Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air control valve and effect on high idle speed

Mike Newman

My Carina has recently during starts from cold, starts OK then , cuts out unless I press the accel pedal and run it fast for a while (about a minute) .After about quarter of a mile it runs normal but the idle seems high. Is this due to a sticking air control valve. ? 

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Shouting removed.

• 1 month later...

On 4/1/2022 at 9:02 PM, Mike Newman said:

My Carina has recently during starts from cold, starts OK then , cuts out unless I press the accel pedal and run it fast for a while (about a minute) .After about quarter of a mile it runs normal but the idle seems high. Is this due to a sticking air control valve. ? 

Update on the above problem. The high idle speed changed in that it settled, but another problem occurred of the engine cutting out after start unless i put foot on throttle. This problem continued so had to keep foot on throttle when slowing down to a stop. However I  checked all the vacuum hoses and they appeared ok. i was advised by the guy who has been doing my servicing for 20 years to give the car a couple of blasts down the local bypass. Really accelerating fast. (Unusual for me) The problem has gone away , car starts and runs ok without any throttle. Idles normal runs normal.

Sounds like the old 'Italian Tune Up'. A couple of times around the block in 1st and 2nd using all the revs.

I once worked with someone who (and this is most unusual for a field service engineer back in the day) used to drive very slowly and gently. We had Astra's back then and he broke down one time. The garage said the problem was the engine and exhaust was chocked full of soot from super slow driving.  

• Like 1

Engines, like Humans, are healthier when they've been worked hard and hot ; ) :naughty: 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links