Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear speakers volume

French Auris

Hi all. 

I have a Toyota auris 2018. 

I upgraded the front and rear Speakers, sounds really good but when I fade out the front Speakers so obviously the rear are at 100% the volume is really low, I mean like maybe 25% of the front Speakers

Is this normal? 

The speakers I used are plug and play so it's not possible for me to get the wire's crossed. 

Thanks 

First thought is to check that the replacement Speakers are of the correct impedance (measured in ohms) and that they also have a similar sensitivity to the originals which is usually quoted as a sound level for 1 watt input. For example 88dB/W. The lower the figure, the quieter the speaker.

10 hours ago, Mooly said:

First thought is to check that the replacement speakers are of the correct impedance (measured in ohms) and that they also have a similar sensitivity to the originals which is usually quoted as a sound level for 1 watt input. For example 88dB/W. The lower the figure, the quieter the speaker.

Thanks, 

They are the same OHMs and they are plug and play so they should the same spec as the factory ones.

The front Speakers are really good with regards the volume.

I have also replaced the original head unit so I am wondering if that is the cause or maybe the loom that came with it, which is also plug and play ie, nothing to cut, it`s all just unplug the old and add the new loom and then the new head unit.

What Speakers have you fitted ?? With it faded all the way to the rear, the soundstage will be in the rear, ergo. it will sound quite from the driver's seat

you don't drive from the back seat, do you ?

A sound stage in a car should be a 60/40 or 70/30 Front to Rear

have you fitted the factory JBL Speakers ?

13 minutes ago, flash22 said:

What speakers have you fitted ?? With it faded all the way to the rear, the soundstage will be in the rear, ergo. it will sound quite from the driver's seat

you don't drive from the back seat, do you ?

A sound stage in a car should be a 60/40 or 70/30 Front to Rear

have you fitted the factory JBL speakers ?

I used Focal TOY 165 Speakers front and back and I added a tweeter with a inline crossovers in the rear door to give it a bit of definition or highs but I can`t see this would give me lower volume on the rears.

As you say, 70/30 or 60/40 maybe it`s just me thinking I should have more from the rears.

So maybe all is correct.

25 minutes ago, French Auris said:

I have also replaced the original head unit so I am wondering if that is the cause

So quite a bit more than just the Speakers have been swapped. Without test and measurement its impossible to say what is happening really.

A very basic check would be to take a front and rear speaker and and alternately feed each from the same signal source and see how they compare for volume level. So that means disconnecting each speaker, running wires from each to an amplifier output and comparing one against the other.

• Thanks 1

What make is the radio ? If it's some no name Chinese piece of junk it will not have enough power to drive the Speakers or do them justice

14 minutes ago, flash22 said:

What make is the radio ? If it's some no name Chinese piece of junk it will not have enough power to drive the speakers or do them justice

It's a Joying head unit, it's more power than the original head unit and has a DSP (equilizer) The sound is so much better. 

33 minutes ago, Mooly said:

So quite a bit more than just the speakers have been swapped. Without test and measurement its impossible to say what is happening really.

A very basic check would be to take a front and rear speaker and and alternately feed each from the same signal source and see how they compare for volume level. So that means disconnecting each speaker, running wires from each to an amplifier output and comparing one against the other.

I guess it is maybe just me. I have always assumed the a equal amount of sound from each speaker, ie, 25% x 4.

Obviously I'm wrong in that thinking. 

But I will do some testing if we get a warmer day soon. 

Trust me it's junk, the power ratings are made up or peak power what is anything up to 4-6 times higher than true power (RMS) what you're experiencing is a poorly designed amplifier it doesn't have enough power to run the Speakers or is just so overloaded it's suffering from heat soak or the power IC is just very poor quality - you are not doing these Speakers any justice

even the factory radio would be better

imho you need a quality head unit from the likes of pioneer, you can get a very good CarPlay and android auto unit for around €400 if you want wireless you're looking at €600 upwards, sound deaden the doors and use a quality small amp will just add so much more to a system

• Like 1

1 hour ago, French Auris said:

I guess it is maybe just me. I have always assumed the a equal amount of sound from each speaker, ie, 25% x 4.

Although the amplifier driving the Speakers may put out an equal signal voltage to each speaker, the subjective loudness depends on how efficient the speaker is in converting that energy into sound and that can vary lot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 7:48 PM, Mooly said:

Although the amplifier driving the speakers may put out an equal signal voltage to each speaker, the subjective loudness depends on how efficient the speaker is in converting that energy into sound and that can vary lot.

Better late than never

efficiency is a factor yes, the amplifier circuit is unknown, 5w rms (being generous) isn't going to drive a crossover network and a 6.5" mid and 1-2" tweeter let alone 4, my old Alpine would manage 17.5w rms per Chanel but would get very warm and that's on the bench with a solid filtered 13.8v off a bench psu

some of these amplifier designs go back as far as the 90's