Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Real world mpg Yaris cross

drobb

343 miles from full tank took 26.01 litres.... This equates to 60mpg..... Trip computer says 63.5 mpg

1. This shows trip computer is pretty accurate

2. Think this is excellent considering usage was 280 miles of m25 a303 a30 to Cornwall, the rest driving up and down coast roads on North Cornish coast 

👍👍

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That is great economy. What speed did you sit at on the motorway?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drobb said:

70 ish

That’s a good numbers. How does the car feel at motor speeds, is it quiet and refined? What do you think about wind and tyre noise? Comfort levels going over potholes and bumps? 
Thanks 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s a good numbers. How does the car feel at motor speeds, is it quiet and refined? What do you think about wind and tyre noise? Comfort levels going over potholes and bumps? 
Thanks 

It all seems pretty refined to me... There's a concrete section on m25 down near Guildford which was horrendous in our fiesta titanium.... Seems much better in Yaris even with 18 inch wheels

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drobb said:

It all seems pretty refined to me... There's a concrete section on m25 down near Guildford which was horrendous in our fiesta titanium.... Seems much better in Yaris even with 18 inch wheels

Thanks 🙏 I know that section of the motorway there, can make you even stop to check all tyres are ok 😂 

• Like 1

Did you find it to have enough responsiveness at those speeds for lane change manoeuvres?

Coming from a 2 litre manual I am slightly concerned about a 1.5 auto on the motorway. During my test drive I only managed a short burst on a dual carriageway so couldn't really assess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IT Troll said:

Did you find it to have enough responsiveness at those speeds for lane change manoeuvres?

Coming from a 2 litre manual I am slightly concerned about a 1.5 auto on the motorway. During my test drive I only managed a short burst on a dual carriageway so couldn't really assess.

Yep.... Subjective, but seems ok to me..... Obviously no performance car though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find as long as the Battery has good charge my Mk4 will still deliver very good burst acceleration even at high motorway speeds. The engine will ramp up like you've downshifted to 3rd tho' - That 3-pot can get a bit raucous when it spins up but whether that's annoying or not is down to individual tastes (I personally love it :laugh: grrrrrrRRRR! and then lift off and it's quiet as a mouse again :laugh: )

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I filled my Yaris cross up with fuel on the day I picked it up and noted the milage, I have just filled it again after doing 297 miles and it took 18.25 litres the total average was showing 70.9 which I was very happy with but the maths indicate a little more. I will check again after next fill up, same pump and only filling to first knock off. This was driving around town and country lanes, no motorway as yet.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Peachysheff said:

I filled my Yaris cross up with fuel on the day I picked it up and noted the milage, I have just filled it again after doing 297 miles and it took 18.25 litres the total average was showing 70.9 which I was very happy with but the maths indicate a little more. I will check again after next fill up, same pump and only filling to first knock off. This was driving around town and country lanes, no motorway as yet.

That is super impressive! 

11 hours ago, Peachysheff said:

I have just filled it again after doing 297 miles and it took 18.25 litres

= 73.98 mpg

• Like 2

I have just had a 'summer' mileage boost of about 6 mpg.  Hopefully when we get out Cross we will get your economy. 

• Like 1

Motorways will definitely kill the mpg if you drive over 60mph which is something unavoidable as all other drivers and especially the lorries and buses are pushing so much. When driving on A and B roads relaxing style with no traffic to keep up even my old Auris shows great mpg results and greetings on dashboard as excellent efficiency 😉 , mostly well over 60’s mpg. Once I go on the motorway and drive as usual (smooth and safe , always within speed limits) the mpg drops to around 50’s and I am getting high 50 to low 60mpg an average this time of the year. I am not really sure if I have later model Corolla, Prius or any Yaris it will achieve much better mpg than what I am getting now due to my driving needs. I also wonder what mpg I would get if I have a larger hybrid like ES300h or Camry with 2.5 engines or UX250h with 2.0? Anyone had experience with these and likes to share I will highly appreciate it. Thanks 👍

• Like 1

Tony, supporting your figures, we did a 200 mile motorway journey, 200 miles, 47 mph with ACC set at 55 (50 true) and got 75 mpg. 

This was Easter Saturday with slow traffic only on the M25.  There were practically no trucks. 

You might say this is not real world conditions 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm finding the Mk4 surprisingly efficient even at high speeds; The thing that kills it is acceleration. I reckon I would have been on for a tank average of near 80 if I didn't keep caning it down on-ramps to merge onto the motorway :whistling: (But it's sooo fuuunnnn :naughty:  )

But I've had it cruising at 70mph for a stretch with very little reduction in the tank average as it can just about hold it with 1-2 blocks into Eco+ where the engine is running, but at the 41% 2000rpm efficiency band that the car almost rabidly tries to stay in (Not always; At those speeds it gets very sensitive to wind, gradient etc. and even a gentle press can send the engine north of 3000rpm and into the Power band!)

