Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flappy paddles test

DogDayz

Odd description.!! I have done a very crude test on my car.

As I have said on another post, I have the 2.0L GR Sport Hatchback. The one with Paddle Shift. I love this car. Not had a hybrid before and never drive a Toyota.

Others have commented on these being pointless. That they were 'added to make people feel like they were in control of a proper sports car'. Given the car is actually a CVT and doesn't have 'Gears' as such. I can now confirm the paddle shifts are just for decoration, even more, they should be ignored.

I travel to the same place of work 4 times per week. I take the same route each time and travel at identical times so the traffic is consistent. The route to work has a long incline and a shorter, steep descent. I have to cross a moor. The journey home is the opposite.

I used the MyT app to note the Hybrid Score, EV Time, EV Distance and Fuel Consumption.

I spent a week driving to and from work in D with the engine in Eco. 4 journeys to work and 4 home. 

I spent the second week - part of - driving to and from work in S with the engine in Eco. 2 journeys to work and 2 home. I am not bothering to finish the week in S drive as it will be a waste of fuel.

I have attached a screenshot from the spreadsheet. As can be seen, the fuel consumption is very different when you take over changing 'Gears' in the car rather than letting the very intelligent computer decide on the ratios to use. The only anomaly from the crude test was the drives home on 21st and 28th March. What I can say about that is I was running on fumes on the way home on March 28th so the car will have been much lighter. In conclusion, I will not be bothering with the paddles or S drive.

When I want to have some fun, and waste some fuel, then I will move it to Sport mode instead and leave the car to decide on the ratios.

Screenshot 2022-03-30 at 16.13.17.png

• Like 2

Well that’s to be expected. Thanks for sharing the test results. I think the B mode in 1.8 variants is much more useful than these shifters., which actually should do the same job to slow down the car with engine braking. 👍

The paddles are great when you are driving in a hilly / mountain region as they can induce variable engine braking (each ‘gear’ gives more engine braking). Other than that, they can be used to get the engine revs up in readiness for an overtake instead of waiting for the kick down sensation. I rarely use them though 

only use them when on country / moor roads , but i haven`t noticed much difference in fuel consumption when as in a manual car you get into top a.s.a.p. but i think they are great as i got used to them in my 2ltr design, play with them and have some fun.