Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Pressure

Hayzee

If I need to adjust the tyre pressures do I have to initialise the TPMS or is there a pressure reset switch that can be used after adjustment? I have looked at the manual but it's not really clear to me.

Couldn't say for certain on your particular car, but in any other car I’ve had you only need to reset if you’ve had a puncture causing the light to come on.

I've had the car 3 weeks and just looked at the tyre pressures on the MID and they are showing different vaules on the outside and inside wheels (all higher than recommended). I am about to check the pressures and adjust as necessary.

4 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

I've had the car 3 weeks and just looked at the tyre pressures on the MID and they are showing different vaules on the outside and inside wheels (all higher than recommended). I am about to check the pressures and adjust as necessary.

As long as your pressure gauge is accurate.

1 hour ago, Hayzee said:

If I need to adjust the tyre pressures do I have to initialise the TPMS or is there a pressure reset switch that can be used after adjustment? I have looked at the manual but it's not really clear to me.

No, the TMPS pressure values will be correctly preset and you do NOT need to mess with the reset 'switch'.

Just top-up the tyres to the correct pressure.

If you do decide that Toyota don't know what they are doing and have set the TPMS incorrectly, you simply set all four tyres to the correct pressure and select the TPMS reset function - it's one of the settings that you can access via the steering wheel mounted controls ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I picked up my car the pressures were all over the place and I did a quick adjustment then waited until I could get an over cast day so the tyres were all an even temperature around 18oC in my case and corrected them and reset.  They track up and down evenly increasing with temperature and lower when cold as expected. I’ve not had to redo them since then. I think originally they were set with one side in the sun and the other in the shade as well as being inaccurate.

it always frustrates me when I have a service and they fiddle with the pressures even if they have not moved the tyres from front to back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you mean, do you need to reset anything after adding more air to the tyres; No, you can just add air to whatever tyre as normal and don't need to do anything else..

If you mean you want to change what level the TPMS sensor warnings will kick in; Yes, you need to deflate/inflate the tyre to the PSI you want and then do the TPMS reset (And possibly go for a short drive.)

Note that it is normal for tyres to have different pressures e.g. in the morning or if the car has been sat for a while - My tyres all have the same amount of air in them (Roughly) but one side is always a higher PSI in e.g. the morning because the sun is shining on that side of the car which causes a 2-3psi difference to the shaded side. They equalize pretty quickly once I start driving tho'.

39 minutes ago, ernieb said:

When I picked up my car the pressures were all over the place and I did a quick adjustment then waited until I could get an over cast day so the tyres were all an even temperature around 18oC in my case and corrected them and reset.  They track up and down evenly increasing with temperature and lower when cold as expected. I’ve not had to redo them since then. I think originally they were set with one side in the sun and the other in the shade as well as being inaccurate.

it always frustrates me when I have a service and they fiddle with the pressures even if they have not moved the tyres from front to back. 

Ernie

True of mine too......I believe the recommended pressure is 2.3 Bar (33 PSI), mine were reading 2.7 Bar on the nearside and 2.9 Bar outside wheels. I just set them to 2.3 Bar all round and reset as you did. I wasn't sure whether I needed to reset or just adjust to correct pressure.

• Like 1

I follow the advice in a post some months ago. As pressures drop in cold weather it is necessary to add some air before winter. However, a really cold morning can bring on the TPMS warning light when there isn't really a problem. As mine were all at about 31psi when checked I reset the TPMS and then inflated to 33psi - not had a problem this winter having this small safety margin which wouldn't prevent a puncture warning.

I set mine when the tyres were 32psi all round then inflated them up to 40 :laugh:  (Which apparently is the correct pressure for 15" rims!! :eek:  Still, better than the 60 PSI they were at when the car was handed over to me by the dealer!!! PDI my shiny metal....)

Tyre pressures best to be checked early morning before the sun has seen the car otherwise pressure will be incorrect, similar to if you have checked after even a short drive. ( pressure will be a lot higher). Cold tyre pressure they called. I do that once a week and all good. 

• Like 1

I would have thought that if you adjust the tyre pressures at all you need to reset the TPMS.

It needs a correct base line to monitor the tyre pressures and show any changes.

When I check my pressures I always reset the TPMS, only takes seconds, so why not do it ?

Iain

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links