Do Not Sell My Personal Information

December 2021, Touring Sports, Tail Gate hinge plate, corrosion, get checking !

Kooikerboy

i have similar but very slightly on my car, there is a lot of sitting water there, I had presumed it was dirt

There's a thread in the Corolla German forum about the same issue. In theory, all the problems have been addresses by the dealerships, but obviously there's not a plan or program to face the recurring problems as a 'class' action or recall:

https://www.toyota-corolla-forum.de/forum/thread/91-rost-am-kofferraumscharnier/?pageNo=1

The concerning thing is that the issue is present in other areas of the car, like the rear bumper mounting points. Take a look at the photos in page 2, they found the issue when the rear mounting point for a bike rack was being installed:

https://www.toyota-corolla-forum.de/forum/thread/91-rost-am-kofferraumscharnier/?postID=20914#post20914

It's clear that a procedure it's faulty or specific paint colours have issues...

• Like 2

On 3/30/2022 at 4:24 PM, Swanthecat said:

Looks like rust to me. Seems to be a gap in whatever is between the hinge and the frame

I have an appointment when I get back from holiday with the dealer to see what the issue is. I will update when I have seen them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine appears to be suffering from this on one of the tailgate hinges so will be visiting the dealer soon to get it checked out :angry:

4 hours ago, Bozz said:

Mine appears to be suffering from this on one of the tailgate hinges so will be visiting the dealer soon to get it checked out :angry:

Any pictures to share? Very interesting, it looks like a wide spread issue on latest Toyota cars. 

Just checked hinges for my garaged 3 year old 1.2 turbo icon TS model, colour denim.....all OK.

This topic had me worried. It seems the area of the hinges pool water and not draining due to bad design. Hinges sprayed with WD40 but I'll keep an eye on them.

Update, Its now two weeks since dealer checked vehicle, Have heard nothing from them , not even, Toyota are dealing with the problem, or rectification actions are being considered, We do not understand the problem, Or there is no problem, I will give them the rest of this the week. Then will go direct to Toyota to understand what their Customer value is when dealing with problems regarding potential warranty issues.

On 4/12/2022 at 7:23 PM, Kooikerboy said:

Update, Its now two weeks since dealer checked vehicle, Have heard nothing from them , not even, Toyota are dealing with the problem, or rectification actions are being considered, We do not understand the problem, Or there is no problem, I will give them the rest of this the week. Then will go direct to Toyota to understand what their Customer value is when dealing with problems regarding potential warranty issues.

I went direct to Toyota once....they then just sent what I said to my dealer and it just went into a loop....

Does anyone know if the HB is effected by this issue, or at the moment just the TS?

Had mine at the dealer on yesterday. got a call this afternoon to say it needs to be booked in for both hinges to be replaced under warranty. going in later this month to have them done.

• Like 4

On 4/12/2022 at 12:27 PM, TonyHSD said:

Any pictures to share? Very interesting, it looks like a wide spread issue on latest Toyota cars. 

Dealer said initially that it was 'normal' however they have agreed to progress a warranty claim. We'll see what they say I guess

IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3931.jpg

• Thanks 2

I had a poke & a prod at the orange ‘rust’ on mine, it’s rubbery, and can be peeled off like silicone. Pretty sure it’s some sort of adhesive / sealant, rather than actual rust, but will keep watching this thread 

1 hour ago, Gray86 said:

I had a poke & a prod at the orange ‘rust’ on mine, it’s rubbery, and can be peeled off like silicone. Pretty sure it’s some sort of adhesive / sealant, rather than actual rust, but will keep watching this thread 

See my earlier post within this topic dated 28th March 2022.

• Like 1

After looking through this thread I deiced to check my Rav4 it would seem there is a compound between the hinge and the bodywork and in these pictures it is more obvious.

IMG_0758.thumb.JPEG.365fdb3e2d079612028920380d47e7db.JPEG 

IMG_0757.thumb.JPEG.b5bcd69e25c9ad93a635ad419dc138aa.JPEG

• Thanks 1

True, it does look like a glue especially on the rav4, but on many Corolla and Yaris it does look like a rust and glue mixed together, not only by the colour but in general. Hopefully it’s not a rust but only glue but this to find out the truth it will take perhaps more time. I am really interested to see the Corolla after warranty work has been completed. Thank you all for sharing your pictures. 👌👍

21 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

True, it does look like a glue especially on the rav4, but on many Corolla and Yaris it does look like a rust and glue mixed together, not only by the colour but in general. Hopefully it’s not a rust but only glue but this to find out the truth it will take perhaps more time. I am really interested to see the Corolla after warranty work has been completed. Thank you all for sharing your pictures. 👌👍

Tony

I don't think its a glue, it is sticky though, what I can't understand is the fact it was sent out looking like this, you would think it would have been cleaned up.

• Like 2

It actually looks like some sort of waxy preservative spray applied in the factory

On the red car pictures there is no any signs of rust where on Corolla and Yaris (the other pictures) it’s definitely rust , perhaps maybe mixed with some sort of metal bond. Whatever is should not be there and cars in general should not have any rust issues at those points even older ones, and here we are talking about 1 year old 🫣. I am interested to see any Prius especially of latest ones, these cars are made in Japan and I am interested to see how their hinges look. I looked at Yaris GR and they seems to be fitted nice and clean., no glue, no rust., perhaps they are bolted onto a carbon roof .

