Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Detachable Towbar problem using

Rickie

Just got a detachable Towbar fitted today on my new RAV4. The rear bumper seems to be blocking it from connecting to the base. My dealer told me to cut the bumper?????? This can’t be correct surely??☹️☹️

Who fitted it and what type Horizontal or Vertical detachable?

Is it a Toyota tow bar or third party? Who fitted it?

Horizontal, fitted by Main Dealer so I assume Toyota make. 

Had lots of cars where the bumper needs a cut out for the tow bar. Get over it, it’s not the end of the world! 

2 hours ago, Riqe said:

The should have cut out a pece of the bummper when the fitted the towingbar.

See page 23-24 in the fitting instructions.

310B_Towing_Hitch_HorDet_PW960_42000_AIM_004_282_5.pdf (toyota-tech.eu)

Go back to the dealer and let em "fixt it right".

If they were paid to fit the tow bar and the instructions say to cut the bumper it seems fair that they should do just that.

I have a new RAV4 with Toyota towbar installed before delivery. I will take a picture later today, but the bumper is cut around it. Towbar is made by brink and it has the maximum vertical load of 80kg

If this Rav is a personal buy and they had to cut the bumper no real problem, it happens.

However, if its a leased car etc then it was your responsibility to find out what fitting a bumper implies, there could be a penalty when you return the car if you didn't have authority to make a mod.

My RAV4 is leased and the towbar was part of the deal and installed during PDI. Here how it looks for vertical removable towbar
IMG_1119.thumb.jpg.e2790229d4b322ebace84a2bc7e16e54.jpg

Just looked and Installation manual clearly states that bumpers needs cutting

52 minutes ago, Rav4ster said:

I have a new RAV4 with Toyota towbar installed before delivery. I will take a picture later today, but the bumper is cut around it. Towbar is made by brink and it has the maximum vertical load of 80kg

HEALTH WARNING!!!!!!! The car has a maximum nose weight limit of 70kg. THAT is the important figure. The towbar vertical load is irrelevant. 

Agree. As it was explained to me by the towbar company, vertical load is the tested load for the towbar itself, and it is 80kg. Nose weight limit of 70kg, is the safe load weight on the towbar that does not affect handling / steering of the car. For example, you can load the towbar with 80kg and it will not break, but it will negatively affect handling, so if you have to do it, you need to drive accordingly.

87B2EDBC-5961-4C82-BFEE-4CA22A0F8A9D.thumb.jpeg.78a58674cac1e22ffed6c8cda4de3393.jpeg

Here’s a view from the floor of my factory fitted removable vertical Toyota (Brink) towball showing the bumper cut out. The cut out is not visible unless you lie down.

FA5CBE56-02F2-4234-8A40-5C6CFD08F337.thumb.jpeg.2012395bf0d54ab8886283c19f016455.jpeg

On 3/25/2022 at 11:03 AM, Rav4ster said:

Agree. As it was explained to me by the towbar company, vertical load is the tested load for the towbar itself, and it is 80kg. Nose weight limit of 70kg, is the safe load weight on the towbar that does not affect handling / steering of the car. For example, you can load the towbar with 80kg and it will not break, but it will negatively affect handling, so if you have to do it, you need to drive accordingly.

No it won’t affect handling if you go a bit over but it will affect the rear structural integrity in extremis. The nose weight is part of the payload of the towcar so needs taking into account if you are loading the car with passengers and luggage. Toyota have published some utter cr8p about nose weights showing their total misunderstanding of towing.