I tend to cruise at 63mph or 59mph depending on what it's like around me, but the easiest way to goose up the mpg is to set the ACC to medium distance and follow a lorry :laugh: 

Effortless with the auto-steer enabled too - Takes a lot of the tedium out of a long motorway run.

Even on country roads the car is great as the constant acceleration and deceleration gives the hybrid system more opportunities to scavenge energy, and unlike the motorway gives the steering wheel something to do too :laugh: 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Motorways will definitely kill the mpg if you drive over 60mph which is something unavoidable as all other drivers and especially the lorries and buses are pushing so much. When driving on A and B roads relaxing style with no traffic to keep up even my old Auris shows great mpg results and greetings on dashboard as excellent efficiency 😉 , mostly well over 60’s mpg. Once I go on the motorway and drive as usual (smooth and safe , always within speed limits) the mpg drops to around 50’s and I am getting high 50 to low 60mpg an average this time of the year. I am not really sure if I have later model Corolla, Prius or any Yaris it will achieve much better mpg than what I am getting now due to my driving needs. I also wonder what mpg I would get if I have a larger hybrid like ES300h or Camry with 2.5 engines or UX250h with 2.0? Anyone had experience with these and likes to share I will highly appreciate it. Thanks 👍

Check Honest John Real mpg.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I'm finding the Mk4 surprisingly efficient even at high speeds; The thing that kills it is acceleration. I reckon I would have been on for a tank average of near 80 if I didn't keep caning it down on-ramps to merge onto the motorway :whistling: (But it's sooo fuuunnnn :naughty:  )

But I've had it cruising at 70mph for a stretch with very little reduction in the tank average as it can just about hold it with 1-2 blocks into Eco+ where the engine is running, but at the 41% 2000rpm efficiency band that the car almost rabidly tries to stay in (Not always; At those speeds it gets very sensitive to wind, gradient etc. and even a gentle press can send the engine north of 3000rpm and into the Power band!)

I tend to cruise at 63mph or 59mph depending on what it's like around me, but the easiest way to goose up the mpg is to set the ACC to medium distance and follow a lorry :laugh: 

Effortless with the auto-steer enabled too - Takes a lot of the tedium out of a long motorway run.

Even on country roads the car is great as the constant acceleration and deceleration gives the hybrid system more opportunities to scavenge energy, and unlike the motorway gives the steering wheel something to do too :laugh: 

Do you think the 3 cylinder engine will survive 250-300k miles use? Checking cars again Yaris cross seems like most available new car plus my new 16” wheels fit perfectly this model 😉 Just for general information, I really hope not buying another car in the next two years or so. 🙂

Our overall average since we got the car in December is 58mpg. Lots of short local runs on A/B type roads and many hills, couple of motorway trips to Madrid in there as well with cruise control set to 120kph.

Coming over to UK next month, arriving Plymouth with stops in Cornwall, Bristol, Norfolk and Leeds before returning to Plymouth so should be a good test.

19 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Do you think the 3 cylinder engine will survive 250-300k miles use? Checking cars again Yaris cross seems like most available new car plus my new 16” wheels fit perfectly this model 😉 Just for general information, I really hope not buying another car in the next two years or so. 🙂

Couldn't say with any authority TBH - Never had a car run even close to such mileages! The longest running car I had was that old Mk1 D4D which just broke through into 100K before KHAAAAN! forced me to get rid of it.

I'd say the odds are pretty good tho - If I'm not pushing it, it's actually the lowest revving car on the motorway I have owned - The Mk1 D4D and Mk2 1.33 would both be over 2000rpm at 60mph on the motorway whereas once you settle down to a steady cruise at the same speed this is usually stuck at exactly 2000rpm.

It is very peaky when you accelerate, but as soon as you settle down to a constant speed cruise it tries to run as at close to 2000rpm as it can - Even at 70mph where my D4D would have been nearly 3000 it'll be doing maybe 2200rpm (Not up a hill tho', it usually starts revving up and pulling on MG2 to maintain CC speed on hills depending on steepness!)

Its tendency for low-RPM combined with the fact it's not running half the time anyway because it can switch to MG2 mean the engine will have much less running wear and a much easier life than a normal ICE.

It's tricky tho' as the M15A is a relatively new engine and we don't know if it has any common long-term issues yet! One good thing is it's port-injection only so shouldn't have any intake valve issues, but I'm told it does have a GPF, and any kind of particulate filter is a major source of potential engine trouble (They are literally the biggest thing to cripple the formerly bullet-proof reliability diesel engines had a reputation for)

• Thanks 1

Just returned home after 3 days in North Wales. The journey from Barnsley South Yorks round trip was approx 340 miles on M ways and mixed A and B roads and the Yaris Cross averaged 70 mpg. which I thought was very good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links