Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First 30 days and 1950 miles on the clock

Niky

Hi all

Just wanted to share quickly my first month of ownership. The car is MY22  1.8 TS icon tech in white

I find the the car pretty quiet(my old one was a diesel), very comfy, seats are great (love the lumbar support and the heating). The active cruise control works great for me -  mainly motorway commute. Averaging 63mpg - even if I push it a bit the mpg doesn't change much which is great. I was driving carefully at the beginning, but lately stopped looking at the dash and just drive it as I was driving my old Civic diesel and I am pleasantly surprised that the fuel consumption doesn't change. It is absolutely powerful enough for me, easily goes to 70mph and feels absolutely perfect keeping that speed. Think it will be very relaxing drive for long distances- will be doing one this summer Hampshire, Snowdonia, York, Highlands and back. Infotainment system is pretty good - simple without much options, but is does the job well - it is fast too.

I am sure there is much more to be said, but this is it from me for now.

Cheers

• Like 8

Yeah these TNGA-based hybrids are sooo gooood :biggrin: 

I am really surprised how good on fuel it is. At first I was really careful looking at the dash all the time trying to keep it in eco/ev, but last couple of tanks just ignored that and drive it absolutely normally and the fuel economy stays pretty much the same. 

Very happy with the car

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Niky said:

I am really surprised how good on fuel it is. At first I was really careful looking at the dash all the time trying to keep it in eco/ev, but last couple of tanks just ignored that and drive it absolutely normally and the fuel economy stays pretty much the same. 

Very happy with the car

Hi Nickolay, great that you’re enjoying your Corolla Hybrid, safe and happy motoring for many years ahead of you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't wait to get ours. Only a few more months to go now.

just over 1k in mine and delighted as i was with my 20plate design. fuel economy improving as engine slacks off used on motorway ,country /moorland  and around town, enjoy.

ive done ove 1300 miles in mine and ii find that tye way i drive it makes a difference whether i get high 40's to 80's especially on motoways, adaptive cruise at 70-75 gets about 47 mpg whilst averaging 60 and using pulse and glide can me to mid 80's in town i find it can range from 50's to 80's+

• Like 1

One of the reasons I bought this car was the good fuel efficiency cos I am doing some miles - 60 miles commute. Everything is kind of budgeted for, cos the car is used mainly to get me work

Well it's not only the fuel, of course - Toyota's reliability is probably the first thing to consider. Although it is early to say anything for the reliability yet, there are plenty of happy people out there with high miles on their Corollas.

Also very happy with the relaxing drive - as one review I watched on YouTube the car just makes you drive kinda slow and relaxed, just enjoy regardless of the speed (only 70mph limit on the motorways in UK though) However, even if I am doing 60 behind a car on a slow lane it doesn't bother me at all - Just let the active cruise control do its thing. 

There are few little annoying things, but tbh nothing comes in my head now - probably need to go behind the wheel to remember what it was😀😀😀

• Like 1

I've had mine 2 months, done about 1500 miles (it's on 6800 miles now) and I'm really happy.

Comfy, quiet and the mpg is good. I'm currently getting an average of around 51/52, my best is 56 lowest 48.

• Like 1

When you think about it although we get more mpg with our hybrids, the cost to change, for me anyway, was pretty hefty, and the cost savings on fuel will never recoup this cost to change.

Am I thinking too deeply ? 😃

Iain

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

When you think about it although we get more mpg with our hybrids, the cost to change, for me anyway, was pretty hefty, and the cost savings on fuel will never recoup this cost to change.

Iain

You are absolutely correct, it would have been to run your previous car until it fell apart. It's what I could have done, but one thing led to another, and I ordered my Yaris.

I was tempted to look for a new car because at c. 70 k km my 208 needed new shock absorbers, and I had already spent in the order of 1000€ on repairs prior to that. I started to think running costs would be cheaper with a new car.

Having looked around, the only choice was a Toyota hybrid, because no other choice would give reduced day to day running costs, and also reduce CO₂ emissions. I am more than happy with the choice, I get roughly 35% better fuel economy and the consequent reduction in CO₂.

However the net cost to me, over my old 208, was some 12k €, which is an awful lot of fuel, even at today's prices.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Iain

Mine was 18k plus my GT 86.

No finance involved so the cost was the cost.

The way I'm looking at it - my 86 was modified meaning modified car insurance. The Corolla is nearly £300 a year cheaper.

