Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boris Johnson EV announcement

ParisYaris

Hi, I am new to this forum.  Was about to leave a deposit for a new Yaris only to hear that Boris Johnson is accelerating his plans for EV vehicles charge point and infrasture and for hybrid to come to an end 2030.  The reason that prompted me to want to buy a Yaris is because its high MPG and my thought process is that the money I spend on petrol/month on my old car, I can put towards payment for the new Yaris.

The point is I am worry the drop in value of my new Yaris in a few years down the line when hybrid is no longer valued over EV cars.  Is it worth holding out for the EV and put up with paying high value at the pump.

TBH, I think its value, and the value of all second-hand ICE vehicles, will go UP when the ban comes into force, at least initially.

This does depend on a lot of things tho' - There may be a breakthrough in Battery tech that solves the biggest problems with current EV's (Size, mass, range), but since such breakthroughs often take a decade or two to get to market I feel ICE vehicles will be in demand for a while...

My concern is more to do with legislation - The government has shown again and again they aren't afraid of screwing over drivers for money under the pretext of 'the environment'. The diesel U-turn and things like the ULEZ are perfect examples. There's no telling what sort of dick move they'll try to pull on us when the time comes.

The Yaris Mk4 is a good long-term shout as I don't think any EV will be able to compete with it for the forseeable future - Right now it's physically impossible for an EV to match, nevermind exceed, the Mk4's combination of purchase price, performance,  range, running costs, size and weight - There is a reason why the vast majority of new EVs are big heavy expensive SUVs.

• Like 5

Haven't seen anything in the recent announcement on the EV charging network, that changes the Government's plans for petrol, diesel and hybrid cars.

Currently sales of new petrol and diesel cars will cease in 2030, and hybrids in 2035.

Obviously when sales of these new cars cease in 2030 and 2035, there will still be many thousands of petrol, diesel and hybrid cars on the road, and these cars will still have value. Nobody can predict how the cessation of new petrol, diesel and hybrid cars will affect values of used cars

Only you can decide which way to go. 

• Like 2

Is that all hybrids or just PHEVs that stay until 2035? I was under the impression that only PHEVs were still allowed up to 2035, and regular hybrids like the Mk4 would be part of the 2030 cull.

From what I can gather of the internet, it seems that 'full hybrid' which the Yaris kk4 definitly is might be able to avoid the ban.  Also, the article mentioned that :

'Toyota, which produces the hybrid Corolla hatchback in Derbyshire has previously said it would reconsider future investments in its UK plant in Buranston if sales of new HEVs were to be outlawed.'

I understand where Toyota stands as it makes the best hybrid vehicles no doubt about it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ParisYaris said:

Hi, I am new to this forum.  Was about to leave a deposit for a new Yaris only to hear that Boris Johnson is accelerating his plans for EV vehicles charge point and infrasture and for hybrid to come to an end 2030.  The reason that prompted me to want to buy a Yaris is because its high MPG and my thought process is that the money I spend on petrol/month on my old car, I can put towards payment for the new Yaris.

The point is I am worry the drop in value of my new Yaris in a few years down the line when hybrid is no longer valued over EV cars.  Is it worth holding out for the EV and put up with paying high value at the pump.

The biggest risk is buying an EV at this stage unless you want to get rid of them soon or are company driver. With so much of Battery innovation (range increase)  and new entrants, I believe current BEV will lose value significantly few years down the line- bit like mobile phone ie with new better products, value of older products plummets. Combined with charging infrastructure, the EV does not look too attractive in the near term. Now, I am not early adopter anyway- i just got my first hybrid.

• Like 3

Last I heard was that they will still produce all hybrids until 2035.

there will still be people preferring a ice over a EV let’s be honest you can’t beat the burble of a V8.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Is that all hybrids or just PHEVs that stay until 2035? I was under the impression that only PHEVs were still allowed up to 2035, and regular hybrids like the Mk4 would be part of the 2030 cull.

Here is an article I came across yesterday as I was researching to decide about my purchase.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-8965773/Which-hybrid-cars-banned-2035.html

• Thanks 1

No disrespect to your Prime Minister Boris Johnson, but from my long lifetime experience of politicians of all kinds and nationalities and indeed all governments, what they say needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt. Because they they will change according to their own political needs.

• Like 2

I have my heart set on the Toyota Yaris, especially even now as it is my first ever 'new' car purchased experience.  My partner has the MK2 Auris Hybrid and it is still going strong at 105,000 miles with just the annual service costs.  You really can't beat a Toyota for reliability. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ParisYaris said:

Here is an article I came across yesterday as I was researching to decide about my purchase.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-8965773/Which-hybrid-cars-banned-2035.html

Just read that probably will be based on emissions as to which hybrids will continue till 2035.

• Like 1

Well if you do take the plunge you won't regret it; The Mk4 Yaris is a really really good car.

• Like 1

Paris don't compromise your requirement for something that is 7 years away. 

• Like 3

With the 4 fold rise in electricity costs as of April only the upper working and middle class we be able to afford BEV's, small diesels are all but dead, with diesel in some areas hitting 182 a litre

• Like 3

Just now, Cyker said:

Well if you do take the plunge you won't regret it; The Mk4 Yaris is a really really good car.

