Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Oil consumption, smoke from exhaust after long idle


TOYOpeter
 Share

Recommended Posts

My avensis 1.8 petrol has been using some oil and I notice that when I park the car and leave it idling for a few minutes, it starts to smoke and smell of burned oil. When I start driving a huge cloud of smoke come out of it and it will keep smoking at the next few stoplights when the lights turn green. It only happens when the weather gets warmer, lets say 10 degrees celsius or higher.

 

Very likely the valve stem seals are no good. I have tried an additive but unfortunately no luck. So I want to try a high milage oil, this one in particular: Valvoline Max Life C3 5W30

Can I use this oil?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


What additive have you been using? You can try wynns engine stop leak, it has rubber seals rejuvenation properties and may help you and only cost £10 or less. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wynns-50664-325ml-Engine-Stop/dp/B0031ROB36/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2PMCJMHJ7PWFN&keywords=wynns+oil+stop+leak&qid=1647780589&sprefix=Wynns+oil%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUVJHS1pBOUFIWDlEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDQ4NTU1SVFQVzk2Q0kxQjRSJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MzU1MzEyUlpaUEVINTk0MTkzJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==


Most importantly is to check and replace pcv valve: 12204-37010

https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota&mdf_id=12014&area=EU&cat=273560&blk_id=1201

buy from Toyota dealer only or Toyota official store only, anything else available online is likely to be fake! Also best to use 0w20 A5 oil. A good quality one is this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petronas-Syntium-7000-0W-20-5-Litres-5L-Engine-Oil-ILSAC-GF-5-FREE-GIFT-/323898171325?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 

and oem oil filter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Lexus-Oil-Filter-04152-YZZA6-OE-Petrol-New-Original-/264482754850?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

again only from official Toyota dealer or the link it’s fine, I buy myself from them. 👍 Stick with all original and see how it’s going afterwards. What mileage is the car? You may also try to use stp engine flush prior to change the oil, then new oil and pcv, then add oil stop leak and after all that if the car still consumes a lots of oil and smoke (blue smoke) then it will mean most likely an issue with piston rings. Make sure the car smoke is blue and smells like oil and not a white steam.

Good luck 👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

What additive have you been using? You can try wynns engine stop leak, it has rubber seals rejuvenation properties and may help you and only cost £10 or less. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wynns-50664-325ml-Engine-Stop/dp/B0031ROB36/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2PMCJMHJ7PWFN&keywords=wynns+oil+stop+leak&qid=1647780589&sprefix=Wynns+oil%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUVJHS1pBOUFIWDlEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDQ4NTU1SVFQVzk2Q0kxQjRSJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MzU1MzEyUlpaUEVINTk0MTkzJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==


Most importantly is to check and replace pcv valve: 12204-37010

https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota&mdf_id=12014&area=EU&cat=273560&blk_id=1201

buy from Toyota dealer only or Toyota official store only, anything else available online is likely to be fake! Also best to use 0w20 A5 oil. A good quality one is this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petronas-Syntium-7000-0W-20-5-Litres-5L-Engine-Oil-ILSAC-GF-5-FREE-GIFT-/323898171325?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 

and oem oil filter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Lexus-Oil-Filter-04152-YZZA6-OE-Petrol-New-Original-/264482754850?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

again only from official Toyota dealer or the link it’s fine, I buy myself from them. 👍 Stick with all original and see how it’s going afterwards. What mileage is the car? You may also try to use stp engine flush prior to change the oil, then new oil and pcv, then add oil stop leak and after all that if the car still consumes a lots of oil and smoke (blue smoke) then it will mean most likely an issue with piston rings. Make sure the car smoke is blue and smells like oil and not a white steam.

Good luck 👍

What if u just ran the pcv down to bottom of engine I did that to my last car and for sure will be doing that to my new car and blanking of the other pipe going into the air intake or putting in a handy wee small air filter in there 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

What if u just ran the pcv down to bottom of engine I did that to my last car and for sure will be doing that to my new car and blanking of the other pipe going into the air intake or putting in a handy wee small air filter in there 

Up to you, I keep everything as original as is and I like it that way. Don’t know if you do it possibly only bad for the environment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


59 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Up to you, I keep everything as original as is and I like it that way. Don’t know if you do it possibly only bad for the environment. 

