Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange clicking noise & won't start !!!

GoonerKev

I think you will need a new Battery. Charging points under bonnet are located behind this black plastic cover. 🔋👍

F5C81F68-5C87-4E69-85A1-540E4B23AD51.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GoonerKev said:

Just come back from a little drive around a few roads and it all seems ok, so will see what the morning brings, thank you both very much indeed Gentlemen. I bid you a very good night 😉zzzzzzzzz

A “little drive around” may not be enough Kevin. Unless you had it on a slow charge for 5 or 6 hours there will not be enough charge in the 12v to sustain little drives around. We are approaching warmer weather so you may get away with it, but come autumn/winter when a cold snap comes it will test that Battery and the Battery will probably fail. You either need to drive it 2 or 3 times a week for 40 minutes or more each time, or sit the car on your drive in READY mode for similar time/frequenc.That let’s the big hybrid Battery to charge up the 12v battery. The engine may fire up occasionally but that is to charge up the hybrid battery (which you cannot do with a standard charger).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I think you will need a new battery. Charging points under bonnet are located behind this black plastic cover. 🔋👍

F5C81F68-5C87-4E69-85A1-540E4B23AD51.jpeg

Thank you Tony 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

A “little drive around” may not be enough Kevin. Unless you had it on a slow charge for 5 or 6 hours there will not be enough charge in the 12v to sustain little drives around. We are approaching warmer weather so you may get away with it, but come autumn/winter when a cold snap comes it will test that battery and the battery will probably fail. You either need to drive it 2 or 3 times a week for 40 minutes or more each time, or sit the car on your drive in READY mode for similar time/frequenc.That let’s the big hybrid battery to charge up the 12v battery. The engine may fire up occasionally but that is to charge up the hybrid battery (which you cannot do with a standard charger).

Thank you Catlover, it started at 7 this morning (little sleep for me), I have been at Toyota Gatwick since 7.45 this morning and car is in workshop, just waiting now. 

• Like 2

All sorted now, it was the 12v Battery that had died, they put a brand new one on and no faults were found on their scanning system, 10/10 for Gatwick Toyota's quick response to the problem, afterwards the Sales Manager came to see me & heard all the details, then said when your passing next, please pop in and we will fill your car up on fuel as a way of saying sorry (something in my head is telling me that I will call in on them when the petrol light comes on😉).

Many thanks for all those who have contributed in helping me with this problem, grateful to you all 👏👏👏👏👏

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GoonerKev said:

All sorted now, it was the 12v battery that had died, they put a brand new one on and no faults were found on their scanning system, 10/10 for Gatwick Toyota's quick response to the problem, afterwards the Sales Manager came to see me & heard all the details, then said when your passing next, please pop in and we will fill your car up on fuel as a way of saying sorry (something in my head is telling me that I will call in on them when the petrol light comes on😉).

Many thanks for all those who have contributed in helping me with this problem, grateful to you all 👏👏👏👏👏

Good to hear all sorted. 👍👌

• Like 1

Not owning or familiar with hybrids, would one of those small lithium Battery "jump" packs be safe to use for that 12v Battery when it has low voltage?

Just being curious.

I carry one in my car anyway, under the driver's seat. Just in case I encounter a damsel (or anyone!) in distress with a flat Battery.:ph34r:

46 minutes ago, mrpj1 said:

Not owning or familiar with hybrids, would one of those small lithium battery "jump" packs be safe to use for that 12v battery when it has low voltage?

Just being curious.

I carry one in my car anyway, under the driver's seat. Just in case I encounter a damsel (or anyone!) in distress with a flat battery.:ph34r:

That is a very good question, I have one of those as well but wasn't sure if it would work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrpj1 said:

Not owning or familiar with hybrids, would one of those small lithium battery "jump" packs be safe to use for that 12v battery when it has low voltage?

Just being curious.

