Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Who Can Remember 30-odd Years Ago...?

NorthantsRob

OK, I admit, this is an odd one.

In 1988 we bought a new Corolla from the main dealership in Northampton - a lovely car and (..my wife often tells me) we probably sold it too soon!

Thing is, I've slept a few times since then and I can't for the life of me remember the name of the dealership, or where it was in Northampton. Nothing depends on it, I'm only reminiscing, but it would be great if anyone has a better memory than me! 

I vaguely remember the Toyota dealer but its a long time ago - was it the one near the cross roads opposite Spring Grove Services on Grafton Street Industrial estate & near the Super Sausage cafe?

I've asked my friend in the trade as his family bought a new Toyota around that time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, forkingabout said:

I vaguely remember the Toyota dealer but its a long time ago - was it the one near the cross roads opposite Spring Grove Services on Grafton Street Industrial estate & near the Super Sausage cafe?

I've asked my friend in the trade as his family bought a new Toyota around that time. 

Hmm, I'm really not sure. I remember a Honda dealership around that time that used to be near Super Sausage..on the hill. Appreciate your help if your friend can help. 👍

A quick look shows Perry's but not sure if they would be Toyota at that time

It's a slow Sunday with not much going on 🤪

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Think that one was Avonvale Honda on Grafton Street…

• Like 1

This thread will start sounding like the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch from Monty Python before long. What's funny to me, though, is apart from the Super Sausage, which would be the old public baths on the corner or St. Andrews road & Grafton street (Spencer Bridge road, actually), what you are talking about is after my time. 

You are talking about the neighbourhood where I grew up, but left pretty much for good over 40 years ago!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Trg1244 said:

Think that one was Avonvale Honda on Grafton Street…

Correct! I once..almost..bought a car from there too! 

3 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

This thread will start sounding like the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch from Monty Python before long. What's funny to me, though, is apart from the Super Sausage, which would be the old public baths on the corner or St. Andrews road & Grafton street (Spencer Bridge road, actually), what you are talking about is after my time. 

You are talking about the neighbourhood where I grew up, but left pretty much for good over 40 years ago!

...whereas I moved into Northamptonshire in 1986 but can't for the life of me remember where I bought a Toyota from just 2 years later (August 1988)!! 😄 

• Haha 1

OK, for those who are interested, I've established that the dealer was Abington Motors on Wellingborough Road, Northampton. Nothing rides on me knowing but I sure feel better for actually knowing!! 😁

• Haha 1

I can’t remember that one. I can remember the old Saab dealership and the old Mazda one on Wellingborough road, but not the Toyota one. Mind you, I was only about 10 yr old at the time, and I moved away from there nearly 30 yrs ago

I've never been to the Super Sausage Cafe but passed it often when I'm taking the 'scenic route' to my bro's house (The A5 is so much more fun than the M1, except when roadworks or something turns it into a big long traffic jam... but then they like randomly closing the M1 too so it's very much a coin toss!)

Usually I see it's full of bikers, but I have wondered what is so super about their sausages! :laugh: 

19 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I've never been to the Super Sausage Cafe but passed it often when I'm taking the 'scenic route' to my bro's house (The A5 is so much more fun than the M1, except when roadworks or something turns it into a big long traffic jam... but then they like randomly closing the M1 too so it's very much a coin toss!)

Usually I see it's full of bikers, but I have wondered what is so super about their sausages! :laugh: 

There are 2 x Super Sausage in Northampton.

Then there is the The Super Sausage Cafe which is the popular one on the A5.

You should pop in as the food is excellent but be prepared to wait as it can get busy at times.

I know Chris who is one of the owners.

Its so popular with bikers that Suzuki normally hold a Classic Suzuki Sunday event there in September.

• Like 1

Looking on Google Earth pro, it looks to be where Aldi and a retirement home are now

edit - that look to be Westonia Garage/Wadham Stringer (Westonia) Ltd 81-2008 and Storm Saab

WADHAM STRINGER - AUSTIN ROVER DEALERSHIP

A bit OT, have a look here for some 80's retro

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yugo_lada/with/10606734435/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Looking on Google Earth pro, it looks to be where Aldi and a retirement home are now

edit - that look to be Westonia Garage/Wadham Stringer (Westonia) Ltd 81-2008 and Storm Saab

WADHAM STRINGER - AUSTIN ROVER DEALERSHIP

A bit OT, have a look here for some 80's retro

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yugo_lada/with/10606734435/

Yeah, I had a look on Google maps to see where the Saab garage was where I thought I remembered it being, and there’s an Aldi there now. I remember the Honda dealership on Gradton street being a thing of 70s/80s contemporary architecture, with brown tinted windows, and exposed brickwork inside. My dad got a car from there and they let me pick out what registration number I wanted from a list that they had. Strange how things like that when you’re a lad stay with you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links