Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BG EV charging point - more bother than it’s worth?

Flatcoat

After a 3 month saga of delays to get one installed, it doesn’t work. It was fine when checked after installation on Wednesday, came to charge the car yesterday and it will not. No one available at BG or Hive until Monday. Good job I still can use the granny charger but an EV owner would be stuffed. It simply shouldn’t be this difficult. 

It's interesting that Toyota have extended the free charger offer until June. 

I imagine there will be quite a few people in your boat before long!

I had an initial problem with mine too. Took about 10 days to resolve. 

Given how busy they were I just left them to it. And fair to say they always came back to me without prompting. No big deal as, like you, I could use the Granny Cable. They were always polite and extremely apologetic over the delays - never mentioning the undoubted pressure they were under given the looming 31st March deadline.

Only when prompted by me did they confirm that, yes, they were struggling with the sheer volume of installations and unfortunately a few were not right after initial fitment.

Grateful to have the FOC install.

Hey, life's too short........

2 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

I had an initial problem with mine too. Took about 10 days to resolve. 

Given how busy they were I just left them to it. And fair to say they always came back to me without prompting. No big deal as, like you, I could use the Granny Cable. They were always polite and extremely apologetic over the delays - never mentioning the undoubted pressure they were under given the looming 31st March deadline.

Only when prompted by me did they confirm that, yes, they were struggling with the sheer volume of installations and unfortunately a few were not right after initial fitment.

Grateful to have the FOC install.

Hey, life's too short........

I get that and appreciate Covid isn’t helping either but it doesn’t ease the frustration. 

• Like 1

It isn't always the EVSE.  I had a problem, which turned out to be that the Type 2 socket on the EVSE required one of the pins of the cable plug to project more than it did.  I could not discover what the design spec for that parameter is, so I can't say whether plug or socket is at fault, but I was able to open the plug and "engineer" a greater projection, and haven't had a problem since.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 1:22 PM, duncerduncs said:

It's interesting that Toyota have extended the free charger offer until June.

Hi Bryan

Where did you hear/see that please?

I've yet to test mine, as I haven't got my car yet, but there was one thing that the installers explained to me about the system that could explain your problem.  That is the Matt:e box that is fitted between the supply meter and the wall charger.  This cuts off power to the wall charger if there is a fault in the neutral cable, too much power is being drawn elsewhere in the house or if the supply voltage is too high or too low.

The voltage issue is determined by the grid and depends on supply and demand in your area, so there is nothing that you can do, if that is the issue.  You can test whether this is the cause by measuring your supply voltage or simply switching the Matt:e box off and on again.  Listen to hear if it clicks the power back off and / or displays a red or orange LED instead of green.

As far as I am concerned BG can take the damn thing out. 2 weeks and still not working. Haven’t the patience to faff about checking this that and the other. I am not prepared to be a Guinea pig for rubbish technology. 

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

As far as I am concerned BG can take the damn thing out. 2 weeks and still not working. Haven’t the patience to faff about checking this that and the other. I am not prepared to be a Guinea pig for rubbish technology. 

BG is suffering because they got rid of to many engineers, plus loads of calls from people who are struggling with the new gas tariffs.

It sounds like you have had one that’s failed, it’s still in warranty and it will get fixed, I can understand your frustration but unfortunately it’s just the way thing are these days.

After all its been fitted FOC.

• Like 1

I’ve just been offered a charger (company car, thought we’d missed the deadline etc.). 

Does anyone know how long the initial contact takes from the dealership sending off info?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Roger_N said:

BG is suffering because they got rid of to many engineers, plus loads of calls from people who are struggling with the new gas tariffs.

It sounds like you have had one that’s failed, it’s still in warranty and it will get fixed, I can understand your frustration but unfortunately it’s just the way thing are these days.

Your comment about BG suffering after the hire and fire of their engineers is certainly true but they were in trouble even before that as many who had the Home Care agreement that were left without heating an hot water for days and sometimes weeks can attest to.