Can't see it doing much damage tbh couldn't be much worse than the yokes I see out abs about dude

Link to comment
Share on other sites

May fail MOT/NCT if they notice. May also trigger engine warnings? Maybe an oil catch can could be fitted as I feel like this is the sort of thing it's designed for...?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

May fail MOT/NCT if they notice. May also trigger engine warnings? Maybe an oil catch can could be fitted as I feel like this is the sort of thing it's designed for...?

These engines including Prius has already built in oil catch can and on it is located the pcv valve. All that is mounted on the block behind intake manifold. No need oil catch can, these are simply unnecessary accessories that a whole industry is built upon., good for whoever make, sell and fit, for the car owner little or no benefit. The trick is, keep it stock and service on time or even a bit more frequently but never late and use parts designed exactly for that application, preferably oem or high quality aftermarket. If this engine has an egr similar to Prius it will be beneficial to get it clean together with intake manifold and throttle body, below the body on the bottom of the manifold can be accumulated oil as much as 200ml, needs to be cleaned too. 👍

00352D32-B05B-44D5-8A36-117C2DBE0A27.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

These engines including Prius has already built in oil catch can and on it is located the pcv valve. All that is mounted on the block behind intake manifold. No need oil catch can, these are simply unnecessary accessories that a whole industry is built upon., good for whoever make, sell and fit, for the car owner little or no benefit. The trick is, keep it stock and service on time or even a bit more frequently but never late and use parts designed exactly for that application, preferably oem or high quality aftermarket. If this engine has an egr similar to Prius it will be beneficial to get it clean together with intake manifold and throttle body, below the body on the bottom of the manifold can be accumulated oil as much as 200ml, needs to be cleaned too. 👍

00352D32-B05B-44D5-8A36-117C2DBE0A27.jpeg

what about the 2.0 d4d engine the 1adftv one 2014 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

what about the 2.0 d4d engine the 1adftv one 2014 

Sorry I have no information about your engine. You can look here if it’s available, also use the site for parts numbers when needed. It might be on Russia language but you can change to EN https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

What additive have you been using? You can try wynns engine stop leak, it has rubber seals rejuvenation properties and may help you and only cost £10 or less. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wynns-50664-325ml-Engine-Stop/dp/B0031ROB36/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2PMCJMHJ7PWFN&keywords=wynns+oil+stop+leak&qid=1647780589&sprefix=Wynns+oil%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUVJHS1pBOUFIWDlEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDQ4NTU1SVFQVzk2Q0kxQjRSJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MzU1MzEyUlpaUEVINTk0MTkzJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==


Most importantly is to check and replace pcv valve: 12204-37010

https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota&mdf_id=12014&area=EU&cat=273560&blk_id=1201

buy from Toyota dealer only or Toyota official store only, anything else available online is likely to be fake! Also best to use 0w20 A5 oil. A good quality one is this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petronas-Syntium-7000-0W-20-5-Litres-5L-Engine-Oil-ILSAC-GF-5-FREE-GIFT-/323898171325?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 

and oem oil filter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Lexus-Oil-Filter-04152-YZZA6-OE-Petrol-New-Original-/264482754850?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

again only from official Toyota dealer or the link it’s fine, I buy myself from them. 👍 Stick with all original and see how it’s going afterwards. What mileage is the car? You may also try to use stp engine flush prior to change the oil, then new oil and pcv, then add oil stop leak and after all that if the car still consumes a lots of oil and smoke (blue smoke) then it will mean most likely an issue with piston rings. Make sure the car smoke is blue and smells like oil and not a white steam.

Good luck 👍

Thanks for your reply. A year ago I cleaned the PCV, but didn't replace it. Stupid I know, maybe I need to swap that out for a new one first. 

The blue smoke only start when I let the car idle for a few minutes, so I didn't really think of the pcv, because if it would be stuck open, I think the car would smoke 24/7. But maybe I should just replace it for a new one anyway to be sure.

I have tried 2 additives, I believe wynns stop leak was one of them.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TOYOpeter said:

Thanks for your reply. A year ago I cleaned the PCV, but didn't replace it. Stupid I know, maybe I need to swap that out for a new one first. 

The blue smoke only start when I let the car idle for a few minutes, so I didn't really think of the pcv, because if it would be stuck open, I think the car would smoke 24/7. But maybe I should just replace it for a new one anyway to be sure.

I have tried 2 additives, I believe wynns stop leak was one of them.

