Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

new phone

50p

Just completed a 783 mile break in the 1.8 Excel hatch. It performed well although revved rather highly whilst trying to get up speed on motorways. Maybe should have put it in sport mode? Road noise was fine on the 18'' skinny tyred wheels and the sports seats caused no issues. Not worked out the exact MPG but the computer says 62.3. The built in satnav tried to send me totally in the wrong direction, my wife had a few strong words at me, re-programmed it, same result! Luckily had a TomTom (satnav, not drum) and an analogue road map so was ok. Also noticed that the Corollas speedo is about 3-4 mph fast.

Anyway, whilst away I dropped and broke my mobile phone. Was thinking of getting another Huawei but then realised the one I was looking at doesn't have Google services, so I guess this means no Android Auto?

• Like 1

The revs is the CVT, sport mode won't help.

Google services are easy enough to add. You don't get them with many of the custom OS's and just add them separately.  Not sure about Android Auto though.

• Like 1

Just been reading about Huawei and Google services. That doesn't look promising at all. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 50p said:

Also noticed that the Corollas speedo is about 3-4 mph fast.

If comparing the speed with your TomTom, that will show an average speed over a given number of points, rather than the true speed. 

Legally speedometers are required to be optimistic. For example in the UK, speedometers must never show less than the vehicle's true speed. The UK differs from the EU in that speedometers must never show more than 110% of the true speed, and additionally for all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower than this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph.

• Like 1

Since Google banned Huawei from using Android, Huawei have installed their own operating system. Believe Android APKs can still be loaded onto Huawei phones, but aren't fully protected by Android security.

• Like 1

The Corolla we test drove was a 19 plate Excel pre CarPlay / Android Auto. A quick play with the standard nav clarified the fact that phone mirroring with Google maps/ Waze is a prerequisite. Any phone without would not be a consideration. The my22 model with TomTom may sway this view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, camellia30 said:

Just been reading about Huawei and Google services. That doesn't look promising at all. 

that's what I thought. As I'm buying 2nd hand will look for an earlier model.

Huawei are no more here in Europe since 2020 due to the restrictions caused by the US government. Best replacement for Android phone are xiaomi phones. They had stepped up their game since then and currently are one of the best phone maker in the world. Their products are of a high quality, I am not an android fan, I do prefer Apple iPhones and believe that these are the best but as a second phone for some particular apps I use Huawei p30 lite and it’s good but if I need a new android phone xiaomi will be my first choice. 👍 https://www.mi.com/uk/

• Like 2

The nav in my 2021 seems fine, though it has had 4 updates since I bought it.

The only complaint I do have is when paired to my phone it takes quite a while to retrieve and read out text messages.

It doesn't really bother me too much as I'd expect a phonecall rather than a text in an emergency. 

14 hours ago, 50p said:

revved rather highly whilst trying to get up speed on motorways.

This is normal for a CVT. When you put your foot on the pedal, the car decides the optimum Revs for maximum efficiency/performance.

The CVT in the Corolla is not a conventional gearbox and in fact only had a single gear which moves the drive pulley and adjusts this for higher or lower speeds. The rev counter in the dash used to be a workload meter with eco and power, the higher the ‘rev’ the more into power the needle went. Toyota changed this to a rev counter but it’s working the exact same as it was before, I think they are now reverting back to the eco/power meter in newer models to prevent the confusion of what the rev counter actually means.

Toyota eCVT’s are indeed completely different from the conventional cvt automatics., there are no belt and pulleys. 
The revs higher up  are not always and it will depend on few factors like Battery state of charge, engine load, car speed, engine temperature, how far the accelerator is depressed.
When accelerating on motorways for overtaking or joining the motorway from a slip road and you want all that to happen quickly you have to push harder, sometimes perhaps floor it for a few seconds then release a bit. When doing so the car will ask the e motor to extra help the internal combustion engine and they will work together better synchronised to deliver the demand of power required, the rpm will rise more progressively but also more linear and you will feel the extra power and how the car accelerates faster with less effort. It’s similar to kick down on regular automatic with gears and torque converter with lock up function.
The worst case scenario for rpm reviving up is when you have a drained Battery and you want to accelerate faster, then the car will be sluggish and revs high without much of speed gain, in this case use the above trick for a few seconds, push it harder and the car will react quicker then release and the car will settle after recharge it’s Battery. Because of the way the whole system works and the fact there are no gears and clutches all control happens via the accelerator and how you manage it yourself, with the time and practice you will master and enjoy more your Toyota hybrid. 😉👌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the new sat nav is better than the previous , but trying it out in manchester , at a tee junction  my car said turn right but my comparison tom tom said left , i did as the boss told me , all ended well. the boss and the car were right.   

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links