Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling under car

venomx

48 minutes ago, venomx said:

Back to the mechanic next week.

@alan333

I believe it is the slider pins too. Quick question, why does applying the brake lightly get rid of the rattle completely ? Is it because when the pad touches the disc it stops any movement ?

It’s because when you apply the brakes the calliper pins gets loaded and stop them from moving up or down , only side to side for what they had been designed for. Clean lube should fix them. 👍

Check the slider pins for uneven wear and if necessary rub them with some emery cloth. When reassembling, use some red rubber grease (designed to use in applications where rubber boots etc may swell) as opposed to any other 'standard' lithium grease

• Like 1

Mechanic had a look, nothing loose or wrong. However, they have stripped, cleaned and lubricated the brakes. Noise is now gone :thumbup:

The brakes also feel considerably shaper too.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, venomx said:

Mechanic had a look, nothing loose or wrong. However, they have stripped, cleaned and lubricated the brakes. Noise is now gone :thumbup:

The brakes also feel considerably shaper too.

Result 🙂. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to have slowly returned albeit much less than before. Tends to do it on fast bumpy roads. Mechanic had a look 3 weeks back and assured me that nothing is loose and they couldn't hear the sound ( they did a quick test drive)

He said all they can do is strip and clean the brakes which seemed to make the noise go.

Don't think it's much to worry about as they'd have told me if anything needed doing ?

9 hours ago, venomx said:

Seems to have slowly returned albeit much less than before. Tends to do it on fast bumpy roads. Mechanic had a look 3 weeks back and assured me that nothing is loose and they couldn't hear the sound ( they did a quick test drive)

He said all they can do is strip and clean the brakes which seemed to make the noise go.

Don't think it's much to worry about as they'd have told me if anything needed doing ?

That was pretty much my experience too.  The car in which I replaced the slider pins stayed quiet but in the one I lubed the noise came back.

I wouldn’t have said mine were dangerous in any way, the old pins weren’t worn thin and ready to fail or anything (in fact to the naked eye they looked identical), but that rattle didn’t half annoy me.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, alan333 said:

That was pretty much my experience too.  The car in which I replaced the slider pins stayed quiet but in the one I lubed the noise came back.

I wouldn’t have said mine were dangerous in any way, the old pins weren’t worn thin and ready to fail or anything (in fact to the naked eye they looked identical), but that rattle didn’t half annoy me.

Fair enough. I'll leave it for now, if it does get worse I'll get the slider pins replaced

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took it down to the mechanic. He said from when he worked on the car last, my car doesn't even have slider pins. It has some allen key bolts ?

54 minutes ago, venomx said:

Took it down to the mechanic. He said from when he worked on the car last, my car doesn't even have slider pins. It has some allen key bolts ?

Use a different "mechanic"! That's the design of some ATE (Teves) callipers. Like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332616556327?hash=item4d717ddf27:g:YbQAAOSwRHleb6UM&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4Gq7hAaJfur%2F1i55IO1fcIqDPrgtHkpZlR2meYRDYyq959a7Ihq485b1TKKBXBCXjmjOxFFRBqP79%2FmtFmC41YecN%2FjEdx%2FUjYQAbc%2Fm3GTh4CymnOLintcr1ndtAR614mdNcfcXH4fEDj8JoTV71vfubUmzaigswtwdPPY%2Fqv6IC%2BduLqr7X2zOlmjLVjriQ2hIUB8Se5G%2BBaIiromhbFKh20sBEon8Ki9TtC2TNhP17S5Stj8sF89ZP9kCZjkYtfq%2FgNmxUTkMksShWuTLP4SDp0zbkM5DcnYuHDWmvQVR|tkp%3ABFBMuKmKwJlg

The end opposite the threaded will be for a hex. key (Allen), usually 7mm. My front brakes are ATE and use those pins.

