Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'Officially' not new...

Rav Rob

Well that time has come, the washer low warning message came on so I had to fill the tank, To me that means its no longer a 'new' car as it doesn't have all factory fluids in it.

When does yours no longer quite feel new? first wash?, first service?, reg. year change?

• Haha 1

If you really love the car, then it’s just like your beloved partner it will always be new to you 😂🤣🥰🥰

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

Well that time has come, the washer low warning message came on so I had to fill the tank, To me that means its no longer a 'new' car as it doesn't have all factory fluids in it.

I think the cars have very little fuel in the tank when they are loaded onboard the ship for export, so they probably get more when they reach the distribution agency/dealer.  Does the dealer adding fuel count as "factory"?

5 minutes ago, IanML said:

I think the cars have very little fuel in the tank when they are loaded onboard the ship for export, so they probably get more when they reach the distribution agency/dealer.  Does the dealer adding fuel count as "factory"?

Fuel is excluded from my criteria for the same reason.

When that new car smell starts to fade, so a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

After the first scratch or stone chip. 

When you don't wash it by hand as soon as it is dirty. 

When you don't wipe the dust off with a Netlon Brush. 

It becomes secondhand as soon as you have registered it in your name, so the next owner would be the second.

Not having low washer fluid warning on my 'poverty' spec. PHEV Dynamic I suppose it will be forever new 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Not having low washer fluid warning on my 'poverty' spec. PHEV Dynamic I suppose it will be forever new 🤣🤣🤣🤣

perhaps your PHEV is so ecological and Green it will never run out as collects rain water and recycles it...

• Haha 2

At least it lasts a lot longer than the washer fluid on my last Subaru XV.  I tend to top it up regularly rather then allow it to run out. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rav Rob said:

perhaps your PHEV is so ecological and Green it will never run out as collects rain water and recycles it...

Ah, the days when cars didn't have screen washers. 

Used to stop my Ford Anglia to scrape the salt off. A friend with a Consul used to open the side window and use a squeegee bottle. 

• Haha 1

Even worse was when the Ford’s had the windscreen wipers powered by the vacuum from the intake and as you got to a constant speed the wipers stopped, then you had to stop nd clean the screen completely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Even worse was when the Ford’s had the windscreen wipers powered by the vacuum from the intake and as you got to a constant speed the wipers stopped, then you had to stop nd clean the screen completely.

What I remember was the wipers stopped when you opened the throttle to overtake and only went fast when you lifted off. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

What I remember was the wipers stopped when you opened the throttle to overtake and only went fast when you lifted off. 

You could well be right it was a long time ago and I never actually owned a Ford then it was my mates.

Back in the sixties my friend had an old beat up Commer van and the wiper motor was banjaxed, he rigged up a rubber bicycle tube and string coming in the window. Pulled the string and the rubber band pulled the wiper blade back across the windscreen again 🤣😂.

Good grief I'm glad I'm not old enough to have had to experience any of that!!! It was bad enough having a Fiesta with a dodgy wiper motor, nevermind not having one at all!!! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

You’re joking!? It’s a £42k car and they didn’t include that! 😂

• Haha 1

I remember traveling early one morning to a training course and at the time I had a Vauxhall Viva where the heater was so poor I drove with feet like blocks of ice.  You could see your breath in the air it was that cold, the journey was just over an hour but it seemed much, much longer.

• Sad 1

For me it is not when a car stops being new but when is stops being special but this may be due to the fact that I have only ever had two cars from new.   I recently purchased an Aygo ex-demonstrator so that was not new either but I guess it comes closer than anything else I have purchased other than the two new ones.  

The Hyundia Coupe stopped being new as soon as I noticed how bad the alloy wheels had begun to look.  The only other new car I purchased was a limited edition Honda Civic Jordan which was number 20 in the run and I cannot remember that losing it's newness.  Strangely the CRV I swapped for the Aygo was never new as I purchased it at eighteen months old but it was special and in many ways I regret trading it in for the Aygo.  I think the third car that remained special was the Vauxhall Carlton which was really luxurious and, while not rare, you did not see other examples.  Last but not least was the Toyota MK1 MR2, a very special car, again not new but it was reliable and such fun to drive.  We made so many memories in that car it was really was very, very special.

The Aygo for me is still a new car despite the fact it was registered in July of last year and I am the second owner.  The real test for me is if it becomes special and for now it is too soon to decide.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I had a Wolseley 1500 with vacuum washers, uphill they'd only just reach the bottom of the screen, downhill it'd wash the windscreen of the car behind.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bcc212 said:

You’re joking!? It’s a £42k car and they didn’t include that! 😂

Not even optional ☹️.

1 hour ago, Hornet3D said:

at the time I had a Vauxhall Viva where the heater was so poor I drove with feet like blocks of ice.  You could see your breath in the air it was that cold, 

I remember when cars had windscreen heaters - a small bar with a bare coiled element and fastened to the bottom of the screen with two suckers. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My brother in law had an old Ford Anglia (three speed gearbox) and going uphill he used his left knee to keep it from slipping out of 2nd gear. No heater, no radio.

15 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

My brother in law had an old Ford Anglia (three speed gearbox) and going uphill he used his left knee to keep it from slipping out of 2nd gear. No heater, no radio.

Luxury 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Not even optional ☹️.

But I will swap you my sensor washer bottle for your non-sensor bottle if...

you also swap me your 302bhp for my 222bhp 😉

• Like 1