You have done pretty much all the basics, have you cleaned throttle body and have you ever removed it from the intake manifold? When I first cleaned mine on my 1.8 hybrid I removed the body from the manifold and there was oil there seating under the body, probably around 100-150ml of engine oil. Perhaps if your engine has it the same and the car sucks ii while on idle then burn and smoke, it’s just my thoughts. , maybe worth checking. For the pcv best to replace it. I did once and I am thinking again when going to remove intake and egr for periodic maintenance. 
Regards 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

You have done pretty much all the basics, have you cleaned throttle body and have you ever removed it from the intake manifold? When I first cleaned mine on my 1.8 hybrid I removed the body from the manifold and there was oil there seating under the body, probably around 100-150ml of engine oil. Perhaps if your engine has it the same and the car sucks ii while on idle then burn and smoke, it’s just my thoughts. , maybe worth checking. For the pcv best to replace it. I did once and I am thinking again when going to remove intake and egr for periodic maintenance. 
Regards 👍

Oh yes I cleaned the throttle body before and it was a huge improvement. My car was idling rough and that fixed it.

Hmm interesting.. I didn't pay much attention when the air intake was removed. If there is no oil in it, would you recommend clean it anyway with something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TOYOpeter said:

Oh yes I cleaned the throttle body before and it was a huge improvement. My car was idling rough and that fixed it.

Hmm interesting.. I didn't pay much attention when the air intake was removed. If there is no oil in it, would you recommend clean it anyway with something?

Not sure how it’s on your engine exactly but on Prius when you remove the throttle body there is very high possibility there will be an oil paddle underneath. Here on the picture circle in red. If you’re engine has similar set up you can undo the bolts, lift the body and look at, if there is any oil just wipe it with clean cloth. Intake itself doesn’t need cleaning except if you have an egr system and small ports built into the main intake ports , again circled in red on the second picture. I believe your intake is slightly different and what I said may not apply to your engine, but best to have a look to make sure all is ok. 👍

96C667FF-888E-4FFA-B1A8-B6DA4AA3FD34.jpeg

1AACF720-C7CB-4F18-98EA-4993A32E5CD4.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a new pcv valve and installed it today. I started the car and drove around for a bit, no codes and went home.

Abit later I need to do some groceries and start the car with this, see video.

Anyone know what it could be?

 

Edit: scanned for codes and it is P0660

 

Something to do with the intake manifold.. Im sure it is installed correctly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TOYOpeter said:

I bought a new pcv valve and installed it today. I started the car and drove around for a bit, no codes and went home.

Abit later I need to do some groceries and start the car with this, see video.

Anyone know what it could be?

 

Edit: scanned for codes and it is P0660

 

Something to do with the intake manifold.. Im sure it is installed correctly

 

Hi, if you have removed the intake manifold have you connected the wire harness of the manifold tuning valve? This what you need to check first. 👍https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/p0660-toyota-avensis/

1EAA7D0D-AB42-4BB5-AA7A-CE40DBC720F2.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, if you have removed the intake manifold have you connected the wire harness of the manifold tuning valve? This what you need to check first. 👍https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/p0660-toyota-avensis/

1EAA7D0D-AB42-4BB5-AA7A-CE40DBC720F2.jpeg

I cleared the code again yesterday and this morning all the lights came back. I opened the hood and the connector to the manifold turning valve was a bit loose. I heard a click when I pressed it hard and started the car, cleared the code again, turn off the car . Start the car back and the code did not return. Hopefully it will stay that way 🙂

 

and I really hope the smoking problem will be resolved now. The new pcv valve rattles much more freely than the old one. I will find out if it has worked after a longer trip and let it sit idling for a bit.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Luckily the dashboard doesn't look like a christmas tree anymore.

Unfortunately the smoking is still happening after idling for a few minutes when the engine is warmed up. Im afraid it is the valve stem seals. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I wanted to update that I solved thw blue smoke myself. I went to the toyota dealer and asked them to check why the car is smoking. I left my car there the whole day and at the end of the day they called and said they "didn't find any leaks, so it is internal engine wear". I was very dissapointed that they didn't even try to diagnose what the issue could be. I took the car back and changed oil and filter a couple days later. This time I bought Valvoline Maxlif 10W-40 in the hope the thicker viscousity at operating temperature would stop the oil burning somehow. This was a long shot as I was still not sure what the cause was, but after driving a lot lately with many stop and go and idling, the problem is "fixed" for now. Once my kids grow up a little bit more I will trade in this car for something smaller, so I am happy with this bandaid fix.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2022 at 1:40 AM, TOYOpeter said:

I wanted to update that I solved thw blue smoke myself. I went to the toyota dealer and asked them to check why the car is smoking. I left my car there the whole day and at the end of the day they called and said they "didn't find any leaks, so it is internal engine wear". I was very dissapointed that they didn't even try to diagnose what the issue could be. I took the car back and changed oil and filter a couple days later. This time I bought Valvoline Maxlif 10W-40 in the hope the thicker viscousity at operating temperature would stop the oil burning somehow. This was a long shot as I was still not sure what the cause was, but after driving a lot lately with many stop and go and idling, the problem is "fixed" for now. Once my kids grow up a little bit more I will trade in this car for something smaller, so I am happy with this bandaid fix.