I carry one in my car anyway, under the driver's seat. Just in case I encounter a damsel (or anyone!) in distress with a flat battery.:ph34r:

Yes they are👍.  Some members here have and use similar products, I never had issues with my batteries to date as I am driving every day a bit more and the Battery gets charged well but for occasional drivers a trickle charger and power bank are very useful accessories. 👌

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Yes they are👍.  Some members here have and use similar products, I never had issues with my batteries to date as I am driving every day a bit more and the battery gets charged well but for occasional drivers a trickle charger and power bank are very useful accessories. 👌

That's great news to hear Tony, will put mine in car. But hopefully wo t need it now👍🏼

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The owners manual has info about jumping a hybrid, and from what i remember, there are dedicated jump terminals on the car.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GoonerKev said:

All sorted now, it was the 12v battery that had died, they put a brand new one on and no faults were found on their scanning system, 10/10 for Gatwick Toyota's quick response to the problem, afterwards the Sales Manager came to see me & heard all the details, then said when your passing next, please pop in and we will fill your car up on fuel as a way of saying sorry (something in my head is telling me that I will call in on them when the petrol light comes on😉).

Getting your car filled with petrol Kevin is nice wee extra bonus, at least they are showing little bit of appreciation for a frequent and loyal customer, well done Toyota dealership 👏👏

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GoonerKev said:

Wow that's amazing customer service! Owning up to a mistake and making it right like that seems like such a rare thing these days! 

I wish my dealer was that conscientious!

6 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

Just being curious.

A low-powered lithium jump pack may actually be better as it'll be gentler on the system than some of the higher powered ones - The HSD needs very little power to get started.

Where a starter motor needs several hundred amps to crank an engine, the HSD's only need maybe an amp or 2 to power the ECU and allow it to power up the traction Battery contactors to do the heavy lifting so they really don't need much power.

I've heard of people 'jump-starting' a HSD with a string of alkaline batteries, although not sure how true it is :laugh: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Getting your car filled with petrol Kevin is nice wee extra bonus, at least they are showing little bit of appreciation for a frequent and loyal customer, well done Toyota dealership 👏👏

Couldn't agree more Bernard, pleased with the outcome, thank you👍

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Wow that's amazing customer service! Owning up to a mistake and making it right like that seems like such a rare thing these days! 

I wish my dealer was that conscientious!

A low-powered lithium jump pack may actually be better as it'll be gentler on the system than some of the higher powered ones - The HSD needs very little power to get started.

Where a starter motor needs several hundred amps to crank an engine, the HSD's only need maybe an amp or 2 to power the ECU and allow it to power up the traction battery contactors to do the heavy lifting so they really don't need much power.

I've heard of people 'jump-starting' a HSD with a string of alkaline batteries, although not sure how true it is :laugh: 

Cyker, I am certainly pleased with the outcome and their quick response, a top dealership. That's good to hear on a lower powered jump pack, mine is that sort as I had it for my scooter when I travelled to Ypres on it, for emergencies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoonerKev said:

That's great news to hear Tony, will put mine in car. But hopefully wo t need it now👍🏼

That’s good Kevin, just don’t put it in the boot. As you know you can’t get in the boot if the Battery flat. Keep it somewhere in the driver cab area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

That’s good Kevin, just don’t put it in the boot. As you know you can’t get in the boot if the battery flat. Keep it somewhere in the driver cab area.

I have had that lesson learned now Joe😉, it's small enough to put in glove box 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after work Friday I went to Toyota Gatwick (with just under a quarter fuel left in tank), saw the Manager who asked me to come in if I'm passing. He took my fob, said it won't be long, 5 minutes later he returned the fob and said all sorted for you Sir, I thanked him and went to my car & was pleasantly surprised to see that they had filled up  the tank to full. Great service from them👏👏👏👏👍

• Like 2

Wow, maybe I need to goto Gatwick! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cyker said:

You are better not, you will start telling them how you missed your diesel mk1 and how nice she was to drive and they will fill up with diesel instead 😂🤣

just kidding ✌️

• Haha 2

Thankfully, having tried to put diesel in the Mk4 already (That muscle memory dies hard!), I know the nozzle won't go in :laugh: 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Cyker, it certainly was a pleasant surprise👍👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links