Do Not Sell My Personal Information

December 2021, Touring Sports, Tail Gate hinge plate, corrosion, get checking !

Kooikerboy

Wonder if it is the same issue as in the following topic, which turned out not to be corrosion:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Wonder if it is the same issue as in the following topic, which turned out not to be corrosion:

I would think that it’s a similar issue to the one discussed above.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kooikerboy said:

20220321_085815.thumb.jpg.2e8f48a88758d80ab0f5c98af981cad0.jpg

Is that picture from your car? Can you take more pictures from both hinges? I believe that this is indeed rust and it’s an issue, also the other member with Yaris although been told it’s not a rust by the dealer, to me look like rust and it will pop out again. Toyota might have a wide spread issues with corrosion on hinges. I have taken pictures from another car made in 2021 and hinges look also poorly painted but there is visible cushion material between hinge and body panels, where in Toyota it’s very minimal or non. 

5783F636-7E6D-4943-A491-EFE05C927212.jpeg

7801B272-48BD-4A67-B5CA-89F3BB6409C5.jpeg

I noticed some rusty looking stuff around my boot hinges the other day, but it's turned out to be more of that *beeping* sahara dust!

• Haha 1

At the end of the day, you need to take the car into a Toyota dealer for inspection, and correction under the new car warranty.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I noticed some rusty looking stuff around my boot hinges the other day, but it's turned out to be more of that *beeping* sahara dust!

Like these 

32F21E11-7974-47FD-AB41-C97B41AD6C5A.jpeg

43E819F0-43E7-4B70-AE8D-B11EB4A708A2.jpeg

• Like 1

Dealers last week. they took pics, sent to Toyota, back tomorrow more pics and measure paint thickness, perhaps paint not thick enough to cover rust, not pleased, poor poor quality control. reminds me of British Leyland, who checks on the checkers.

TonyHSD . Other hinge has no obvious issue, what you see is rust, it has, and is getting more evident, this vehicle is 3 months old.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kooikerboy said:

TonyHSD . Other hinge has no obvious issue, what you see is rust, it has, and is getting more evident, this vehicle is 3 months old.

Toyota will investigate and determine what it is.

I see the car is white but is it a pearlescent colour?. I understand this is a multi layer system and due to the cost and complexity of this paint type and to save money (not only Toyota) the pearlescent layer is only sprayed on the exposed (visible) areas. So is it a simply thickness issue?
One other thing, recently I needed to get the rear spoiler of by black 2019 TS re sprayed now for the third time due to paint blistering on a minor repair originally carried out when new at the dealers. The Toyota approved body shop told me that Toyota are having ‘all sorts of problems’ with paint at the moment. They reckoned it was some sort of reaction between the paint and the exposed plastic and tried to get Toyota to cover it under warranty rather than accept it was poorly repaired but as it was a repair of a repair of a repair Toyota wouldn’t touch it. 

Re your latter comment. Could it be the spray shop used that is trying to take the blame away from themselves. Just asking, because it could be so.

Sounds to me from recent posts that the "Toyota build quality" is definitely not what it used to be.

Like most manufacturers Toyota are cutting costs, using cheaper parts, materials, and quality is suffering.

Iain

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Catlover said:

Re your latter comment. Could it be the spray shop used that is trying to take the blame away from themselves. Just asking, because it could be so.

I think there was a element of this but the assessor I spoke to gave me several more examples of issues they are having not only related to plastic adhesion. This body shop are exclusively used by the local Toyota dealer. 

Update, Dealer has sent more pics and paint thickness results to Toyota today, also requested quote from approved body shop. Service manager had checked three other vehicles on site, one in show room, and one a 22 plate, he saw the same issue on the RH hinge, He informed me that the hinges are bonded to the body not bolted.   I will further update when I hear more.

Thankfully both of mine look fine.

I still might give them a toot of Dynax or XCP rust blocker just as a bit of protection.

Just on the social side of matters, Back at Le Mans 24hour this year to support Toyota Gazoo Racing, (and Ferrari) anyone else making the trip ?

I noticed a small area under the right side hinge when cleaning my car the other day. It doesn't wipe off. My car was built in January and delivered in March.

IMG_3644 Large.jpeg

• Sad 2

Suggest a trip to Dealer, Would be interested to know their take on it.

22 minutes ago, DogDayz said:

I noticed a small area under the right side hinge when cleaning my car the other day. It doesn't wipe off. My car was built in January and delivered in March.

IMG_3644 Large.jpeg

Looks like rust to me. Seems to be a gap in whatever is between the hinge and the frame

There is some form of spacer between the hinge and the car body. It looks like the spacer has the rust, not the hinge or the body.

I'll be getting in touch with them to have it checked. Mine is a lease so not taking responsibility for that at the end of my contract.

Car is 6 months old and I've got rust on both hinges! When the car was new I did notice that there was a sponge washer/shim/spacer between the hinge and the body that seemed to have had some sort of protective wax coating brushed on so maybe a problem that Toyota are already aware of.

Dealer can have a look at this when they check out the scored front discs

LV71GPF-Hinge-1-1200x1200.jpg

LV71GPF-Hinge-5-1200x1200.jpg

LV71GPF-Hinge-4-1200x1200.jpg

LV71GPF-Hinge-2-1200x1200.jpg

LV71GPF-Hinge-3-1200x1200.jpg

• Sad 2

On 3/30/2022 at 5:41 PM, TourVan said:

Car is 6 months old and I've got rust on both hinges! When the car was new I did notice that there was a sponge washer/shim/spacer between the hinge and the body that seemed to have had some sort of protective wax coating brushed on so maybe a problem that Toyota are already aware of.

Dealer can have a look at this when they check out the scored front discs

LV71GPF-Hinge-1-1200x1200.jpg

LV71GPF-Hinge-5-1200x1200.jpg

LV71GPF-Hinge-4-1200x1200.jpg

LV71GPF-Hinge-2-1200x1200.jpg

LV71GPF-Hinge-3-1200x1200.jpg

So definitely it’s a rust? This is not good. In Yaris forum a lady from Malta has her car with rust not only there but on the paint work between both hinges. Something it’s not right here.  🤔 Another Yaris Cross owner from UK reported first few months ago about this issue, he went to a dealer, they had explained it was some sort of wax and cleaned a bit , that’s what he said to us and shared a picture, my personal opinion is that they did not cleaned it properly and most likely it is a rust and it will take come back again. 

Mine is the same. November 2020 build, garaged most nights so doesn’t get as much rain as some. 

Wow that’s not a good thing for a new car😡. I’ve checked mine and thankfully no sign of rust. But on reading all of the previous posts I will definitely be checking periodically.