Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jump Starting A Corolla Hybrid

dannyboy413

With the recent discussions of flat 12v batteries, I started to think, (dangerous!). I only picked up the new car last week and had the same make and model for the previous two years without a single problem. But I was wondering, if I did go to the car one day, (I will be leaving it alone for a week next month, but it does get at least 2 x 20 mile trips per day Monday to Friday), and found it would not start due to a flat Battery, would I connect a jump starter just like I would have done in the old days, you know, before hybrids? I have a Halfords jump starter/tyre compressor, a bit like this one -

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/battery-maintenance/jump-starters/halfords-6-in-1-jump-starter-power-pack-654898.html

Edited by dannyboy413
Added a bit.
  • Like 1

Not sure if this would work. When my corolla's 12v Battery went flat (due to the dash cam freezing and I hadn't noticed) I had tried to jump start using jump leads, car wouldn't start, had to wait for juice to be put back into the Battery (about 5-10 mins) before the car would switch on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It depends on the jump start pack. I have an older model Halfords jumper pack. Mine has to detect at least 2v on the main leads before it switches on and can start the vehicle (a safety feature to prevent shorting if the cables are accidentally touched). It wouldn't work on my C-HR on the one occasion I needed it as there was no voltage from the car to trigger the jumper pack.

I used a small 12v Battery, which gave me enough power to get the car into Ready mode where the Hybrid Battery could charge the 12v Battery.

So, to summarise, if your jumper pack has a safety feature built in, it may not work if you 12v car battery is dead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DavidTC said:

Not sure if this would work. When my corolla's 12v battery went flat (due to the dash cam freezing and I hadn't noticed) I had tried to jump start using jump leads, car wouldn't start, had to wait for juice to be put back into the battery (about 5-10 mins) before the car would switch on

I used a very small Li Battery pack.  It was not able to do an instant start.  The 12v Battery was at 3.8v, the Battery pack was able to energise the system after a few minutes, no more than 5.

• Thanks 1

Out of curiosity, are you guys using the [+] tab in the engine bay fusebox or jumping using the Battery terminals?

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Out of curiosity, are you guys using the [+] tab in the engine bay fusebox or jumping using the battery terminals?

Good question Cyker - never thought of that aspect.

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Out of curiosity, are you guys using the [+] tab in the engine bay fusebox or jumping using the battery terminals?

Refer to the owners manual. Toyota describes the correct way to do - i checked for CHR as the process varies on the location of 12v Battery

Sorry I wasn't asking how to do it, I was asking how you lot are doing it :laugh: 

I'm wondering if there's any correlation with those of you who are having to wait and charge the Battery before being able to go into Ready mode are using the tab or jumping the Battery directly.

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

I used the Battery terminals, didn't occur to me to go and read the manual to find out the proper procedure at the time.

I just wanted to drive the car 🤣

• Like 1

I used the Battery terminals.  I think that is correct for the 1.8.  I have not found a positive tab to which I can clip the jumper. 

My Merc had a separate Positive box with a pillar to connect the positive lead. Much better than opening a fuse box with all those fuses. 

• Like 1

Ah was just curious - IIRC the 1.8 and 2.0 Corollas have the 12v Battery in different places so I assume the 1.8 has the 12v in the engine bay so the [+] tab wouldn't apply to those now that I think about it...

• Like 1

On my 1.8 Corolla I would connect it just like a Battery charger i.e. red to the positive terminal and black to the lug on the engine block (or any earth point away from the battery).

• Like 3

Regarding connection of the negative away from the Battery, what is the reason for that? 

PS, just ready it is in case of a spark near the Battery.  I can understand the risk with car to car connections.  With my charger or jump pack I make the connection when the are powered off.  And power off before disconnecting. 

2 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Regarding connection of the negative away from the battery, what is the reason for that? 

That’s from ancient times where Battery were slightly different chemistry and were prone to discharge gasses while been charged there for when connecting or disconnecting a cable to the Battery terminal and a spark happened to minimise the risk of igniting the gases., fire risk 🔋🔥🧯

I thought it was because if you connected directly to the Battery you would be by-passing the Battery management system.

• Like 2

I always connect negative to an earth point on the car, rather than the Battery negative. Positive gets connected to positive on the Battery.

• Like 3

Forgot to add that on the hybrid I connect negative to an earth point on the car, and positive to the + terminal in the fuse box (my Battery is in the boot)

TONYHSD, that was my understanding, mucky things, clean the top, unscrew and clean the plugs, use a bulb affair to top up the water to just above the plates, connect charger and watch the electrolyte bubble. 

I never smoked though so that was one less thing to worry about. 

Regarding an earth point on the car, in my Corolla the most accessible point is the Battery.  The Toyota bare metal earth bits are more difficult to reach. 

• Like 1

After going through the manual for the 1.8, the positive is connected to the Battery terminal and the negative should be clipped to the bare metallic block on the engine just above the dip stick

• Like 2

David, no doubt true but the short CTEK lead for charging or the Battery jump starter leads are generally too short. 

If you are using car to car jump leads then that is quite different. The clips on mine were massive and could have been easy to touch that which the ought not. 

I have obviously just been looking at the same manual as DavidTC as that is exactly what my manual says, although it seems to be talking about car to car jump starting. I am presuming if using a Battery pack, I would connect the Battery pack to positive and negative and would I then immediately try and start my car, or wait a bit for power to 'float' across to my Battery?  It might seem like a bit of a daft question, but it must be 30+ years since I have had a flat battery and have never had to start a car this way.

I think connecting to the Battery terminals to charge the Battery will be fine. 

You'll have to wait for the Battery to have sufficient charge before the car will be able to complete it's start up.

• Thanks 1

The leads on a CETK charger are indeed too short to connect to the positive terminal and the connection point above the dipstick but I connect to a smaller lug about half way along the engine block that is just reachable.  It doesn't matter where on the engine block you connect to, it is a big piece of metal so it is all the same electrically.

If the CTEK leads are bolted to the engine I believe there is a negligible chance of sparks. 

I'd always use the Battery + terminal OR + jump start point if the Battery isn't easily got at & a nice solid metal earth point on the engine block.

Also works on Toyota IC counter balance forklifts when people forget to switch the headlights off 🙄

Jump pack + direct on the Battery terminal & - on the engine bracket soon gets them started again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links