How many miles has your car covered. My Avensis 1.8 Valvematic Tourer (2009 - '58 plate) has cover at least 99,511 miles, and apart from the minor idle problem runs very well. I have always used fully synthetic 0w20 oil every oil change with very little need for oil top up, between changes. It could be luck of the draw and a few cars have issues. 

Considering the engine was designed to run on 0w20, I would be very reluctant to use a heavier engine oil, especially as the oil goes through the Valvematic controllers and other parts of the engine. 10w40 is probably the heavier but fine for UK temperatures.
Hope the car runs fine and the smoke emissions are low. What are the MOT exhaust emissions?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2022 at 11:52 AM, Konrad C said:

How many miles has your car covered. My Avensis 1.8 Valvematic Tourer (2009 - '58 plate) has cover at least 99,511 miles, and apart from the minor idle problem runs very well. I have always used fully synthetic 0w20 oil every oil change with very little need for oil top up, between changes. It could be luck of the draw and a few cars have issues. 

Considering the engine was designed to run on 0w20, I would be very reluctant to use a heavier engine oil, especially as the oil goes through the Valvematic controllers and other parts of the engine. 10w40 is probably the heavier but fine for UK temperatures.
Hope the car runs fine and the smoke emissions are low. What are the MOT exhaust emissions?  

140k kilometres. I am not from the UK,( when registering I had to select a location from the UK) but from the Netherlands. the car passes the emissions test fine. They never really provide values if it is ok. 

10W40 grade can be used according to the manual, although it is on the thicker side, the car runs fine and starts immediately. I don't even notice any difference in how the engine behaves with 0w20 or 10w40 with these temperatures. I might notice it during winter though.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tony reminds me/

"You may also try to use stp engine flush prior to change the oil, then new" 

My mechanics would collect my car and pour in a can of an engine flush before taking the car for its oil change. 

Is this only worth it for higher mileage cars? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been told it's a very bad idea to use engine oil chemical flushes unless the engine has always used them from new; The reasoning was something like that if none of the previous owners did it and you start, the deposits that had built up over the years and become part of the sealing will get dissolved away and where they were 'covering up' wear, that wear is now exposed which can cause a rise in oil consumption...

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

I've been told it's a very bad idea to use engine oil chemical flushes unless the engine has always used them from new; The reasoning was something like that if none of the previous owners did it and you start, the deposits that had built up over the years and become part of the sealing will get dissolved away and where they were 'covering up' wear, that wear is now exposed which can cause a rise in oil consumption...

 

That's true I did that one time to my 1.9tdi don't think helped much but not wild long after had to get head gasket done 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Tony reminds me/

"You may also try to use stp engine flush prior to change the oil, then new" 

My mechanics would collect my car and pour in a can of an engine flush before taking the car for its oil change. 

Is this only worth it for higher mileage cars? 

 

Using quality engine flush is good for any engine that has done 40k miles or more, or if the car is older than 3 years. The chemical content it’s made to be safe for seals, gaskets and all other engine parts. Engine flush will not accelerate oil leaks or stop them and will not cause any harm, it only helps to keep engine internals clean. If the car is old and engine oil is very dirty and the car been neglected then it is advisable to do few quick oil changes which will act as flush but less aggressive and then use engine flush. The reason is that oil passages and galleys are very small and if a larger chunk of deposits breaks off and start flowing through may get stuck and starve the engine for oil, this is perhaps very rare occurrence and more like a myth. There are also metal mesh screens along the oil system that also may get blocked but that can happen even with the oil circulating on. Engine flush really helps clean the engine. Even Toyota sells and recommends to use with oil change. My choice here is stp red bottle, it’s cheapest and one of the best, probably been using it more than 10 times on my current Auris and a lot more on many different cars, some very dirty ones. https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/stp-engine-flush-450ml-for-petrol-and-diesel-vehicles-549771811

 easiest way to compare engine flush is to descaling a coffee machine, you just remove the scale and make it easier for the machine to work longer. 👌

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership