Do Not Sell My Personal Information

E5 or E10 Fuel

Roger F

I wondered what fuel everybody is using. I filled up with E5 in error and noticed a good improvement on mpg. So I have carried on using E5, especially reading all the horror stories about the E10 fuel. Only downside is the price made worse by the present fuel situation. 

We use E5 super unleaded.

Our two hybrids are still on E5

Mine is using E5 and will continue to do so long as I can get it.

E10 it’s not anything to worry about especially on cars made after 2010. In my hybrid when running on E5 the switch between electric and petrol is smother, the acceleration is faster, and the engine is quieter and all that very noticeable to me., mpg is very similar even sometimes I can get better one on E10.  Now second week in a row I am filling up at local BP with E10 95 because my local Tesco garage is closed and I can say that the car feels very close to the E10 99 but not exactly as smooth and as nice. Once Tesco is back in business I am returning to E5 for sure. 👍 +1 for E5 99 👌

Just can't afford the stuff. If it's Denmark, Germany or other main land countries, the additional price is something like 11 p. for E5/95 and 15 p. for E5/99.

With fuel prices already beeing insane, it just get to much to pay on a daily basis. 

• Like 1

My current vehicle I'm still using E5 super unleaded when it's available on the forecourt & that's what I'll also fuel my C-HR with when it arrives.

Whenever I'm forced to use E10 my current car just drinks it & the average mpg drops very noticeably.

My partner notices the same with her car, E10 fuel consumption is awful.

To be honest, I think the huge improvement or drop in mpg are a sort of placebe effect.

We want our car to be the very best, and putting in more expensive fuel, it better just work!!

The image shows energy content in various type of fuels. First colum is MJ pr. kg, and the second colum is MJ pr. litre.

Notice the difference between raw gasoline and E10. E5 must be right in the middle, with a estimated value of 33,7 MJ/litre, a 0,5 MJ drop compared to pure gasoline.

billede_2022-03-23_065547.png

• Like 1

E10 with this product for last 2-3 months and haven’t noticed any difference in range 

EE1ECE21-6464-4F17-90D7-4B9A27A1D0B3.jpeg

Surely cheaper and easier just using the E5 fuel ?

Iain

11 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Mine is using E5 and will continue to do so long as I can get it.

Absolutely my sentiments.

At the moment with the supposably world food shortage, I wonder how long it will be before the choice of using corn and other edibles for either food or fuel production

No doubt the green agenda will have something to say, probably to ban all cars😉

Hi Iain , yes agree upto say mid December was against e10 then prices started to increase and roughy same time I noticed this fuel treatment I researched it and gave a few bottles ago and like a say I’ve not noticed any difference in max range per tank . I get around 6 tanks out of a bottle at £7 per bottle so I’m thinking it’s cheaper 

• Like 1

I used E10 for a while when it first hit the forecourts which was in the Honda CRV I had at the time.  I have now changed to a Toyota Aygo but I am still using E5 and will continue to do so.   If I wanted to use the cheapest fuel I would use the supermarkets but I stick to the major brand garages, then again, being an Aygo the additional cost on each fill up is marginal.

I know the government want us to use E10 but then, not so long ago they wanted us to use diesel and look how that ended up.  

• Like 3

E5 is better fuel for the engine👌. No additives can make E10 as good as E5, however can improve a bit and most importantly make it safer for cars that use of E10 is questionable. A good quality E10 with additive can come close to E5 99 as consumption figures and performance but not exactly the same and I will prefer to use E5 99 over E10 95 where possible and price is similar.  In the UK at some garages like Tesco , Costco, E5 is the same or similar price to E10 from other places like Shell or BP. What have happened to diesel cars will most likely happen to electric cars since been pushed a lot by the governments., the time will show us. 👍

• Like 5

My last car was a Volvo XC60 2litre diesel.

This model had EGR problems, but I always used Shell V power diesel and never had any issues.

Also car run very well with excellent fuel consumption, easily 50mpg.

So I didn't really mind paying the extra for V power.

