Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Help


Recommended Posts

Hi All!! I’m new to this! I’m looking to buy the Toyota Yaris Cross Hybrid, however I’m confused…… I’ve heard it’s great for small trips around the city which is great. However I will be travelling around 38 miles a day from home to work. My question….. is the car good on motorway? Will I get good MPG?? After reading some reviews it had made me really nervous as im looking to get an economical car. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SK101 said:

Hi All!! I’m new to this! I’m looking to buy the Toyota Yaris Cross Hybrid, however I’m confused…… I’ve heard it’s great for small trips around the city which is great. However I will be travelling around 38 miles a day from home to work. My question….. is the car good on motorway? Will I get good MPG?? After reading some reviews it had made me really nervous as im looking to get an economical car. 

Try not to travel at Motorway speeds and if you can travel at a constant 56-60mph you will be amazed.

Remember that it is not the car, it is the Driver (you) S !

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

However if I am going around 65 - 70 MPH what sort of MPG am I looking at ? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No problems at all on motorways, Toyota hybrids are as efficient as diesels or even better. People are saying hybrid are designed only for short town trips probably has never tried one. I drive Auris hybrid every day 200+ miles on uk motorways and I am getting great mpg, 50+ in winter and 60 + in summer. Yaris cross can do even better. 👍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SK101 said:

However if I am going around 65 - 70 MPH what sort of MPG am I looking at ? 🙂

60mpg 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you want quick acceleration and leave tyre marks at traffic lights, don’t have one. If you want ultra- reliability, high mpg, good dealer network and sensible driving, have one! 👍

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Starensis said:

If you want quick acceleration and leave tyre marks at traffic lights, don’t have one. If you want ultra- reliability, high mpg, good dealer network and sensible driving, have one! 👍

Hi Mate, definitely need something good on MPG. I will drive the car sensibly off course …. If I am doing around 36 miles a day on a motorway I’m hoping the car will good on fuel for me? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why the Cross? The normal Yaris is a better car IMHO - It's more agile and lighter and I bet it'll beat the Cross for MPG easily.

Both use the same drive train AFAIK.

It's very capable on the motorway, can match my old Mk1 diesel for mpgs which is very impressive for a petrol engine on the motorway.

It does prefer 56-60, esp. if you're using the cruise control, to get the stupidly high mpgs (My Mk4 was showing an indicated 80mpg average on the way home with the CC set to 59mph!).

One thing that's vastly improved with this drivetrain is it has very good burst acceleration - It's absolutely effortless to jump to 70mph, sweep past a lorry, then drop back to the set CC speed, and it doesn't affect the mpg anywhere near as much as it should. What does kill the mpg is sustained heavy acceleration (surprising I know! :laugh: ), but a quick blip here and there hardly affects it.

If you drive manually and can get the hang of pulse and gliding, you can average higher speeds and still get such silly high mpgs, but the CC is very alluring because it makes long boring motorway miles sooo effortless.

I absolutely love my Mk4 because it *can* absolutely haul when I want it to, but can quickly switch back to a gentle relaxed cruise and feel just as at home with it. There aren't many cars that feel so at home in such opposite states!

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Why the Cross? The normal Yaris is a better car IMHO - It's more agile and lighter and I bet it'll beat the Cross for MPG easily.

Both use the same drive train AFAIK.

It's very capable on the motorway, can match my old Mk1 diesel for mpgs which is very impressive for a petrol engine on the motorway.

It does prefer 56-60, esp. if you're using the cruise control, to get the stupidly high mpgs (My Mk4 was showing an indicated 80mpg average on the way home with the CC set to 59mph!).

One thing that's vastly improved with this drivetrain is it has very good burst acceleration - It's absolutely effortless to jump to 70mph, sweep past a lorry, then drop back to the set CC speed, and it doesn't affect the mpg anywhere near as much as it should. What does kill the mpg is sustained heavy acceleration (surprising I know! :laugh: ), but a quick blip here and there hardly affects it.

If you drive manually and can get the hang of pulse and gliding, you can average higher speeds and still get such silly high mpgs, but the CC is very alluring because it makes long boring motorway miles sooo effortless.

I absolutely love my Mk4 because it *can* absolutely haul when I want it to, but can quickly switch back to a gentle relaxed cruise and feel just as at home with it. There aren't many cars that feel so at home in such opposite states!

 

I agree with Cyker, unless you need the extra space in the Cross, the Yaris is perfectly happy on the motorway and will have a better all round ride than the Cross. I considered the the Cross but decided I didn’t need to haul around the extra weight and space that I didn’t need.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

I agree with Cyker, unless you need the extra space in the Cross, the Yaris is perfectly happy on the motorway and will have a better all round ride than the Cross. I considered the the Cross but decided I didn’t need to haul around the extra weight and space that I didn’t need.

