Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spanners for brake and clutch bleeding

BlueMax

2004 Toyota Corolla 2.0 D-4D T Spirit [116ps] (CDE120)

What are the spanner sizes for brake and clutch bleed nipples?

Thanks!

They tend to be either 11mm or 8mm. I don't have specific info on your car, that's just general experience from working on a variety of vehicles over the years. Nothing exotic required.

• Like 1

The nipples on my Avensis are 10mm. I would expect yours to be the same. 

• Like 2

M8 on our 1.6.

Give the nipples a spray of penetrating fluid first as they can seize.

Have you cleaned and lubricated your caliper slider bolts, a regular service check item.

• Like 1

use a proper brake line spanner aka a flare nut spanner, not an open-ended spanner as you will round the fitting off

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, flash22 said:

use a proper brake line spanner aka a flare nut spanner, not an open-ended spanner as you will round the fitting off

Better still, crack them with a six point socket.  Once they are cracked open any spanner will do.  There's no need to use a brake line spanner on a nipple.

• Like 1

[I see I have just been by beaten by Stivino to this..., oh well, I've written it now.]

As above, I have a flare nut spanner but usually forget that I own one.

I have an idea that I used a decent hex 1/4 drive socket on some dodgy Corolla (2001) nipples initially.

With the relevant short tommy bar, gently used to release-tighten-release-tighten etc., I was able to undo bleed nipples that the local Toyota dealer were reluctant to do (for fear of snapping them off).  Obviously, beyond this, a socket is no further use in bleeding.

Putting the above-mentioned penetrating fluid on the day beforehand, might help.

• Like 3

Ring end of a combi spanner is what I normally use. Fit it before attaching the pipe, obviously. Gives you a nice 'tap handle,' to quickly flick between open and closed. 😊

• Like 1