Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towing with an Aygo, anyone offer clarity please?

Colin J.S

Hi. I run a FB group and the question always comes up and causes a big debate on the legality of towing with these cars. I have looked for ages online trying to come up with a definitive answer. The handbook states the vehicles are not suitable for towing, yet you can buy tow bar kits. So what I'm asking is can anyone clarify this situation? Thanks 

As far as I'm aware, the tow bars kits for the Aygo tend to be used for cycle carriers. 

Toyota say that the Aygo isn't designed for towing, and as regards the second generation, this isn't designed for tow bar cycle carriers.

Would probably be insurance implications if one's car was involved in an accident whilst towing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware, the tow bars kits for the Aygo tend to be used for cycle carriers. 

Toyota say that the Aygo isn't designed for towing, and as regards the second generation, this isn't designed for tow bar cycle carriers.

Would probably be insurance implications if one's car was involved in an accident whilst towing.

Thanks for the response, yes thats how I understand it to be, I currently have a guy arguing you can tow up to 700kg and I advised to check with his insurance, it looks pretty dangerous to me, one pot hole and it would flip over (I know this is a 107 but same car) I wondered how the law stands eg what the police would say 

BA2B7BA0-809C-4830-91F4-172535D47CB4.jpeg

It's not type approved for towing, the roof can take 50kg max

Aygo's are usually get towed (A Frame or roll over) and dont do the towing

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Colin J.S said:

I currently have a guy arguing you can tow up to 700kg

At the end of the day, some people will just do whatever they want regardless of legislation, other people, etc.

I be inclined to just say 'this is the situation, etc', and if he does otherwise, it is at his own risk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick math 790 (curb weight) x 0.85 = 739kg - 15% (85% rule) = 628 kg theoretical max, allowing for the engine size and wheelbase no more than 250-300kg

as for enforcement, if it's a jobsworth traffic officer or DVSA, undue care, driving not within accordance of the licence,

edit. also take into account when you got your licence https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-for-towing-a-trailer-or-caravan-with-a-car-from-autumn-2021

As they say, Ignorantia juris non excusat

• Like 2

As mentioned, I understood that the triplets weren't type approved for towing and the availablility of tow bar kits was to fit certain cycle carriers only. 

Ironically over the years I seen more of the triplets setup for being towed 'tow-a-car' A frame rather than the other way round.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

It's not type approved for towing

5 hours ago, Puglet said:

As mentioned, I understood that the triplets weren't type approved for towing

Since they're not type approved for towing then towing will invalidate your insurance and mean you are driving without insurance - not a risk I would be happy to take.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Since they're not type approved for towing then towing will invalidate your insurance and mean you are driving without insurance - not a risk I would be happy to take.

Not only is that true it is a sad fact that anyone towing will in this manner will likely only find this out when they have had a accident and the insurance company decide not to pay up or, more worryingly, there are persons injured in any accident the the police decide that there is sufficient grounds for a court case.

• Like 2

Hi!

The manual says it is forbidden and I was surprised to see a few Aygos equipped with tow bars!!!

I guess it can be done with very small trailers. The problem is that some will use the Aygo as if it was a Hilux. Anyone who has driven an Aygo with 4 people inside would not dare towing anything.

Given the clutch problems, an Aygo with a tow kit, even if it is mint, would be a big no-go for me.

3 hours ago, zuh said:

I guess it can be done with very small trailers.

Even if it can be done, it shouldn't be done due to the lack of Type Approval for towing. That will cause legal problems in all EU countries (probably more countries too).

• Like 1

I assume they only produced towbars in the first place as that was the safest way to carry any sizeable exterior load, cos you couldn't hang anything off the glass tail hatch.

Like a lot of things in recent years it not illegal to sell something, but it can be illegal to use it!  

• Like 1

When something is sold the manufacturer has no idea what use the new owner is going to use the vehicle.  E Scooters have been illegal to use on road for many years and were sold with instructions saying that they should only be used on private land but where it actually gets used is down to the buyer.  This has been true for many items for years fancy number plates could be made up for use in car shows and the like but they were illegal use on the road. 

You can buy blue automobile bulbs but it is illegal to use them on any front facing car lights.  In fact I remember an instance where one MOT tester changed out some blue lights on the front of a vehicle so that it would pass the MOT but when the young owner came to collect the car he refused point blank to pay for the new bulbs which were around the £1.50 mark (just the bulbs as there was no charge for fitting them).  The tester duly replaced the blue bulbs but the owner was still far from happy even then but now he was complaining about the MOT failure.

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links