17 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

On the red car pictures there is no any signs of rust where on Corolla and Yaris (the other pictures) it’s definitely rust , perhaps maybe mixed with some sort of metal bond. Whatever is should not be there and cars in general should not have any rust issues at those points even older ones, and here we are talking about 1 year old 🫣. I am interested to see any Prius especially of latest ones, these cars are made in Japan and I am interested to see how their hinges look. I looked at Yaris GR and they seems to be fitted nice and clean., no glue, no rust., perhaps they are bolted onto a carbon roof .

Tony my Rav4 was built in Japan in January this year, so what ever it is it has not been there for long, the excess cleaned of easily with polypropanol on a cloth. Is it possible the 1 year old car have seen a deterioration of the compound with time and moisture?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

Tony my Rav4 was built in Japan in January this year, so what ever it is it has not been there for long, the excess cleaned of easily with polypropanol on a cloth. Is it possible the 1 year old car have seen a deterioration of the compound with time and moisture?

I agree, on your car looks very different from Corolla and Yaris, even the paint look thicker imo. On the cars in question looks like a rust formed under the hinge mounting surface and goes out the bonding glue colour it. We will see what the fixes will be from the dealers and what happens afterwards. 👍

• Like 1

Here a very interesting video about Tesla S plaid body and we have few things to learn and to make our thoughts about Toyota cars too. 
First issue is the rust on the hinges or under them , as we can see the hinges are mounted to the body clean metal to metal and then dunk into a bath for anti corrosion treatment, if that glue pad that seats in between is faulty or not up to the standard and let oxygen and water get into the bare metal the results are obvious.

Second issue with wind noise at high speeds and particularly the Yaris problem that at certain speeds become loud like there is a window open or something wrong with the door seal, the guy explains that at higher speeds the front doors has a tendency to open slightly at top rear corners, and here we go this could be the case. Btw these guys are as valuable as the car care nut or even more. 👍

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've been struggling to keep the 'inner' body parts of the car, specially those that are designed to guide water our of the way, clean. The special mention should be awarded to the tailgate, it's just an amazing collector of pollen, seeds, flowers and so on. No wonder there are a lot of issues mentioned with the hinges of the tailgate and the mounting spots of the rear bumper... Besides that all the surfaces on the top of the tailgate are flat, it's difficult to clean behind the hinges and the cable guides for the rear and roof brake lights.

Also, does anybody knows if you can remove the side covers of the tail lights for better cleaning purposes? A lot of debris managed to build up behind there, and thanks to the design, I think there's something behind them that allows water to drip behind the rear bumper... No wonder they have so many issues with corrosion in the rear bumper mounting points as well.

It's not my car, it's a detail from a Toyota dealer stock photo. I'm referring to the grey plastic side covers of the rear lights, that extends towards the tailgate rubber seals:

1841609646_ScreenShot2022-05-27at11_35_39.thumb.png.510b9d7efcb4ab9b0e0f721e47ff0b81.png

A lot of debris hides behind that plastic bit!

7 hours ago, Gerhard_Corolla said:

I've been struggling to keep the 'inner' body parts of the car, specially those that are designed to guide water our of the way, clean. The special mention should be awarded to the tailgate, it's just an amazing collector of pollen, seeds, flowers and so on. No wonder there are a lot of issues mentioned with the hinges of the tailgate and the mounting spots of the rear bumper... Besides that all the surfaces on the top of the tailgate are flat, it's difficult to clean behind the hinges and the cable guides for the rear and roof brake lights.

Also, does anybody knows if you can remove the side covers of the tail lights for better cleaning purposes? A lot of debris managed to build up behind there, and thanks to the design, I think there's something behind them that allows water to drip behind the rear bumper... No wonder they have so many issues with corrosion in the rear bumper mounting points as well.

It's not my car, it's a detail from a Toyota dealer stock photo. I'm referring to the grey plastic side covers of the rear lights, that extends towards the tailgate rubber seals:

1841609646_ScreenShot2022-05-27at11_35_39.thumb.png.510b9d7efcb4ab9b0e0f721e47ff0b81.png

A lot of debris hides behind that plastic bit!

These plastics covers are part of the tail lights. To remove them you have to remove the lights themselves, clean properly and replace seals. Perhaps once every 5-8 years. You are right about those that cause issues and on previous generation Auris debris and dirt accumulated on that places cause water leaks in boot via lights seals. The rain water drains through the lights under these plastic covers and goes out for those circle openings below them. 👍

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

These plastics covers are part of the tail lights. To remove them you have to remove the lights themselves, clean properly and replace seals. Perhaps once every 5-8 years. You are right about those that cause issues and on previous generation Auris debris and dirt accumulated on that places cause water leaks in boot via lights seals. The rain water drains through the lights under these plastic covers and goes out for those circle openings below them. 👍

Thanks for clarifying that! I thought it was something you could do regularly, but it certainly is a heftier job. I'll just try to relieve the draining channels or extract the most quantity of debris I can with a tooth pick and call it a day...

🙏

• Like 1

Seems strange the OP hasn't updated this topic for just over 6 weeks ......

Well, Here is the update, nothing strange, its taken 6 weeks for Toyota to deal with the matter, Vehicle went into approved body repair shop (Fix Auto) on  Monday 23rd May 09.00hrs, I was informed the work would take 5 days, Collected vehicle on Friday 27th 16.00hrs, Not had time to fully inspect work, but it is obvious there is a greater depth of paint on the whole section where both hinges mount, I understand the estimate of repair was high, So I guess Toyota had reason enough to sort the problem.                

• Like 1