Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12 V socket and solar trickle charger

Spo2

Hi all

The 12v socket in C-HR :

1. Is it live after the car is off and locked? 

2. Is there a time delay function which makes it off later? 

Was thinking about a solar Battery maintainer via 12v socket. Any recommendations for a litre CHR which has Battery in the boot? 

AFAIK most cars do not have a live 12v socket.  They probably had a permanently live socket when they were used as cigar lighters. 

Last car I knew of with a live 12v socket was a Ford. 

Permanently live might work on some situations such as phone charging but could risk a flat Battery on others. 

The C-HR socket is "Live" when the ignition is on. As soon as the car is switched off the socket power is switched off. No time delay as far as I recall.

Thanks @Big_Dand @Roy124. So it seem i will have to go with one with OBD connector. Is that port easily accessible inside the car?

Secondly, is there a difference between solar Battery maintainer or trickle charger? 

Although I've not had the need to charge my Battery, I've been meaning to run a cable directly from the Battery to allow me to plug in either a trickle charger or a solar charger.

When I do get to go abroad again, I'll leave a solar charger on the rear parcel shelf connected to the pre-wired lead to the Battery.

I did this to my daughters first car, which was a keyless entry Nissan Micra. The battery went dead and we couldn't get into the car. Luckily I had pre-wired a charging cable to the battery and was able to plug in a charger. This charged the battery enough to allow us entry to the car.

tamiya_connector.jpg

sae_connector.jpg

Thanks @Spo2.

It probably would, but I already have a couple of chargers and they're fitted with the white Tamiya connectors shown above. I use these to keep all my vehicles charged. All my cars and bikes are fitted with a lead, hardwired to the Battery, to allow easy charging. This way. I can charge a number of different cars, bikes, and even my spare 12v batteries with the same chargers.

The solar charger will double as a charger for the Battery which powers the alarm in the shed and can be used to keep the C-HR Battery charged when I leave the car at the airport etc.

So, in my case, this setup works for me.

• Thanks 1

Several of the lads at the garage have fitted similar hidden Battery charging sockets on to there motorbikes so they can plug an Optimate charger in during storage periods ( winter being one long period ) 

Means the security systems stays active & plus doesn't ruin the Battery.

• Like 2

This is how it started for me too. Now all the cars and bikes in the family have these fitted

• Like 1

Every bike I've ever owned has had one fitted. As soon as I get the bike back in the garage, it gets plugged into its umbilical. It keeps the Battery properly conditioned. A 2005 Triumph Rocket I had was still using its original Battery when I sold it in 2020.

• Like 2

I can relate to that. The Battery on my bike is about 14 years old and it still starts without any problems.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 9:10 PM, Spo2 said:

Hi all

The 12v socket in C-HR :

1. Is it live after the car is off and locked? 

2. Is there a time delay function which makes it off later? 

Was thinking about a solar battery maintainer via 12v socket. Any recommendations for a litre CHR which has battery in the boot? 

Our solar charger bought from Toyota dealer goes into the diagnostic port under the steering wheel (would use this while on holiday if car is parked up).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/21/2022 at 8:59 AM, JillG said:

Our solar charger bought from Toyota dealer goes into the diagnostic port under the steering wheel (would use this while on holiday if car is parked up).

I received  my car today and I did not know about the Battery charger before.

1)_Which Toyota dealer was this ?

2)_And do I need to put the charger daily ?

3) What is the longest time I can leave the car (without driving it) before the Battery gets drained?

2, no

3, piece of string, and you really need to know the shortest time 😊

General experience seems to suggest 14 days but I monitored my Battery daily at one point and while it was fine to day 7 it experienced a sudden decay at day 8.

Several of factors to consider.  Was your last journey an hour or more (good) or a few short trips (poor).  Did you use lots of services at the end of the journey? What is the temperature?  

Crucially has the Battery failed several times previously?  My day 8 failure was the first on that Battery

4, to answer the question you didn't ask, if you use the car at least 2-3 times per week and drive (Ready mode) for at least 30 minutes a week it should not present a problem. 

5, if you go on holiday for a fortnight, you might have a problem. 

A solar charger might be suitable, but you would need to be parked up in the open. 

A small lithium battery pack would enable a jump start. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wez88 said:

I received  my car today and I did not know about the battery charger before.

1)_Which Toyota dealer was this ?

2)_And do I need to put the charger daily ?

3) What is the longest time I can leave the car (without driving it) before the battery gets drained?

Our dealer said 3 days without the solar.  We parked ours for 7 days but it cannot be moved whilst connected. Worked a treat!

