not have the indents for cables (excuse the dust on the piano finish🙃)?

3F4AC21E-C5D2-4B61-88C9-D5350237161D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c721b7b55e6c3cd0c864d469f3d81b03.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simond64 said:

The HUD is why I chose the GRSport over the Excel, had the Excel  also got a HUD I would've chosen that. 10in colour and lots of info on it,  I've used it on my 1.8 GRSport for 2 years but now will be getting the 2.0 hopefully by April. The adaptive cruze control is really useful in the motorway, just a shame no blind spot monitoring. I hope toyota add some useful features to connected services like being able to activate heating or cooling before going to the vehicle

Yes the HUD is great.

Really wish Toyota UK would offer all that other countries have.  Seems silly not to have BSM. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rambler56 said:

Does your centre console not have the indents for cables (excuse the dust on the piano finish🙃)?

3F4AC21E-C5D2-4B61-88C9-D5350237161D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c721b7b55e6c3cd0c864d469f3d81b03.jpeg

Hi,

Well yes it does have this!  Well I can't see the wood for the trees... a bit like you not being able to see your centre console for dust 😁.

Still getting an MP3 Player as this will be beneficial over a Flashdrive to be fair.  And I can still power up my Tom Tom accordingly.  Just need to find a good place to park it 🙂

Mine is company (Excel TS).

I use my own phone with tomtom, and put my flac/mp3 on that with a better player.

No credible company should be asking you take calls while driving!!

Don't worry about keyless, firstly they have a movement sensor, so sleep after so long.

Secondly,  it's a Corolla,  it seriously isn't a high end, premium  BMW, Merc, Range Rover etc 

not a 'steal to order', by any means  🤣

My Mk4 Yaris can show what the tyre pressure is for each wheel so I would expect the Corolla can too - The display for it is in the driver's multi-function dash.

You can disable the keyless entry through the vehicle options in the big infotainment screen, but it disables the keyless start as well as it's all the same system and it's a bit annoying having to hold the key fob up to the start button while pressing it.

TBH it's easier just to store the keys in a biscuit tin or a can or, if you want to be fancy, a Faraday pouch.

I think in someways Toyota have gone backwards with the corolla over the auris.  The auris I had, had a 12v socket for the rear passengers and one in the boot also the boot was bigger and more legroom for rear passengers.

the auris was also quicker on acceleration ( I felt it was anyway) I never felt that the auris handling was worse than the corolla, the corolla looks are better and I also like the safety features such auto brake and distance control on cruise. Hate the the constant beeping such as when you have got the keys in your pocket when you shut the drivers door or the passenger door when you get out the car to open the garage door I have never had a car that has so much annoying beeping noises.

I would hope that when they bring out the corolla cross and update the corolla hatch and T/S that they include auto locking after a certain speed, BSM, heated steering wheel, as you find on the rav 4 excel.

And let’s have Tpms for each individual wheel

Yeah space-wise the Corolla HB is worse than the Auris - I think that's why the estate version has been so popular - but I think it feels more powerful and handles better. Should be a fair bit better on fuel too!

23 hours ago, frizzbee30 said:

Mine is company (Excel TS).

I use my own phone with tomtom, and put my flac/mp3 on that with a better player.

No credible company should be asking you take calls while driving!!

Don't worry about keyless, firstly they have a movement sensor, so sleep after so long.

Secondly,  it's a Corolla,  it seriously isn't a high end, premium  BMW, Merc, Range Rover etc 

not a 'steal to order', by any means  🤣

Hi there,

My company do not condone taking calls whilst driving.

And yes it is a Corolla so not an issue... but these days you just never know 😄

17 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

I think in someways Toyota have gone backwards with the corolla over the auris.  The auris I had, had a 12v socket for the rear passengers and one in the boot also the boot was bigger and more legroom for rear passengers.

the auris was also quicker on acceleration ( I felt it was anyway) I never felt that the auris handling was worse than the corolla, the corolla looks are better and I also like the safety features such auto brake and distance control on cruise. Hate the the constant beeping such as when you have got the keys in your pocket when you shut the drivers door or the passenger door when you get out the car to open the garage door I have never had a car that has so much annoying beeping noises.

I would hope that when they bring out the corolla cross and update the corolla hatch and T/S that they include auto locking after a certain speed, BSM, heated steering wheel, as you find on the rav 4 excel.

And let’s have Tpms for each individual wheel

To be fair the GR Sport H/B does have auto-lock - once i start driving the doors all click locked.  Yes the T/S has an extra USB in the Centre Console but the H/B doesn't although a blanking plate there for it.  And none for back-seat passengers (not that there is much room anyhow).

TPMS is certainly one that they need to update to show each individual tyre pressure - although I hope that when it does alarm to say a tyre is low it tells you which (I can only hope)?

I'm the only one going to be in it for 94% of time for work - only 3 of us when off on holiday or to visit family, etc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah space-wise the Corolla HB is worse than the Auris - I think that's why the estate version has been so popular - but I think it feels more powerful and handles better. Should be a fair bit better on fuel too!

I have no issues with the Corolla (sans the little niggles of lack of USB, etc.) as it does feel robust, smooth and sturdy.  I have only ever driven a Yaris 1.4 Diesel and a Yaris 1.5 Petrol Hybrid before - the latter felt like it was tipping over when going round corners due to the weight of the Battery... but the Corolla does not have this feeling... and the acceleration (in my humble opinion) is not bad - even when in ECO mode.

Stand-still acceleration is most probably good due to the take off gear now fitted to prevent the lag.

I would have chosen the Touring Sports model instead of Hatch but as I feel better when travelling with work having a smaller vehicle for nipping into all the locations and construction sites i visit I felt the Hatch would be better.

Yeah, if you don't need to carry rear passengers the HB makes more sense. I agree that they have definitely improved the handling of the new TNGA-platform cars massively compared to the older ones.

I was surprised that someone thought the Auris had better acceleration than the Corolla - My feeling from driving both was the opposite, with the Corolla feeling more powerful and pulling better - but according to Parkers the Auris does have more power (!!) so maybe I'm wrong! The 0-60 times are supposedly the same so it'd make a close drag race at least :laugh: 

10 hours ago, Tech429 said:

To be fair the GR Sport H/B does have auto-lock - once i start driving the doors all click locked.

Mine does not have this feature. i have to lock by myself😁

On 3/19/2022 at 11:24 PM, DonCorleone said:

Mine does not have this feature. i have to lock by myself😁

Must be the new upgrade... shame they didn't upgrade to BSM and centre console USB