Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

That 12v battery (again!)

AlJ

it a totally different system you need to follow the mm17/19 instructions for the service menu - if this is in regard to your other thread no you can't mute it just turn the volume down before getting out of the car, more than likely it's buried in a menu

• Thanks 1

A quick look at the manual, press and hold the home button for 1.5-2 seconds to mute and turn off the display or a long press of the mode button to mute//unmute

• Thanks 1

Yeah that’s exactly what I did. Turning off the display and muting the audio is fine. The question is what to do next to access the hidden service screens on the Smart Connect system.

• Thanks 1

I have a calcium Battery 12 volts type EFB fitted to my car its only rated at 4.3 AH

its small recharging it now via a solar panel 12 volts 20 watts.

I have incloded a file with charging via daylight as it will give some charge without a bright sun see file.

IMG_0287.PNG

Jun 03 2022 - did you drive that day?
or did you not drive anywhere that day?

or did you have a solar panel plugged in that day?

very good car Battery voltage in the morning - I mean 12.6V

I have these measured values on a 20W solar panel :

solar.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the delay in replying to you.

Yes I was not driving that day.

I have posted a graph of 3 stops with a 10 mile trip round trip.

On 6/14/2022 at 9:23 PM, IT Troll said:

Yeah that’s exactly what I did. Turning off the display and muting the audio is fine. The question is what to do next to access the hidden service screens on the Smart Connect system.

Dont know if it helps but can you cycle through the menue on the steering wheel using the MODE button as I can but its a diffrent radio set up but it chooses radio bands, usb and of corse off.

Its worth a look!.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:40 PM, Max_Headroom said:

Thanks again Tony, its a whole new world of driving. 😄

I hate shopping with a vengeance as we have to drive to the next town (9 miles)  i then wait while the wife does the supermarket shop as i hate the places i then load the car when she gets back so so i could sit in ready mode no problem, if i sat with the heater on in winter with the engine running would the 12v battery still get a charge?

I have a Battery tip for you. If you wash the car leave it in "ready mode", it'll charge up nicely as you wash it.

I use mine a couple of times a week and haven't had a Battery issue yet. Having said that though, if i do a couple of short journies i will often leave it in "ready" mode for 45 mins or so in order to replenish.

On 6/14/2022 at 10:47 PM, Derek.w said:

I have a calcium battery 12 volts type EFB fitted to my car its only rated at 4.3 AH

IMG_0287.PNG

surely this Battery has 4.3 Ah?
is not it a mistake ?

9 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I have posted a graph of 3 stops with a 10 mile trip round trip.

2x 10 miles and total travel time about 6 hours?
wau

The essential thing is breaking both the habit of a life time and Highway Code advice.apart from when you park and actually leave the car.

Don't switch off when you stop. 

• Like 2

Yes its a mistake decimal point in wrong place.

I am only gessing about the amphour of the Battery 35 to 45 amphours  its not stated on Battery or my car manual.

Note a replacment with increased specifcation look like

Yuasa HSB202 Part no YBX5202  45AH cca 440 amp.

3 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

……Note a replacment with increased specifcation look like

Yuasa HSB202 Part no YBX5202  45AH cca 440 amp.

Why the requirement for an ‘improved  cca’ ?
The Hybrid.battery doesn’t do any ‘cold cranking’, it’s merely to boot up the computer surely ?

cold cranking its a manufacturing specifcation other cars still have a normal electric starter.

Plus you have a electric handbrake so you have a type of cca specifcation regardless of not having a electric 12 volt starter motor.

IE maxium  current on starting up are on any car but as Battery ages you have a larger reserve to draw from as cca drops away.

Thats how I look at it.

I started charging with a CTEC MXS 3.8 every other day.

I only use it every other day but you soon still get sick of it.

so changed over to solar charging now the CTEK unit is redundent but this may change when we into winter.

Note I was chargint it in car mode but later relised maxium charge current is 2 amps not 3.8 amps.

So mayby is should be in bike mode?.

For a regime where you charge every couple of days, no bad thing in winter, it is well worthwhile wiring the charging cable to the Battery and having the plug easily accessible. 

For an engine bay Battery, ensure the socket is weatherproof. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 11:00 PM, Derek.w said:

Plus you have a electric handbrake so you have a type of cca specifcation regardless of not having a electric 12 volt starter motor.

I don't think that electric handbake could be a problem for 12V Battery.  Its motor ( both to activate or deactivate brakes ) always runs when the car is in Ready mode so 12V circuit is powered from DC/DC converter taking energy from hybrid Battery.

• Like 3

Well when my 12 volt Battery was flat the handbrake would not release but you can hear the relays trying to engage it but with the added load from the lights it failed unable to turn lights off without removing fuses & as it was night time I switched off locked car until next day.

After buying a charger for calcium batterys no problem it started when at 80% full.

All 12 volt circuits need to initalise this is your starting load !   ie cca load for the Battery.

On 6/27/2022 at 9:43 AM, RickyC said:

I don't think that electric handbake could be a problem for 12V battery.  Its motor ( both to activate or deactivate brakes ) always runs when the car is in Ready mode so 12V circuit is powered from DC/DC converter taking energy from hybrid battery.

It your 12 volt Battery fails to initilise its start up procedures then your DC/DC converter wont switch on so no charging from high voltage Battery.

Or put it another way your 12 volt is in charge of your high voltage Battery!.

On 4/11/2022 at 1:01 PM, AlJ said:

Finally, a photo showing the NOCO booster and the leads going to the terminals. 
It now is simply a case of pressing the 'On' button on the NOCO (top of booster, on a light grey background), getting in the car, making sure it's in "P", holding foot on brake and pressing the "Start" button as normal. Your car should now burst into life. 
You can now go back to the engine bay, press the button to switch off the NOCO and remove the black and then red clips. 

IMG_3088.thumb.jpg.3fab9a3b0b782df40cbed7de4f8a2c01.jpg

I am not keen on regular use of a Battery booster.

I prefer using a smart charger for gel or calcium Battery but for the last two month or more I

have changed over to usung a solar panel.

12 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I am not keen on regular use of a battery booster.

I prefer using a smart charger for gel or calcium battery but for the last two month or more I

Did you just attach the CTEK comfort adaptor to a solar panel? Would be interested to see pictures.

22 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I am not keen on regular use of a battery booster.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting “regular use of a Battery booster”.

However, having needed to use one, my preferred option would be to use ‘ready mode’ use to keep the Battery topped up if my usage was insufficient on its own.

22 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I prefer using a smart charger for gel or calcium battery but for the last two month or more I

11 hours ago, Graham47 said:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting “regular use of a battery booster”.

However, having needed to use one, my preferred option would be to use ‘ready mode’ use to keep the battery topped up if my usage was insufficient on its own.

I think regular use has definitely been suggested.  You could ask why they are not fitted as standard or even options.  Many many years ago Ford marketed a permanent charger.  It was the same shape and size of the coil and probably used the same case. 

I think some sources suggest using CTEK fortnightly or monthly. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links