Do Not Sell My Personal Information

That 12v battery (again!)

AlJ

LOL. These are like console cheat codes. Any news if they work on the Smart Connect?

• Haha 2

I have a "ctek time to go" charger with AGM mode.

The only difference between charging in NORMAL and AGM modes was that AGM charged the car Battery 30 minutes faster.

18 minutes ago, Kental said:

Not sure I'd recommend that on a mk4 as it does not appear to have an AGM mode.

see @TonyHSD pic above and https://www.ringautomotive.com/files/mydocs/RSC804_Spec.pdf

Most Toyota hybrids have used AGM batteries for the last 18-20 years, so nothing new

As posted in Corolla forum, maybe a bit overkill but to keep both Yaris and forthcoming Corolla tip top I have ordered both a CTEK 5 and a Halfords Lithium jump pack

Halfords

7 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Would this charge the battery of a 2 litre CHR? 

21 minutes ago, Kental said:

As posted in Corolla forum, maybe a bit overkill but to keep both Yaris and forthcoming Corolla tip top I have ordered both a CTEK 5 and a Halfords Lithium jump pack

Halfords

This Halfords one claims to. Without the starter motor, they should perform above specification rather than below. The one you quote states currently unavailable, but upto 10 litre petrol & 7 litre diesel so could be slightly overkill. 

11 hours ago, Spo2 said:

What's is AGM battery? Does CHR has that? Do you need special charger for them? I have got this https://www.amazon.co.uk/GOOLOO-Starter-19800-MAH-Portable-Battery/dp/B07BLM981K 

Would this charge the battery of a 2 litre CHR? 

AGM = Absorbent Glass Mat

Does the C-HR have a AGM Battery? Yes I think all toyota Hybrids have one

The Link you have provided is for a Jump starter not a Battery charger so no it's not suitable to charge your Battery.

20 hours ago, Dala said:

I have a "ctek time to go" charger with AGM mode.

The only difference between charging in NORMAL and AGM modes was that AGM charged the car battery 30 minutes faster.

The manual will show you that the charging voltage is slightly higher for AGM mode.

11 hours ago, preperationlaunch said:

The manual will show you that the charging voltage is slightly higher for AGM mode.

Yes, but nothing happens when you charge the AGM Battery with a lower voltage 14,4V. Or not ?
The ECU will send a maximum of 14.3 V to your car Battery while driving - it will never send 14.7 V

Then there is only a difference in how long I will charge the car Battery in "NORMAL" mode 14,4V and in "AGM" mode 14,7V.

======================================================

Today I tested the voltage meter in the cigarette lighter socket again and I was shocked.
Driving about 60 minutes 14.0V - 14.1V and the last 20 minutes voltage 12.7V.

More frequent driving in EV mode?
Favorable altitude profile of the route?
Outside temperature ?
Lights off due to the sun?
Or all together?

I don't know what caused the ECU to start charging car battery "smartly", but I have to correct my previous comment.

It is possible to measure the voltage at which the Yaris hybrid 2020 car battery is charged via the cigarette lighter socket.

1649447203495_small.jpg

12 hours ago, ICF said:

AGM = Absorbent Glass Mat

Does the C-HR have a AGM battery? Yes I think all toyota Hybrids have one

Not so.  AGM batteries seem to be reserved for on cabin use though it seems some cars have non-AGM inside the car.  Ordinary lead acid seem the normal in the engine bay. 

On 3/31/2022 at 6:28 PM, AlJ said:

Tried to start my Mk4 Yaris before lunch and it didn’t want to know. “Low brake pressure - visit dealer” appeared on the screen. The brake pump, I’d found out a few days ago, is pretty much the first thing it tries to do when you open the door to get in, so at least it was giving an appropriate error. As for visiting my dealer, no chance. It wasn't going anywhere!
After having experienced this problem nine weeks ago, almost to the day, I asked about it on here and following advice, bought a Noco Lithium battery booster jump starter pack. Today was its first test! 
The hardest part was getting the fuse box cover off. Any suggestions on how to make this task easier would be much appreciated. Connecting the Noco to the positive terminal and the negative to one of the suspension bolts was simple. I switched it on, got in the car and pressed 'start'. It worked immediately.