Better mpg by around 20.

£130 a year cheaper to tax (currently)

Plus my knees, back and shoulders are falling apart. The comfort and quietness alone are worth it 

Ps, I'm an Iain too 😁

• Like 1

My old Civic diesel was getting close to 150k miles. Now was a good time to sell it while I could still get some money for it, considering there are talks of expanding ULEZ zone to cover whole London next or the year after. It would also need a clutch and flywheel charge soon, which would cost around £1.5k. Something else would come up too at this milage.

I was looking to get 3 years old Corolla TS, but when saw the prices.....ohhh the prices...... currently the cheapest one in Autotrader is 69 plate with 45k miles for £19199. Then I started looking for different deals out of curiosity and got to Carwaw then I just couldn't resist...... Ended up paying £2k deposit for a new one on PCP. Works out £283 per month for 41 months for 20k miles per year (gap insurance included and 0% interest) and £10.2k at the end.

If the current prices are still the same in 42 months I should be able to sell the car to a different dealer for at least £12k, or just buy it with another loan and keep it for few more years, then sell it - should get around £8k in 6-7 years with 120-40k miles on the clock.

It just works out better buying new vs the 69 plate with the current prices

• Like 5

Looking back at my decision to go for it I think the 5 year warranty was a factor which swayed me.

I feel as I'm getting older I'm looking more at the cost/outlay and if it's worth it, and do I really need it🤔

Iain

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Niky said:

Same, I'm surprised how differences in my driving styles do not correspond to different fuel consumptions. I recently had a "sporty" drive on country roads in sport mode, and got 4.7 l/100km (60 uk mpg). My overall mpg (4500km on the odo) is 5 l/100km (56.5 uk mpg).

Btw, I've heard it's supposed to even get better after first 5000-6000 km (engine break in?).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Persimmon said:

Same, I'm surprised how differences in my driving styles do not correspond to different fuel consumptions. I recently had a "sporty" drive on country roads in sport mode, and got 4.7 l/100km (60 uk mpg). My overall mpg (4500km on the odo) is 5 l/100km (56.5 uk mpg).

Btw, I've heard it's supposed to even get better after first 5000-6000 km (engine break in?).

Not really much an improvement after break in period.
This process is more important for the engine reliability in the future and it’s the first 1000 miles max when it’s a good idea to be easy on it. Then after the car will be the same no matter how many miles you put on, which is the most important and the best of all. I had a couple of Priuses from new 0 miles , then my current Auris hybrid which is 205000 miles and counting, the car  still drives the same as when was new. Efficiency to date is unaffected by its age and mileage, and all that only with regular maintenance on time., the car is on everything original. 😉👌

• Like 3

I find the temperature has the biggest effect on the mpg - the sudden arctic temps we've been having have really knocked down my tank average!

My poor Mk4 just can't retain any heat when driving urban roads because the engine runs so infrequently.

As for the economics, if I pit my Mk4 against my old Mk1 D4D then it would make no financial sense as they are virtually neck and neck for calculated mpg, and the Mk1 is an order of magnitude cheaper! The widening gap between diesel and petrol costs would factor into that slightly, but then again bio-diesel is a thing you can make for very little money if it got bad enough and I'd be more confident running on that than bio-ethanol in a petrol car! (Not sure if bio-petrol is a thing, not even sure what you'd make it from, so suspect it'd be much much harder and more expensive than bio-diesel!)

But, thanks to KHAAAAN! forcing all us DERV drivers to scrap perfectly functioning vehicles, the Mk4 vs the Mk2 makes a lot more sense. My annual fuel bill vs the Mk2 is practically halved although my tax and insurance has gone up which dents that a bit. The mind-boggling unreliability of that Mk2 also means I will save a lot of money on repairs I suspect! :laugh: 

I think our mayor is responsible for some of the biggest emissions increases this decade as the amount of people in London dropping old cars for new because of the ULEZ is staggering. It's getting worse too, as everyone is expecting him to backtrack on his promise to not extend it to the M25, so even people past the A406 are preparing to change cars.

The emissions caused by the needless creation of all these extra cars is never going to be offset in the lifetime of the cars so it'll be a net increase, and that'll happen again when the EV switchover happens...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Two months on and 3500 miles. Average total mileage on the dash 62.7mpg. Love the car, but...