40 minutes ago, Bcc212 said:

I’ve just been offered a charger (company car, thought we’d missed the deadline etc.). 

Does anyone know how long the initial contact takes from the dealership sending off info?

Thanks!

I didn't get any communication directly from Toyota and had to ask my dealer about the free wall charger after reading about it on the forum.  Even then, the dealer only gave me a link to the pay-for-it service, not the free installation.  Again, I got the actual link on the forum and so I hope that noone comes back in a few weeks / months time and says that I did it wrong and asks for some cash!

Haha! My dealer just sent me a link, it said free with vehicle incentive, or similar. 

I also don’t want to be paying for it! However, from what I gather you receive a final quote before installation.

9 hours ago, Roger_N said:

FOC is not true, we all pay through green levies and taxation. Whether it is under warranty or not doesn’t change the failure of the unit I have told BG if it isn’t fixed by end if next they will remove it. 

Quote:

The offer is limited to private customers purchasing a plug-in hybrid or electric vehicle ordered between 1st April - 30th June 2022 and registered between 1st April - 30th September 2022.

3 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

FOC is not true, we all pay through green levies and taxation. Whether it is under warranty or not doesn’t change the failure of the unit I have told BG if it isn’t fixed by end if next they will remove it. 

Yes we all pay that way but there was no direct charge for the install and box.

12 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

I don't think you're alone, just look at the forums or Facebook groups of the various manufacturers. Thankfully the one I got has been solid and the customer service is excellent (the CEO is a regular contributor on the owners Facebook group).

These things should just work. After all, they are only a power outlet! Ok, there's a bit of safety kit involved but most of the faults are with the "smart" technology and people want more and more features.

You only need to look at all the public chargers around that are out of service to know how temperamental they can be.

BG have contacted me to arrange survey by local engineer some 2 weeks after dealer sent request. They were ready to come next week however I'm away, so arranged for my return.Had to then change date again and they were very polite and helpful even when I apologised for messing them around the guy said no you are the customer. My point is purely that there are some good people trying to a good job at BG and they are BG as much as those who, in senior roles, have screwed up. This 'Free' charger is costing £350 - I guess that's the gov't contribution as was.

2 hours ago, nlee said:

I don't think you're alone, just look at the forums or Facebook groups of the various manufacturers. Thankfully the one I got has been solid and the customer service is excellent (the CEO is a regular contributor on the owners Facebook group).

These things should just work. After all, they are only a power outlet! Ok, there's a bit of safety kit involved but most of the faults are with the "smart" technology and people want more and more features.

You only need to look at all the public chargers around that are out of service to know how temperamental they can be.

I agree the technology is not that complex. What is the benefit when my £50 outdoor socket works and the purpose made charger probably costing over £1000 is rubbish? It is becoming technology for the sake of it. Sometimes Less is more

I have some sympathy with that view.  My absolutely basic EVSE (the only control is a rotary switch to vary the charging current) just works.  I don't need the bells and whistles.

If anyone is interested, it's a QUBEV.  I gather current production has an internal dip switch setting, instead of the rotary control.

1 hour ago, IanML said:

I have some sympathy with that view.  My absolutely basic EVSE (the only control is a rotary switch to vary the charging current) just works.  I don't need the bells and whistles.

If anyone is interested, it's a QUBEV.  I gather current production has an internal dip switch setting, instead of the rotary control.

Did you self-install the QUBEV?

Yes.  I was lucky to find that my consumer unit had a free double width space to take the required RCBO, so the installation was straightforward.  I did not want to mess around with an earthing rod, so I wired via a Matt:e box, which detects earth faults and opens the circuit as required.

• Thanks 1

How is the Matt:E box? I can see the alfen charger that BG supply requires one. I’ve heard that they hum?

The box works perfectly (but I haven't created an earth fault to test it!).  You just hear the relay click when it powers up.  I haven't heard a hum.  Maybe the mounting has an effect?  Mine is firmly screwed to a massive wooden garage door frame (mounted inside the garage).

QUBEV.JPG