Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anti tamper valve caps put on..

Rav Rob

Arrived today, nothing sophisticated, you can just do them up very tight with a standard Allen key (supplied) and they are very smooth and slim so very difficult to get enough gip to remove by hand, I couldn't do it. Hopefully anyone trying to deflate a tyre wouldn't be carrying tools. Will keep the Allen key in the lock nut box in glovebox.

caps_080941.jpg

43 minutes ago, Rav Rob said:

Arrived today, nothing sophisticated, you can just do them up very tight with a standard Allen key (supplied) and they are very smooth and slim so very difficult to get enough gip to remove by hand, I couldn't do it. Hopefully anyone trying to deflate a tyre wouldn't be carrying tools. Will keep the Allen key in the lock nut box in glovebox.

caps_080941.jpg

Seems very sensible. do you have a link to the supplier?

24 minutes ago, davidif said:

Seems very sensible. do you have a link to the supplier?

Aliexpress, I fiddled with shipping option on pulldown and changed to Cainiao Standard for an extra couple of quid to speed up delivery considerably (couple of weeks).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003106686648.html

Plenty around on places like eBay, but most of those use a side entry grubscrew to lock on, to me that is liable to damage the valve thread so are a bad idea, Also a garage not realising and trying to force them off will definitely wreck the thread. 

These ones are just very tight so using some grips for example wouldn't cause damage except to the cap.

16 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

Aliexpress, I fiddled with shipping option on pulldown and changed to Cainiao Standard for an extra couple of quid to speed up delivery considerably (couple of weeks).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003106686648.html

Plenty around on places like Ebay, but most of those use a side entry grubscrew to lock on, to me that is liable to damage the valve thread so are a bad idea, Also a garage not realising and trying to force them off will definitely wreck the thread. 

These ones are just very tight so using some grips for example wouldn't cause damage except to the cap.

Many thanks, I will have a look at these.

Over the years I've heard of people having problems with metal dust caps getting stuck and being hard/impossible to remove. I don't know how common it is but just something to consider.

15 minutes ago, RAV4-D4D said:

Over the years I've heard of people having problems with metal dust caps getting stuck and being hard/impossible to remove. I don't know how common it is but just something to consider.

Yes, I had heard of similar.

In one instance, an owner had fitted metal dustcaps that looked like small dice, just for fun.

At the next service, the dealer couldn't get them off and broke the valve stems trying.  It cost him £250 to fix that, as only one of the four caps came off at all, if I remember correctly.

That was down to galvanic corrosion, I think.

Love the idea of the ones above though.

6 hours ago, Gerg said:

Yes, I had heard of similar.

In one instance, an owner had fitted metal dustcaps that looked like small dice, just for fun.

At the next service, the dealer couldn't get them off and broke the valve stems trying.  It cost him £250 to fix that, as only one of the four caps came off at all, if I remember correctly.

That was down to galvanic corrosion, I think.

Love the idea of the ones above though.

I will keep an eye on them. They appear to have a sort of anodised coating.

As the (HEV) RAV only provides a miserable lamp for loss of tyre pressure instead of proper readings, they will be removed fairly regularly to check pressures. Also with my mileage, services are very close.

I read somewhere to put vaseline on the threads before !Removed! on.  Haven’t tried tho 🤷

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, alan333 said:

I read somewhere to put vaseline on the threads before !Removed! on.  Haven’t tried tho 🤷

Might defeat the purpose of anti-tamper if it makes them come off too easy though!

1 hour ago, alan333 said:

Trying to remember what word I used for install/tighten 🤔

Hi, yes I had metal dust caps seize up on me in a remarkably short time. Tried that gold coloured grease that you put on the back of brake pads and that helped a lot second time around.

Screw them on and leave them at your peril.

I have now gone fore chrome effect plastic ones.

regards Terry 

That's it, thanks 😂😂

Its the age thing! What's my name ?🙄😂

Terry

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RAV4-D4D said:

Very.  

I had that problem with mine and a nice with hers.  I had to use a hacksaw.  I didn't damage the valves. 

Also be careful when you go to a tyre shop; they are cap-blind.

Best clean them frequently which of course you do every month when you check the pressures.  Also take them off before you go to the tyre shop. 

34 minutes ago, Bcc212 said:

Copper grease!

Copper grease is definitely the way to go. Vaseline doesn't work.

copaslip.jpg

1 hour ago, alan333 said:

Trying to remember what word I used for install/tighten 🤔

I'm glad that was edited - after all, we seem to have virgin eyes/ears on this website 🙈🙉🙊

What's the purpose of these? To stop oiks letting your tyres down? In such a case I'd worry that they'd resort to slashing the tyres if they can't get the caps off easily - which would be a lot worse than the minor annoyance of a deflated tyre.

17 hours ago, alan333 said:

Yes, that is an old and effective method.