Few annoying things for me - most have been already shared in different topics. Not a big deal, just those little things......

Cruise control- very annoying it doesn't remember, and doesn't keep my preferred setting, but every time I must turn the cruise control on stand by, set it On and press 2 times to reduce the distance to one line (out of 3 on the dash) for the car in front of me. My old Civic would at least remember if the cruise control was left on stand by.

Infotainment system- very annoying every time it asks for a profile to be logged in. If going for a long drive I would turn my bluetooth on, or use android auto, then it would use my phone's profile, but those short journeys......really annoying. Red there must be a way telling the key who is driving, but couldn't find any more info. Will ask the dealer on the first service

Sometimes there is a little cracking noise coming from my (driver's) window - only if the window is lowered half way. It disappears if the window is all the way down or up. Haven't worked what is it yet

The tailgate and rear window get dirty very quickly - the whole car might look nice and clean, not the tailgate though. Also the rear bumper holds dirt coming from the tailgate.

Sound of the Speakers - can't find a good sound set up - very strange set up. All my previous cars were set to play rear and front Speakers with a good balance between, this doesn't work well with the Corolla. If I want the rear Speakers playing the quality of the sound becomes tragic - rear speakers are very quiet and there is no good balance between front and rear. What have you done with your sound set up(my2022)?

That's all for now

• Like 1

I never worry about rear Speakers, I don't sit in there so it doesn't bother me. I tend to go for around 70/80% front fade.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:49 AM, Hybrid21 said:

Iain

I don't know if you are over thinking it but if you are, so am I.  I have just purchased an Aygo to replace my Honda CRV, I would have loved to have purchased a hybrid but I just could not afford it.  Since then, as we know the energy market has gone bonkers so I would probably regretted the extra cost if I could have found it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

I don't know if you are over thinking it but if you are, so am I.  I have just purchased an Aygo to replace my Honda CRV, I would have loved to have purchased a hybrid but I just could not afford it.  Since then, as we know the energy market has gone bonkers so I would probably regretted the extra cost if I could have found it.

If you ask Toyota dealer to swap your Aygo for,Yaris hybrid you may be surprised how good offer you will be given, dealers make money from selling used cars not new and currently there is a huge demand for used cars become new are rarely available. Anyone with up to 5 years old car can make even a profit. Best to check 👍

• Like 1

Yeah I had a lot of people pointing out the stupidity of getting rid of a £2500 Yaris and replacing it with a £25000 (!!) Yaris as not making any financial sense, but I'm hoping that I get a big chunk of that back when I eventually sell the car, and even if I don't I tend to front-load costs - I always prefer to pay more up front to have a lower on-going cost, as that allows me to save up money because my income isn't being wiped-out by the on-going costs.

There are non-financial benefits too - For one the Mk4 has brought the joy of driving back whereas the Mk2 was seriously damaging my calm with how unreliable it was getting and how horrible it was in traffic and the motorway and un-fun on a country road. Couldn't even take it out for a hoon because I'd get wallet regret from how much fuel that would burn! More than doubled my fuel costs vs the Mk1 D4D I had before! (Not helped by rising fuel costs admittedly)

One curious thing about the Mk2 is it was supposed to be scrapped, but I can see it's been MOT'd and taxed twice now so apparently their definition of scrapped is different to mine...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

If you ask Toyota dealer to swap your Aygo for,Yaris hybrid you may be surprised how good offer you will be given, dealers make money from selling used cars not new and currently there is a huge demand for used cars become new are rarely available. Anyone with up to 5 years old car can make even a profit. Best to check 👍

Well I have only had the Aygo since February so I doubt the offer would be very different from what I paid.  Even then the Aygo was an ex-demonstrator as I was trying to keep the price down.  Apart from that, with the cost of living crisis already underway with worse to come, I think all our major buying decisions are on hold for the short to medium future.

• Like 1

As @TonyHSD says, have a word with your dealer, it will cost you nowt, apart from the phone call.  To cut a long story short, I bought my first Toyota in March 2020 on PCP. In February of this year, I was talking to the dealer about replacing the car later this year. In March this year, I drove to the dealers, give them my 2020 car and drove off in an identical, apart from the colour, brand new car with 11 kms, (7 miles), on the clock. Same deal as before with 3 years free servicing and breakdown cover, (okay, I know it is not exactly 'free'). And the best part? I am paying less per month!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links