Dealer was Inchcape, now Steven Eagell

Thank you Jill G. I Hope I find  the solar charger in my local Toyota dealer. But I wanted to know. Just in case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

2, no

3, piece of string, and you really need to know the shortest time 😊

General experience seems to suggest 14 days but I monitored my battery daily at one point and while it was fine to day 7 it experienced a sudden decay at day 8.

Several of factors to consider.  Was your last journey an hour or more (good) or a few short trips (poor).  Did you use lots of services at the end of the journey? What is the temperature?  

Crucially has the battery failed several times previously?  My day 8 failure was the first on that battery. 

4, to answer the question you didn't ask, if you use the car at least 2-3 times per week and drive (Ready mode) for at least 30 minutes a week it should not present a problem. 

5, if you go on holiday for a fortnight, you might have a problem. 

A solar charger might be suitable, but you would need to be parked up in the open. 

A small lithium battery pack would enable a jump start. 

Okay here is the situation I used to have a Volvo diesel C30 (a total gem and never let me down once )and I had to sell it after 11 years  and get a Hybrid since the ULEz will be expanded. I am a school teacher and my school is like 20 min drive from home ( I live in a flat hence no garage) My worries are

1) . I use the car mainly for work and shopping. So are you suggesting that I should be driving for at least an hour everyday to optimise the Battery

2) school holidays during Xmas Easter and summer  also the half terms( the shorter breaks)  which last  a week. I hardly use the car then. 

I'm a complete novice in hybrids and I was not aware of the effect of long inaction of hybrid  cars on their batteries. 

I just need some enlightenment from you guys. 

A novice female hybrid driver 

Thanks 

9 minutes ago, O.W.L. said:

I saw it too and it's on my wish list. But I wanted to check with you guys. Do you have one yourself  ? If you read the reviews some claim that the charger has an adverse effect on their batteries. I'm a bit hesitant. 

11 minutes ago, Wez88 said:

my school is like 20 min drive from home

You will have absolutely no issues - there is nothing at all to worry about.

Toyota recommend that their hybrids be in Ready mode for 60 minutes per week - and that is pretty conservative, 30 minutes is probably sufficient.

You will be driving 40 minutes per day (in term time), 5 days per week - so 200 minutes per week. Which pretty much guarantees that your auxiliary Battery remains fully charged at all times! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Wez88 said:

I saw it too and it's on my wish list. But I wanted to check with you guys. Do you have one yourself  ? If you read the reviews some claim that the charger has an adverse effect on their batteries. I'm a bit hesitant. 

I was a hybrid newbie too, when I bought the car last December. My car is never garaged, and I use it on average, three times a week, all short journeys of maybe 7 or 8 miles a time. On one occasion it failed to start after leaving it untouched for 4 days.

After advice from this forum I then bought the AA solar charger and plug it in every time I pull onto my drive. It doesn't need sunshine, just daylight. I've not had any problems since.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, philip42h said:

You will have absolutely no issues - there is nothing at all to worry about.

Toyota recommend that their hybrids be in Ready mode for 60 minutes per week - and that is pretty conservative, 30 minutes is probably sufficient.

You will be driving 40 minutes per day (in term time), 5 days per week - so 200 minutes per week. Which pretty much guarantees that your auxiliary battery remains fully charged at all times! 

Thank you. I need to see how to set the car in "ready" mode. I'll check you tube. 🙂

15 minutes ago, Wez88 said:

Thank you. I need to see how to set the car in "ready" mode. I'll check you tube. 🙂

Just put your foot on the brake pedal and press Start - just as you do everyday to start the car ... that part is easy and 'automatic'.

Basically, the auxiliary Battery is charged from the traction Battery while the car is in Ready mode whether or not the car is actually moving. During term time you'll be having more than enough Ready time to keep the auxiliary Battery fully charged.

And that will see you through Christmas, Easter and half-term breaks without you worrying about anything at all. If you really do lay-up the car and go nowhere at all during the long summer holidays you might have a problem after six weeks or so - but if you go shopping and on a road trip or two you will have nothing to worry about.

If you are still concerned, it would be worth investing the smallest possible 'jump-start' pack, charging it up, and knowing how to connect it. I keep telling myself that I should but never quite get around to it. The battery pack doesn't need to be massive (there's no starter motor to power) - just enough to allow the car to go into Ready mode and you are away again.

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone

I just want to say thank you so much for all your input. I'm so overwhelmed by the sheer support and eagerness to help and to put me at ease. I am so lucky to come across this club by coincidence. Rest assured there will be many questions in the future, as I have a complete faith in your integrity and honesty. Thank you again. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links