Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine warm up time 1.8

Westerner

Just wondering how long it takes the 1.8 to get up to temperature during colder spells, currently have the 2.0 which warms up nice and quickly but am looking at maybe changing to the 1.8 later this year.

cheers

1 hour ago, Westerner said:

Just wondering how long it takes the 1.8 to get up to temperature during colder spells, currently have the 2.0 which warms up nice and quickly but am looking at maybe changing to the 1.8 later this year.

cheers

Hi,

it’s the same as any other hybrid, nice and quick. It takes around 2-3 minutes and the heating will start blowing some warm air and the first bar of the temp gauge will move up. 👍

My Yaris definitely doesn't do it nice and quick :laugh: - Unless I keep the heating off completely it never actually reaches operating temperature i winter! :laugh: 

Thanks for the replies, I’m sure I remember reading on here people someone saying the 1.8 takes an age to warm up. I only ask as a lot of my journeys start early in the morning and even on the coldest days the 2.0 I have has began to warm up within 30-60 seconds, I’m not sure I would want to swap to the 1.8 if it was considerably slower to reach temp

It depends a lot on your journey too - If there's a lot of A-road/motorway it will heat up much faster, but if it's all urban and traffic jams it will take longer. I imagine it would heat up faster than mine just because it's a bigger engine but vs the 2.0 couldn't say.

The problem with highly efficient engines is they don't generate much waste heat - Even my old diesel could get me half-way to work before the cold-engine light went out on very cold days!

As far as I can tell, the 1.8 hybrid engine is programmed to prioritise getting the engine to working temperature. This is why attempts to complete short journeys from cold in Eco mode always fail. I would expect the 1.8 to be at least as quick to warm up as the 2.0.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Westerner said:

Thanks for the replies, I’m sure I remember reading on here people someone saying the 1.8 takes an age to warm up. I only ask as a lot of my journeys start early in the morning and even on the coldest days the 2.0 I have has began to warm up within 30-60 seconds, I’m not sure I would want to swap to the 1.8 if it was considerably slower to reach temp

i suspect you may have the electric heater for it to warm up that quick, it usually comes with the heated wheel and seats

58 minutes ago, flash22 said:

i suspect you may have the electric heater for it to warm up that quick, it usually comes with the heated wheel and seats

No heated wheel with uk cars unless they have a Suzuki Badge on the front (explain the logic in that when they are built in the same factory).

• Like 1

i couldn`t say but would assume there wouldn`t be much difference unless you actually timed it with a stop watch, it`s something i assume most folk would not think about when choosing a car.  

• Like 1

i find it takes about 5-7 min to warm up (dial to mid) in town driving never really tested motorway cos it takes that long to get there.

seat heaters are great, cabin warms up within about 2 mins on regular hvac

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links