Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bank 1 Sensor 1 P2196

FuzzFaceFreddy4

Had this a few weeks back,  and changed the MAF sensor, spark plugs, air filter, cleaned throttle/air intake 

Thought it was pulling better but same engine light came on, and same reading on OBD plug in

02 sensor Biased/stuck rich bank 1 sensor 1

Not sure where to go from here now... any ideas much appreciated

(1.3 petrol 2009 5 door Yaris p9

As per your first thread, if you don't sort it soon you may kill the catalytic convertor

On 3/26/2022 at 2:08 PM, FuzzFaceFreddy4 said:

Had this a few weeks back,  and changed the MAF sensor, spark plugs, air filter, cleaned throttle/air intake 

Thought it was pulling better but same engine light came on, and same reading on OBD plug in

02 sensor Biased/stuck rich bank 1 sensor 1

Not sure where to go from here now... any ideas much appreciated

(1.3 petrol 2009 5 door Yaris p9

Hi, not too sure how many 02 sensors are on the Toyota Yaris 1.3, but some vehicles can have multiple 02 sensors. In general they are found screwed into the exhaust pipe system before and after were the catalytic converter. Bank 1 means the the sensor you probably need to change is on spark plug cylinder 1 or bank 1 drivers side. If your vehicle has 2 sensors and bank 2 was at fault that would be located under the car again on the exhaust pipe after the catalytic converter. Apparently 02 sensors are a common fault on all petrol engines. Hope this helps!

Best of luck

Andy.

• Like 1

Just 2 sensors, Bank No. is in reference to the number of cylinder heads, Toyota stopped using the dual cat and sensor set up a long time ago (circa 2005) and it was mainly on the larger petrol engines

19 hours ago, Xpcoindetective said:

Hi, not too sure how many 02 sensors are on the Toyota Yaris 1.3, but some vehicles can have multiple 02 sensors. In general they are found screwed into the exhaust pipe system before and after were the catalytic converter. Bank 1 means the the sensor you probably need to change is on spark plug cylinder 1 or bank 1 drivers side. If your vehicle has 2 sensors and bank 2 was at fault that would be located under the car again on the exhaust pipe after the catalytic converter. Apparently 02 sensors are a common fault on all petrol engines. Hope this helps!

Best of luck

Andy.

Thank for answer. Is there a way of testing the sensor before buying new one?

Check the resistance of the heater and the resistance of the sensor

Click to enlarge

859210228_1kro2.thumb.jpg.2f129dec3d31d5628ff14237dadba263.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

Check the resistance of the heater and the resistance of the sensor

Click to enlarge

859210228_1kro2.thumb.jpg.2f129dec3d31d5628ff14237dadba263.jpg

Thanks for that

Is this a 'home' DIY job to fit a new one? I just had a look at Youtube and people talk about re-threading before fitting new one. Is that the case? Because if so, then I'll take it into a garage.

You shouldn't need too, but the job is much easier with the correct o2 socket

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

You shouldn't need too, but the job is much easier with the correct o2 socket

Many thanks Bob.

I find these when searching, but at that price (and I will only use them one, hopefully) ,I doubt  it's  going to be financially worthwhile doing it myself?

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/masterpro-7pcs-oxygen-sensor-socket-set-538771571

A bit steep that, I bought a good set off eBay for about £15 with the retread tool, you thinking of giving up driving if you think you will only use it once.

18 hours ago, wildtapholer said:

A bit steep that, I bought a good set off Ebay for about £15 with the retread tool, you thinking of giving up driving if you think you will only use it once.

Well, let's put it this way - I very much doubt I'd still have this car at the point the front O2 sensor needs changing again, and even if I did, I am the kind of person who wouldn't be able to lay my hand on the tool, spend half a day emptying the shed to find it and still not find it