Iain

• Like 1

wrong fuel or not wrong fuel,no fuel like an old fuel.

just back from Tesco filled up,[£1'43 ltr.last fill.]made a cobblers of positioning[wrong side] not a prob. glance ay pump E10 for most cars,Too far from dials to see,press for reciept [unusualy] Glance at bill,no points added,so get that done in store.    Home ,look again,eyes on stalks,oh no ,tank full of Diesal, Panic need car for hospital trip.  Closer inspection of bill ,not my card No.  Damn machine issued wron bill.[I hope]

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Ahahah I was gonna say how the heck did you manage that as the diesel nozzle won't fit in a petrol filler! (Sadly the opposite is possible! Luckily diesel engines can handle a bit of petrol contamination, although not a whole tank!)

Lucky it was just the wrong receipt! :laugh: 

• Like 2

I also used Shell V power petrol in my MX5, again since new.

The twin exhausts were always nice and clean with no evidence of sooting, etc. Also helped by opening her up now and then to stretch her legs.

I do have a habit of looking at people's exhausts even now 😃

Iain

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

I also used Shell V power petrol in my MX5, again since new.

The twin exhausts were always nice and clean with no evidence of sooting, etc. Also helped by opening her up now and then to stretch her legs.

I do have a habit of looking at people's exhausts even now 😃

Iain

Haha, same . Watching others cars 🙂👍 Since last September until like 3 weeks ago I was using only 5E 99 and when I did my service the spark plugs were in cleanest ever condition with perfect colours in comparison with previous years were E5 95 was only used. But since the E10 burns cleaner I am not sure if this will help car components, environment or nothing, just a bs., but with E5 99 the engine sounds and runs nicer. 👌

• Like 2

No doubt at all 99 is smoother ,quieter.

ps. if anyone wondered,driving away on wrong fuel,it's only a few hundred yards and tank has a quarter start. Hence the panic.

• Like 2

Theoretically E10 will burn a bit cleaner (That extra oxygen should cut down on soot, esp. on stratified/rich injection engines), and also keep the fuel lines cleaner as the alcohol is a solvent.

That's assuming it doesn't absorb enough water to rust out the fuel lines :laugh: 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 10:45 AM, TonyHSD said:

E5 is better fuel for the engine👌. No additives can make E10 as good as E5, however can improve a bit and most importantly make it safer for cars that use of E10 is questionable. A good quality E10 with additive can come close to E5 99 as consumption figures and performance but not exactly the same and I will prefer to use E5 99 over E10 95 where possible and price is similar.  In the UK at some garages like Tesco , Costco, E5 is the same or similar price to E10 from other places like Shell or BP. What have happened to diesel cars will most likely happen to electric cars since been pushed a lot by the governments., the time will show us. 👍

Filled E5 at Tesco for the first time (was 7p more expensive than E10 per litre) , the car feels smooth and quiet. The tank currently has quarter E10 and 3 quarters of E5, about 6.25% E. Going to observe mpg and engine feel with a couple of fill ups. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spo2 said:

Filled E5 at Tesco for the first time (was 7p more expensive than E10 per litre) , the car feels smooth and quiet. The tank currently has quarter E10 and 3 quarters of E5, about 6.25% E. Going to observe mpg and engine feel with a couple of fill ups. 

As an occasional user of Momentum 99 I would be interested in your long term findings.

The Lucas additive treats approx. 300 litres so the cost is way below the difference between E5  and E10.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 6:23 PM, Cyker said:

Luckily diesel engines can handle a bit of petrol contamination, although not a whole tank!

Oh they can 🥴

I absent mindly put in a Lot of petrol into my diesel Merc.  Ran a bit rough on the 15 mile journey home, just a bit worrying. 

That evening it was difficult starting but I got it out of the garage and was manoeuvring it on the drive when I had a flashback. 

Green Flag were brilliant.  They even have a miss fuelling waggon.  He tried to defuel through the filler but had to remove the rear seat, open up both fuel tanks and drain them. He then supplied a gallon of diesel so I was not stuck.