Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

The Battery is under the back seat, the Battery is made by Yuasa no where keeps them on the shelf apart from the dealer and a few sellers

S34B20R - 28800-21181 (right hand Negative)

price wise £130 to 160 delivered

random vid off youtube - ALWAYS disconnect the NEGATIVE first !!!!!!!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Cat, is it not the case that he can't source a battery? 

No, he says he needs to replace it, it’s gone flat,  he says he cannot get anyone to do it, I know of places won’t touch a hybrid, no matter what needs doing*.  And he says Toyota dealer will charge him flat truck prices, which he says is excessive for a Battery change.

* back in 2018 I went to TAYNA batteries, Abergele, bought an AGM Battery for a Auris hybrid, I knew TAYNA didn’t do fitting but they sent me across the road to a garage. As soon as he knew it was Hybrid it was a no can do. When I got home I did it myself. Just didn’t have tools with me when I went for it, driving home with a new Battery would have been good.

But, with a booster or with cables and another car he should be able to switch the Yaris to READY mode and drive it till the dealer.

13 minutes ago, RickyC said:

But, with a booster or with cables and another car he should be able to switch the Yaris to READY mode and drive it till the dealer.

IF they have a Battery in stock AND they are willing to fit it, a bit of a not starter

IMHO the op should be able to find someone in their neighbourhood that can help them out, it's not rocket surgery

Toyota do a replacement 12v Battery under fixed price servicing for 105 quid. I couldn't buy the Battery on it's own anywhere for less than that.

That's fitted with a wash and vacuum to boot. You can book it online or through their app.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, preperationlaunch said:

Toyota do a replacement 12v battery under fixed price servicing for 105 quid. I couldn't buy the battery on it's own anywhere for less than that.

That's fitted with a wash and vacuum to boot. You can book it online or through their app.

It depends on the dealer as they are franchised dealers in the South like to screw every penny out of you, there are still supply issues

the Hybrid uses an AGM Battery, so more than likely not covered under that deal

If the 12 volt Battery goes flat after a couple of days of non use there is something wrong. Either the Battery has come to the end of it's natural life or there's a parasitic drain somewhere. My 2015 hybrid is still on it's original Battery and has never let me down even though the car often sits idle for 3 or 4 days and rarely gets a long run.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, preperationlaunch said:

Toyota do a replacement 12v battery under fixed price servicing for 105 quid. I couldn't buy the battery on it's own anywhere for less than that.

An AGM Battery is more than that, if he needs an AGM, but a dealer may do a good deal.

8 hours ago, BanburyMan said:

I have this issue on an older Yaris Hybrid.  

It is absolutely infuriating.  It makes the car completely unreliable as you never know whether it will start after not being used for a couple of days.  

Toyota dealers don't want to know.

Is your 12v the original?  If so, it likely it’s come to the end of its useful life (it’s now entered it’s useless life 😄)

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

An AGM battery is more than that, if he needs an AGM, but a dealer may do a good deal.

Nope. That was for an AGM Battery, booked through the MyT app. I booked on the Monday and had an appointment on the Wednesday. 

The service manager was surprised too, it would’ve been about £190 without the fixed price servicing.

Note, I’ve no servicing plans or anything on the car. It is just the price Toyota charge. 

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

It depends on the dealer as they are franchised dealers in the South like to screw every penny out of you, there are still supply issues

the Hybrid uses an AGM battery, so more than likely not covered under that deal

It was covered. You book it based on the reg or VIN of the car, which then shows you the various options including hybrid health checks. So the system knows it’s a hybrid.

You can book for any participating dealer through MyToyota. 

I got mine done a few weeks ago. 

• 4 weeks later...

When you connect it, please let us know what voltage this 4.8W panel gives. thanks
I assume that the actual supplied current will be 120-160 mA

• 3 weeks later...

today driven 50 km - about 60 minutes
20 minutes 14.4V
40 minutes 13V

day ride without lights
smart recharging + high parasitic consumption DCM will soon kill 12V 35Ah car Battery
KIA technicians recommend 100% recharging of car batteries with an external charger for hybrids twice a month

1651238242746_01_small.jpg

DCM.PNG

Dala, that's what I read.  Given that requirement suggests a charger should be provided. 

Toyota work around is putting it in Ready mode.  

I think a charger is a lesser PITA 

Tempting but gosh those prices, and also as the car isn't designed for lithium 12V I'm a little worried about whether it might overcharge them which has much worse consequences in a lithium pack than a lead-acid one!

Plus it doesn't solve the original problem, i.e. not getting enough charge into the Battery in the first place due to lack of use.

I am surprised more manufacturers don't design lithium batteries in tho' as that is a significant weight saving (And thus higher mpg and lower CO2!)

But then this is sector where they will take away your spare-wheel, citing CO2 and mpg, but then put 87" rims on the car... what is logic!

• Like 2

Sad to hear this is still an issue.  The only time I ever called out the AA for the nearly 12 years I had my Prius was because the wretched 12v Battery had gone flat.  All they did was jump start it with a portable power pack so I bought one for myself and kept that charged.  Looks like I should keep that for my Yaris.  Agree with earlier comment that Toyota should give you warning that the 12v Battery is low rather than letting you find out the hard way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, idlemarvel said:

Sad to hear this is still an issue.  The only time I ever called out the AA for the nearly 12 years I had my Prius was because the wretched 12v battery had gone flat.  All they did was jump start it with a portable power pack so I bought one for myself and kept that charged.  Looks like I should keep that for my Yaris.  Agree with earlier comment that Toyota should give you warning that the 12v battery is low rather than letting you find out the hard way.

May be a suggest in the app so that they can include Battery warning messages 

• Like 2

On 4/29/2022 at 9:21 PM, Spo2 said:

May be a suggest in the app so that they can include battery warning messages 

The kit exists, Google 12v bluetooth Battery monitor.  Its about £27 and seems to work.  Its weakness appears to be range probably because it is inside a metal box 😁

To integrate something like this into the App would need Toyota to wire in a device and have the system connected via the Servers to the App.  Be a bit more than £27. 

It would probably be one more system to drain the Battery battery and need a push command to alert you.  I suppose it could use a voltage trigger, say 10v, before waking up. 

• Like 1

Pandora alarm
automatic engine start according to Battery voltage to be charged
Too bad the Toyota Yaris 2020 doesn't work 😞

remote start battery voltage.PNG

battery automatic start_small.PNG

Dala, not exactly useful in UK where you must be in attendance.  Also a bit iffy in a locked garage😁

Very useful in deepest Canada where you either plug the car into a charger/sump heater or simply keep it running through lunch hour. 

• Like 1