I second Cyker’s opinion 👏👏. I’ve often said on this forum, the Mark4 Yaris Hybrid is a little genius of a car 🚗 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

I second Cyker’s opinion 👏👏. I’ve often said on this forum, the Mark4 Yaris Hybrid is a little genius of a car 🚗 

Yes, you are right, the Yaris really is a good car.  I test drove a demonstrator recently that was also used by members of the car dealers.  I noticed on the dashboard average 67MPG.  Impressive, considering it was a demo car.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ParisYaris said:

Yes, you are right, the Yaris really is a good car.  I test drove a demonstrator recently that was also used by members of the car dealers.  I noticed on the dashboard average 67MPG.  Impressive, considering it was a demo car.

Yes it’s a little difficult to get a truly full assessment of a car on one test drive, I had two test drives before I made my mind up, and took the plunge, mind you my previous two cars were another Mark 4 and before that a Mark 3. My old grandad used to advise me, “Son never buy a pig in a poke”.😂🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My personal opinion is that bev as we know it right now might get banned before the ice/ hybrids for an obvious environmental impact and therefore until petrol is available at the pumps buying a Toyota hybrid over bev might be a better choice for many, unless you live within central London area or in a big city somewhere around the world. We have a recent bev in the family and while is very good car I won’t be swapping my auris mk1 hybrid for an ev of yet, or another hybrid before this one completely gives up. She feels still good at 205k miles and counting 🏎🏁👍 Bev’s has a huge disadvantages over the hybrids and soon after excitement period cools off you will start to understand that. Charging now and then is so often that sometimes you will regret it went for an ev especially if you are a regular driver and cover a good amount of miles per day. Buying a Toyota hybrid today can not be wrong decision.
Good luck ✌️ 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

My personal opinion is that bev as we know it right now might get banned before the ice/ hybrids for an obvious environmental impact and therefore until petrol is available at the pumps buying a Toyota hybrid over bev might be a better choice for many, unless you live within central London area or in a big city somewhere around the world. We have a recent bev in the family and while is very good car I won’t be swapping my auris mk1 hybrid for an ev of yet, or another hybrid before this one completely gives up. She feels still good at 205k miles and counting 🏎🏁👍 Bev’s has a huge disadvantages over the hybrids and soon after excitement period cools off you will start to understand that. Charging now and then is so often that sometimes you will regret it went for an ev especially if you are a regular driver and cover a good amount of miles per day. Buying a Toyota hybrid today can not be wrong decision.
Good luck ✌️ 

Honda and Nissan are introducing self charging hybrids like Toyota, kind of testimony of viability of hybrids in the near future. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ParisYaris said:

The point is I am worry the drop in value of my new Yaris in a few years down the line when hybrid is no longer valued over EV cars.

Depreciation over 8 years is going to be most of the new value whatever you buy.

If you expect to keep the car that long it's really not with worrying about it's end value for you. Heaven knows what might happen by then - look at what COVID did to current used car prices.

EVs are still stupid expensive unless you really do the mileage to see the savings (though with electricity going up even that's an interesting calculation), so just get what does what you need now - like you probably have for years past.

• Like 3

The article is dated Nov 2020, they say a week is a long time in politics so how something written 16 months ago can be trusted when related to government decisions I don't know. 

I'd buy what you want and not worry about something 8 - 13 years away, it'll likely be different then anyway. 

• Like 3

The market for hybrid vehicles will not drop dramatically when 2035 approaches, IMO.  Not everyone will want an BEV by then, or even after. Taking all production costs into account, especially what goes into a large Battery, a quality hybrid will still be seen by many as a better choice which will keep the demand up.                
There are those who will always want to stay true to a “proper” engine, particularly a petrol engine. That will keep the demand is there.            
Of course, there will be those who cannot afford to go BEV, and quality hybrid cars will be on their radar for purchasing used.            
And who can tell whether this planet earth can give enough basic material to mass produce the batteries needed for a BEV in the numbers required. And even if their is the raw material it may be in the “wrong” place. It could be in a country demanding extortionate price for the stuff, or in a war torn country where the capability of sourcing the material is restricted.    
andcwho knows what your personal situation may be in 13 years time may be (I will not add to that)         
It is very easy to over think any situation, and this is a situation it would be very easy to overthink. Just buy what you can afford and need, if it’s a Toyota Yaris gen4 hybrid then just go for it and enjoy it.

• Like 6

A lot of opinions here, but we basically have no idea which way this is all going to go, not really anyway.

I’ve read so many reports and watched lots videos and so on, from BEV with solid state batteries to the idea that we will just rent a car when we need it, this will self drive to your location, complete the journey, then disappear to do another journey for someone else. This idea being the car is fully utilised rather than just sitting in a parking space not being used for 90% of the time.

I own a BEV, but on a PCP, as I absolutely do not want to own it, because as someone has already said they are like mobile phones.
New technologies or advancements coming out almost daily mean they are out of date very quickly. 

I’m happy to buy a Hybrid and sit back and wait and watch where this all leads, what I replace the BEV with in a couple of years is anyone’s guess to be honest!

I know one thing though, the hybrid will stay in my stable long beyond the current BEV…..

• Like 3

bev's will not be mainstream for another 20+ years, early Teslas are now 10 years old, minor issues write these cars off, a pack replacement is over the value of the car at £15K, with no 3rd party suppliers or rebuilders

The used market will be a minefield

• Like 5

Agree, I'm still not convinced, Battery life is the big issue for me, whoopie manufacturers guarantee them for 10 years, we had 2 1980s petrol cars that lasted over 25 years! and roadworthy when sold and our current 107 is 14 years old and still going strong. 

Also if you use main dealer servicing and swap your car every 3-4 years then you are covered, but that's not me, rarely buy brand new cars, so at best get cars just out of manufacturer warranty and if you use independant garages like me when needed then the few I know not geared up to touch BEVs etc. 

• Like 2