Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indicator Stalk Working Intermittently

jonnoYaris

Looks like we have a problem with our indicator stalk. It mainly doesn't work, but you can get it working by applying a little more pressure once you've pushed the stalk into the up or down position. Hazards lights look fine.

Little bit of research shows this is a common problem would require removal of the steering wheel. This is a Yaris 2011, registration YC11 NLU.

So the question is, where can I buy one from!? I can't seem to find any online and I don't really want a second hand one in case it happens again. Also, has anyone ever attempted to fix the stalk rather than replace?

Thanks

Be careful, I had an indicator stalk that wasn't working properly. It was arcing across contacts and caused me to vacate the car, rapidly, on the M6 when smoke started appearing!

• Haha 1

Worn stalk, I think that you don’t have much option other than having it replaced and you are right not with a second hand one. Have you checked with your nearest Toyota dealership??.

Managed to spray some contact cleaner into the indicator stalk this morning by pressing down on it and feeding the nozzle in. It's worked! I'll let you know if this is a long term fix but so far works perfectly. A nice saving of £165 from Toyota plus fitting.

• Like 1

Sometimes, the applied grease in manufacture hardens/creates a layer on contacts and results in open circuits. I spray most of my switches on my motorbike on a regular basis - obviously due to exposure to weather.

• Like 1