Okay, going in for lunch right away wasn't the best idea, as the car again failed when I tried later. Again, the pack jump-started it easily, though a brief snow flurry made the task a little less pleasant. This time I stayed with the car in 'Ready' mode to give the 12v battery a better chance to charge up. 

I'll admit the car hasn't been used for nine days (apart from starting it once) but this is something of a retrograde step in a new, modern vehicle. It's getting a longish run on Monday and Tuesday but I think a trip to the dealers is in order on my return. 

As for the booster pack. I'm very impressed and it's a lot easier than waiting for Toyota Roadside Assistance to send an AA van. 

IMG_2931 2 copy.jpg

Hi

many thanks and very useful information 

Is it possible you can post a pic how where you connect the positive and negative of noco to the car .

thanks

4 hours ago, irshad said:

Hi

many thanks and very useful information 

Is it possible you can post a pic how where you connect the positive and negative of noco to the car .

thanks

Certainly! As I was out there taking a photo to show you anyway, I thought I may as well take a few others and make it into a sort of guide. 
Apologies to those who know all this already but it may be useful to anyone who doesn't. 😊👍

• Like 1

Now remove cover by pressing in on three side tabs. Actually, I use the ones on the left and right and find the other will pull out on its own. It's fiddly and can take ten seconds or as many minutes depending on luck and/or skill 😉

IMG_3084.thumb.jpg.9814db3157a7e29ef9c897da01ef3ba3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This red cover is over the positive terminal. Pull back on a much easier release catch (just at top above red plastic cover) and it hinges forward to reveal the metal positive terminal. IMG_3085.thumb.jpg.bb9e98a9cacacab9aa82f03b204e4ff5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now you can see the cover hinged forward to reveal the metal positive terminal where you attach the red crocodile clip. 

IMG_3086.thumb.jpg.238588e64b00cee7c62d26c670987cd0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now connect the NOCO. Red crocodile clip to shown positive terminal and the black clip to any unpainted metal part of the engine bay. I use one of the bolts above the suspension. See photo. Make sure the teeth of the clips are firmly in place. 

IMG_3087.thumb.jpg.d078d3072c7c4283b726f88234462f4c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Finally, a photo showing the NOCO booster and the leads going to the terminals. 
It now is simply a case of pressing the 'On' button on the NOCO (top of booster, on a light grey background), getting in the car, making sure it's in "P", holding foot on brake and pressing the "Start" button as normal. Your car should now burst into life. 
You can now go back to the engine bay, press the button to switch off the NOCO and remove the black and then red clips. 

IMG_3088.thumb.jpg.3fab9a3b0b782df40cbed7de4f8a2c01.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

@AIJ: Thank you- this is fantastic. Can you please mention:

1. When you put the charger - what is the order of fixing crocodile clips
  2. When you remove the charger- what is the order of removal of clips
  3. I am assuming this will also apply to all Toyota hybrids where the Battery is not under the bonnet (like 2 litre CHR, Corolla etc where the Battery is in the boot)

Many thanks

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

@AIJ: Thank you- this is fantastic. Can you please mention:

1. When you put the charger - what is the order of fixing crocodile clips
  2. When you remove the charger- what is the order of removal of clips
  3. I am assuming this will also apply to all Toyota hybrids where the battery is not under the bonnet (like 2 litre CHR, Corolla etc where the battery is in the boot)

Many thanks

5 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

1. +, 2. - 

Yes, what Roy said. 👍
Connect red positive first and then the black negative
I did mention the disconnect. It's the reverse process, so black first, then red
To be honest, it shouldn't matter, as you switch off the NOCO before disconnecting, so it's no longer providing any power. That said, it's best to learn the correct order so you can safely jump start any vehicle. 😊

• Like 3

@Spo2 Sorry, I missed a bit. Yeah, this will apply to any car where the Battery is hidden away in the boot, under the rear seat, or wherever. You'd just need to look up in the manual, the location of the positive terminal under the bonnet but I think in the fuse box is typical. 

• Like 1

Thanks @AIJ for the perfect guide. I had pretty much worked all that out, but it is great to have it confirmed with photos.

It is worth noting that the newer Noco GBX models have a power saving feature which means you have to press the Start button within 60 seconds of pressing the booster's On button.

This also means the Noco may have auto powered off when you go back to it, so don't accidentally turn it back on before disconnecting!

• Like 2