Exactly the reason we are switching from Corolla to Yarus Cross.  We had considered the Sport for luggage but then saw the Cross with its higher seating position.  This was more important than boot space, both negative points on the Corolla.

Waiting for the Corolla Cross was an option until the dealer offered a no payment increase swapping to the Yaris.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Why the Cross? The normal Yaris is a better car IMHO - It's more agile and lighter and I bet it'll beat the Cross for MPG easily.

Both use the same drive train AFAIK.

It's very capable on the motorway, can match my old Mk1 diesel for mpgs which is very impressive for a petrol engine on the motorway.

It does prefer 56-60, esp. if you're using the cruise control, to get the stupidly high mpgs (My Mk4 was showing an indicated 80mpg average on the way home with the CC set to 59mph!).

One thing that's vastly improved with this drivetrain is it has very good burst acceleration - It's absolutely effortless to jump to 70mph, sweep past a lorry, then drop back to the set CC speed, and it doesn't affect the mpg anywhere near as much as it should. What does kill the mpg is sustained heavy acceleration (surprising I know! :laugh: ), but a quick blip here and there hardly affects it.

If you drive manually and can get the hang of pulse and gliding, you can average higher speeds and still get such silly high mpgs, but the CC is very alluring because it makes long boring motorway miles sooo effortless.

I absolutely love my Mk4 because it *can* absolutely haul when I want it to, but can quickly switch back to a gentle relaxed cruise and feel just as at home with it. There aren't many cars that feel so at home in such opposite states!

 

Hi Pal, I need the boot space on the Yaris cross and a standard Yaris doesn’t give me that. This will be my first Toyota so I’m really excited!! I test drove one over the weekend and it was fantastic on local roads giving me an excellent MPG. I’m a little nervous on the motorway not sure what MPG it will give me. I need something cheap to run and something decent on MPG….

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, SK101 said:

Hi Pal, I need the boot space on the Yaris cross and a standard Yaris doesn’t give me that. This will be my first Toyota so I’m really excited!! I test drove one over the weekend and it was fantastic on local roads giving me an excellent MPG. I’m a little nervous on the motorway not sure what MPG it will give me. I need something cheap to run and something decent on MPG….

If I needed the boot space then the Yaris Cross would’ve been my choice too, and you got a great deal 👏👏

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to add to what others are saying, the Yaris hatchback is really good on the motoway, even at 70 with the cruise control you'll get 50 plus MPG.

65 mph will give you over 60 mpg. It's pretty stable and quiet too. Once the desired speed has been reached, the revs drop substantially.

The Cross will probably not be quite as smooth riding - and will be a little less economical, but i expect it's still the most economical in it's class.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What Car actually got better MPG on their True MPG test (including motorway driving) from a Yaris Cross, 60.1 MPG Cross, 59.9 std Yaris.

Our Yaris has done 58.8 mpg over just over 6100 miles since the end of September.  The vast majority of this has been done on motorway / dual carriageway with limited regard to maximum economy and some of the driving at Autoroute speeds (where the limit is in excess of 80mph).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay I was going to drive without the CC on the way home to see if I could keep the mpg up at a higher speed, but it turns out I have no patience and ended up just burning past all these inferior slow cars and lorrys and ended up absolutely wrecking my mpg average: It's dropped to a measly 76mpg!! :crybaby: :laughing:

 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kental said:

What Car actually got better MPG on their True MPG test (including motorway driving) from a Yaris Cross, 60.1 MPG Cross, 59.9 std Yaris.

Our Yaris has done 58.8 mpg over just over 6100 miles since the end of September.  The vast majority of this has been done on motorway / dual carriageway with limited regard to maximum economy and some of the driving at Autoroute speeds (where the limit is in excess of 80mph).

Thank you for this information. Literally sold me on purchasing one. Thank you 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SK101 said:

Thank you for this information. Literally sold me on purchasing one. Thank you 

Oh yes and nearly all of the time Adaptive Cruise is active rather than proactive driving techniques.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kental said:

Oh yes and nearly all of the time Adaptive Cruise is active rather than proactive driving techniques.

Good advise. How much miles do you get on a full tank ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SK101 said:

Good advise. How much miles do you get on a full tank ?

I generally gets filled when convenient rather than running down, but around 370 miles takes 28 litres.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kental said:

I generally gets filled when convenient rather than running down, but around 370 miles takes 28 litres.

Great stuff! On average how long does that last you ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, SK101 said:

Great stuff! On average how long does that last you ? 

A week to 10 days....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership