Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV - "discovered" paddle shifters and having fun with them ​🤯​

kucyk

After 1500km I figured out that when driving in EV mode, paddle shifters are used to increase/decrease regenerative breaking, so started using them instead of brake pedal when approaching roundabouts etc. I thought paddle shifters are totally useless with e-CVT, so I wasn't even touching them 😅

• Like 3

your joking i did not know this i'll try it this afternoon thanks for sharing

• Haha 1

I don't think we get paddle shifters on UK-spec RAVs, phev or hev, so can't have fun with this, sadly

• Sad 1

They operate a set of six pre-determined or pre-set fixed ratios in the cvt system. Same as selecting ‘S’ on the transmission tunnel with the gear lever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

They operate a set of six pre-determined or pre-set fixed ratios in the cvt system. Same as selecting ‘S’ on the transmission tunnel with the gear lever. 

Yeah it's almost the same, the difference is with paddle shifters when you stay on D it goes back to default when you accelerate, where on S it stays at the level you selected. I think it's 5, not 6 btw. When I downshift, it's always 4,3,2,1 where the default is 5. Haven't tried at higher speeds though, so maybe it's 6 😁

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the comment, @kucyk

Please, what model exactly do you own?

Regards.

It's all computer simulated, I also read somewhere that it does not do the e-cvt system any good ?

The system protects the car from inappropriate use by the driver. As has been said it;s not a real ‘gear ratio’ but a simulation.

• Like 1

My experience in EV mode is that S-6 is the lowest possible regen rate, which means I can coast longer (which, with the necessary anticipation) is the most efficient way to use an EV (coasting on the available kinetic energy will always be more efficient than converting it to electrical/chemical and then back to kinetic energy). However, in HV mode, I notice the petrol engine runs a lot longer when using S-6 (sometimes even when stationary), I assume this is because of the lack of regen, so it has to use the petrol engine to get energy back into the Battery. I've not done any extensive testing of this mode because it just feels wrong (especially a running petrol engine in a stationary car with a big Battery slung under it!), but I suspect in HV mode, S-6 is not the most efficient.

Once you’ve hit below the 30% remaking energy in the traction Battery the ICE does run to get it back up. I think it try’s to ensure that the Battery is never fully depleted and charges to ensure it’s into the above 20%. I’ve also found that if you use the charge the Battery mode it is happier keeping it around the 80% mark.

The sweet spot between 20 - 80% of this type of battery.

53 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Once you’ve hit below the 30% remaking energy in the traction battery the ICE does run to get it back up. I think it try’s to ensure that the battery is never fully depleted and charges to ensure it’s into the above 20%. I’ve also found that if you use the charge the battery mode it is happier keeping it around the 80% mark.

The sweet spot between 20 - 80% of this type of battery.

I'm pretty sure I've had the engine running whilst stationary with >30% charge (eg. +ive mileage still showing in the EV range) (in S6 mode). Generally in HV mode, I think the car will try and keep the Battery charge around the same rate it was when HV mode was activated, when it reaches a certain deficit it forces the Battery to charge again to get back close to the original charge.

Once the ICE has started, for whatever reason, it goes through a cycle to move the fuel/oil through the system and until it’s warm. So even if it’s not driving the wheels it charges the traction Battery.

I some times find it frustrating especially if the traction Battery is full and I’ve come down a steep hill the ICE will kick in effectively to brake the car.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ernieb said:

Once the ICE has started, for whatever reason, it goes through a cycle to move the fuel/oil through the system and until it’s warm. So even if it’s not driving the wheels it charges the traction battery.

I some times find it frustrating especially if the traction battery is full and I’ve come down a steep hill the ICE will kick in effectively to brake the car.

In S6 mode, the engine will often run when stationary, even when warm (in situations where I'd never see it run normally) - as I said, I assume because it has to put some charge back into the Battery since the low level of regen isn't putting enough back in.

2 hours ago, spicyhotone said:

In S6 mode, the engine will often run when stationary, even when warm (in situations where I'd never see it run normally) - as I said, I assume because it has to put some charge back into the battery since the low level of regen isn't putting enough back in.

I think that is a good assumption, in HV mode it will kick in and depend very much on the speed you’ve been previously travelling and how hard you braked before coming to a halt.

Why do you keep the car in S6? The car will obviously have to use the range of ‘gear’ options to accelerate and then to come to a stop. It seems to me that it’s no different to just using the Drive mode or am I missing something?

27 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I think that is a good assumption, in HV mode it will kick in and depend very much on the speed you’ve been previously travelling and how hard you braked before coming to a halt.

Why do you keep the car in S6? The car will obviously have to use the range of ‘gear’ options to accelerate and then to come to a stop. It seems to me that it’s no different to just using the Drive mode or am I missing something?

I found in EV mode I can increase range in S6 mode, by coasting further, with less regen. I'd left it in S6 after transitioning to HV mode, and noticed this unexpected behaviour, so now no longer use S6 in HV mode, as I suspect it will give worse efficiency (although I've not really measured, so may not be the case!) 

On 6/21/2022 at 11:10 AM, spicyhotone said:

coasting further, with less regen

Some may find it tedious, but you can achieve this in regular driving by feathering the throttle to keep the left hand power dial on the point between CHG and ECO, without having to leave in a setting (ie s6) all the time. 

Mike, that’s what I try to do consistent with the traffic flow. Similarly if you can lift and coast at red traffic lights or junctions you can effectively gain energy. I try to anticipate the traffic as much as possible without becoming a pain to other drivers. I’m constantly amazed at how often people will accelerate to a set of red lights/ junctions and then brake hard to a stop.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links