Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre pressures and TPWS

ICF

Took delivery of my new Yaris Excel begining of March and I'm loving it. Just thought I'd check the tyre pressures what I shock when they all showed above 42 psi. Some pdi if the can't get that right 🙄

I have now deflated to the correct pressure as shown on drivers side door frame. I have gone into the menu and registered the new pressures but the tyre inflation light is still iluminated.

Will this light go out and the new pressures be shown after I drive the car for a while?

I have a RAV4, but I would imagine the TPWS is similar ?

I set the tyres pressures correctly, around 34psi on the Rav.

I then navigate to the TPWS set pressure icon and hold the ok button until the tyre pressure warning light starts to flash.

It flashes for a second or so then goes out, that's the new pressures registered.

It doesn't stay on, and should only come on if there has been a change in tyre pressures.

Iain

To acquire the new settings it takes some miles and about 20-30 minutes of continuous driving.

42 PSI is a very high pressure.  Tyres are usually set to an high pressure during transport an storage before delivery but should be set to a correct pressure by dealer before deliver the car to final customer.

When i got my one ( Yaris Mk4 with 16 inch wheels ) pressure was around 38 psi.  I set to about 33 PSI but on the last yearly check Toyota dealer set back to around 39 PSI. 

With this pressure the car seem more silent and stable.

Note:  sorry for the abouts but I'm using bar to mesaure tyre pressure.  

I'm taking the car out for a drive now so I will see if the light goes out.

1 hour ago, ICF said:

I'm taking the car out for a drive now so I will see if the light goes out.

And if not, take it back to the dealer to sort out. I would be complaining to them about the 42psi pressure(s)anyway!

Well done for manually checking too, and not relying on the monitoring system alone.

All sorted tyre pressures shown in display and warning lights gone out. All this happened after I had been driving for approx 20 mins.

• Like 2

I just checked mine, looks like I've be driving for the last month or so since picking it up with mine at 42psi too. The display was in bar which meant nothing to me, changed that to psi now and accepted new TPWS settings. Hopefully all will be good when I next drive it.

Surley tyre pressure is basic pdi stuff?

Does anybody know what the pdi entails?

3 hours ago, ICF said:

All sorted tyre pressures shown in display and warning lights gone out. All this happened after I had been driving for approx 20 mins.

This is different to my RAV4 system which does not show the pressures on the screen.

Yours must be a bit more sophisticated 👍

2 minutes ago, ICF said:

Surley tyre pressure is basic pdi stuff?

Does anybody know what the pdi entails?

The PDI nowadays is very little for the dealer to do compared to what it used to be.

Unfortunately basic things like tyre pressures should be checked.

Again unfortunately mechanics are not what they used to be either, and things get missed or done incorrectly.

Always better checking everything yourself, after a service as well.👍

Iain

Another thing to consider when the weather gets colder later in the year, is to set the pressures a couple of pounds below the recommended pressures (eg 31psi instead of 33psi), register the pressures on TPWS/MS and get the system to recognise them.

Once this is done inflate the tyres to the recommended pressures.

This should prevent the TPWS/MS flagging up low pressures when the tyres are cold before they warm up, and won't have an effect on the ability of the system to flag potential pressure problems due to a puncture, etc.

• Like 2

If it makes you feel any better, mine was given to me with the 17" rims at over 60 PSI and the part stickers still splattered all over the place :laugh: 

27 minutes ago, Cyker said:

If it makes you feel any better, mine was given to me with the 17" rims at over 60 PSI and the part stickers still splattered all over the place :laugh: 

I had a few stickers left too, on the interior light and rear middle seatbelt (so far).

• Like 1

Okay I feel better its not just mine! :laugh: 

They didn't even remove the blue film that covers the door scuff trims! (I just thought they were supposed to be blue for the first 3 weeks!!)

• Haha 2

Yea just removed the white sticker from the interior light😁

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

They didn't even remove the blue film that covers the door scuff trims! (I just thought they were supposed to be blue for the first 3 weeks!!)

Had the latter too but not bothered as additional scuff protection was fine be me. 

My first 'luxury' car, carpeted and carpeted door trim had the doors protected with plastic.  Never removed that either. 

• Like 1

Yeh, I left it on for the same reason. It actually looks better in that sort of electric blue than the silver too IMHO!

On 3/25/2022 at 11:09 PM, ICF said:

Yea just removed the white sticker from the interior light😁

I really must get around to doing that too one of these days! 🤣

• Haha 1

I have to really commend my Toyota dealership, the car was perfect and PDI was immaculate, was and waxed and polished to perfection, and even the tyre pressures were accurate, but on reading this topic I went out and there it was, that wee quarter inch square white sticker on the interior light, how could they have missed something so obvious 😂🤣😝🚗.

• Haha 3

That's disgusting. Your dealer should be named and shamed for leaving that sticker in place. 😁😄

• Haha 2

On 3/25/2022 at 9:03 PM, Cyker said:

I’ve just looked on mine, still there - I actually like the blue. Might leave it on

• Like 2

Yeah I think it looks better on mine too - Is definitely a better contrast with the decuma grey than the underlying silver would be!

17 minutes ago, Big_D said:

That's disgusting. Your dealer should be named and shamed for leaving that sticker in place. 😁😄

Yes the I’m calling in on Saturday morning and I’m gonna give them a damn good rollicking 😡😡😡.

• Haha 4

Just looked at my interior light, also has a white sticker on it.

Too much of a coincidence that numerous dealers leave this sticker on and the door scuff trims….

• Haha 2

That's it. If the dealers can't get it right I'm going to have to get rid of my Toyota and buy something else 😁