Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help needed with upcoming oil change on 2009 Rav 4 3ZR-FAE

Mr.Fixit-Norm

Hi Folks,

I’m planning to do an oil change on my 59 plate Rav4 which is fitted with the Petrol Variomatic 3ZR-FAE engine. I’ve got the small paper cartridge filter, the filter holder removal tool and the correct oil, my only problem is where the filter is located underneath ?

I’ve done loads of searches on the net and can’t find any pictures or images which clearly show the location for this particular engine 🤔.

I just wondered if anyone with one of these Rav’s knows exactly where it’s located and it’s orientation ( horizontal or vertical) or even better, a link to an image that shows it 

Many thanks,

Norm

Thanks for that Willem, it’s a great help 🙂.

looks much more of a faff than on my old mk 2 🙄, used to be really easy on that !

Norm

I got the oil and filter change done this afternoon, not quite the same as the diagram in Willem’s link. Took me about an hour from start to finish but I’m a bit creaky so getting up and down from under the front of the car takes me longer these days 😂

If anyones interested, it can be done by jacking up the front of the car with a trolly jack on the front suspension arm base, the sump plug is easy to get to when laying just under the front of the car and is a 14mm bolt. 
The filter was very tight but came off eventually, and there is no plastic panel cover to remove, so that makes it easier.

The picture I’ve added may help anyone else doing an oil change on the same model. 
one thing I would say, be careful when putting the filter canister removal tool on if you can’t get far enough under to see where the ‘fins’ are that fit in the notches in the tool as getting it on wrong can cause it to jam on a bit.

Once I’d found the correct position I made a felt pen mark on the tool where the canister clip is to make it easier next time !

Norm

F5806852-7B60-4FEF-ACD7-51F1A43CFCEE.jpeg

342C9B4A-C57E-425B-8764-A1C08FD58A3E.jpeg

I see you've used a Motaquip filter.  That's what I put in mine last week. They're a proven brand that has been around for a long time.

Yes, I’ve used Motoquip filters in quite a few vehicles without any issues ( that I’m aware of anyway ),  as you say if they’ve been around for a long while they must be doing something right !

I use my local E.U. Carparts shop, they’re a friendly helpful bunch and can usually offer different brands, they never try and push me to use any one of them, oh and they have good prices as well !

Norm