Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Random dimming of satnav and instrument panel

fortytwo

Hello all. This is my first post here, but I've owned Avenses (plural) for many years. Now thinking of downsizing to a hatchback, and a Corolla hybrid ought to fit my needs perfectly.

I took a test drive in a 2020 1.8 Icon Tech on a bright sunny day, and noticed that at seemingly random times the satnav display would change to mapping with black background, and instruments would dim. In fact it spent most of the time in this dimmed mode. This made the map unreadable, and the instruments difficult to read. As I experienced it, it could by itself prevent me buying a Corolla.

Thinking of my current Avensis, it does the same dimming trick when the lights are switched on. So I'm wondering if on the Corolla this is linked to the automatic lights.

So two questions, that hopefully Corolla owners here can answer. Is the displays' night-time mode linked to the automatic lights, with no way to force them to stay in day-time mode? And has anyone else experienced this switching into night-time mode on a bright day with direct sunlight, or does this point to a fault with the car I drove? 

Thanks in advance 

Andrew

6 hours ago, fortytwo said:

And has anyone else experienced this switching into night-time mode on a bright day with direct sunlight

Mine does it when you go under a bridge, or under trees when the lights conditions means the headlights come on. But it doesn't make the screen, or the instrument panel, unreadable, only dimmer, and only lasts momentarily.

Anyway, you can disable that functionality within the settings menus, however you might find the screen and dash rather too bright for driving at night.

• Like 2

I would say this does point to a fault with the car you drove. Navigation display shouldn't stay in night mode(unless specifically set). My display will switch to night mode occasionally with dark surroundings but snaps back. Day mode is linked to automatic lights. There are comprehensive settings for contrast, brightness etc for display. I know I can force night display during daylight but not sure I can force day mode on permanently.

As others have said display screen briefly will go to night mode under bridges and trees and also the lights come on then comes back to day mode when sufficient light is detected it all depends on the ambient light outside but I have never noticed the instruments dimming as on mine they are adjusted manually.

as Beeblebrox has said sounds like a fault shouldn’t default to night mode most of the time in bright sunshine could be a faulty sensor or something on top of the dash occasionally covering the sensor.

• Like 2

The dimming is quite normal, I see it frequently.  But I think it happens less now the Auto Light Sensitivity has been changed to -2.

If it was a testdrive car I wonder if there was something stuck to the windscreen that was above the light sensor...?

Thanks all for your replies. Seems like I need to try another Corolla. Now I know where the sensor is, and that display brightness and light sensitivity can be altered.

I also need to be sure I can tolerate the tyre and wind noise at 60mph and above. I was really surprised how poor that seemed. But I know that's a topic covered previously in this forum.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links