53 minutes ago, venomx said:

They serve the same purpose. Service manual should be look at because these on some cars are dry fit and applying any grease will cause pads to stick to the discs, but if grease needs to be added then it should be. Also they have to be ideally clean and shiny before installation. 👍

• Thanks 1

Just now, TonyHSD said:

No, they are similar to what Peter shared. Here you can look at them and perhaps silicone grease should be applied but I am not 100% sure about that, I never worked on a car like yours. 👍

Fair enough. If it gets bad then I'll take it to another mechanic as I don't have the equipment at home. Thanks

Edit: I know what you mean now, like this.. 

ddd.jpg

ddodod.jpg

dd.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:35 AM, mrpj1 said:

Use a different "mechanic"! That's the design of some ATE (Teves) callipers.

In future I will do. Don't appreciate being fobbed off like that when I've spent plenty at that mechanic. I did politely ask if they could replace the sliders and was told my car doesn't have sliders and that the rattle is a dashboard one when it's definitely from the brakes. Very odd.

these can be polished using a green kitchen scourer if there are any uneven areas.  Then use the right grease - i use Red Rubber Grease, which as its name suggests, is red! A small tin lasts ages, you only really need a small amount

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, corradovr6 said:

these can be polished using a green kitchen scourer if there are any uneven areas.  Then use the right grease - i use Red Rubber Grease, which as its name suggests, is red! A small tin lasts ages, you only really need a small amount

Silly question. How come lubricating helps a lot ? When it was lubricated just over a month ago, the noise pretty much disappeared.

6 hours ago, venomx said:

Silly question. How come lubricating helps a lot ? When it was lubricated just over a month ago, the noise pretty much disappeared.

Not a silly question at all. Sometimes the wrong grease is used (eg copper grease) which dries out leaving a non-lubricated surface. Brakes experience some very high temperatures and not all lubes are designed to operate under these conditions. 

Some high pressure cleaners can just blast away any lube. But it can also be if the pads don't float properly or if surfaces are not properly cleaned and smoothed prior to install.

Regreasing brakes should really be a part of an annual service, imho

• Like 3

7 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

Not a silly question at all. Sometimes the wrong grease is used (eg copper grease) which dries out leaving a non-lubricated surface. Brakes experience some very high temperatures and not all lubes are designed to operate under these conditions. 

Some high pressure cleaners can just blast away any lube. But it can also be if the pads don't float properly or if surfaces are not properly cleaned and smoothed prior to install.

Regreasing brakes should really be a part of an annual service, imho

OK Thanks. What I meant was, if the pins are rattling around, why would lubricating them stop it from rattling ?

I'd assume using " brake cleaner " spray is a bad idea as it dries out lubricant from what I've heard.

So basically one or two of my pins have some movement in them ? I only hear the noise on fast bumpy roads, and very rarely any other time.

As said if it gets annoying I'll save up some money take it to a different mechanic and get them replaced. Should only be a cheap job.

Does the Yaris MK2 have the rubber bushings/boots too, or not ? As I've looked on some car part places and most have just the slider pins/bolts but no bushing

1 hour ago, venomx said:

Does the Yaris MK2 have the rubber bushings/boots too, or not ? As I've looked on some car part places and most have just the slider pins/bolts but no bushing

Hi, 

you can look up this website and see what is available for your car 👍

https://brakeparts.co.uk

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the sliders and calipers done a couple of weeks ago. No more noise, and the brakes feel much better. 😀

• Like 4

Just a quick question for those of you more experienced than me.

The Yaris MK2 seems to have a different style of slider pin, rather than a bolt style  they are Allen key and have threads on the end rather than it just being smooth. Are many other cars like this ?

Also. On the MK2 yaris, the sliders seem to screw into the caliper itself and not the mounting bracket, or am I wrong here ?

Thanks !

Edit, I've attached a picture of what my caliper looks like...

You see the two black boots on either side  is that where the sliders go ?

tumbnail_32a07d09-812e-459a-9066-4fc92d42cf15_jpg.webp

17 hours ago, venomx said:

You see the two black boots on either side  is that where the sliders go ?

That's them, just like mine. Lots of other cars have the same arrangement - ATE callipers. Usually a 7mm hex. key. Some use Torx heads.

Are you getting confused with the mounting bracket bolts?