Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12 Volt battery Failed ?

JON DAVIES

I have a 66 reg auris hybrid

Last week my 12 volt Battery failed?  I had driven appox 20 miles to drop off a friend, the car stood for about 20 mins, but when i went to leave, the dashboard and interior lights kept flashing & clicking sounds. After trying 2/3 times the dashboard lit up but the 'ready icon' didn't appear. I called auto aid and a local breakdown company arrive, after checking the 12 volt he said that his device said the voltage was low, the device i think was also a booster pack., and the car started. I drove home , but there was a big red Battery & sign saying 'Check voltage system' i have charged the Battery on trickle charge and it seems ok.

questions

I realised that his device was connected directly to the battery[ in the boot ] & not to the Jump start point under the bonnet, could this have caused damage?

I have been looking at battery prices, Halfords have different types - ordinary & start stop/ Agm ? I guess i have a start stop? Prices range £85  - £151

[ b20[jis] S34B20R]  20Hr 35Ah CCA272A

I recently had a Toyota full service under the extension - Relax scheme, do you know if i ma covered for breakdown cover by this scheme?

I don't want to ask to many questions for the dealership as I feel that they just want to charge me more each time I have dealt with them. Last service they quoted me a price but their own website said £35 less, I had to strongly query before they would lower the price to their own website & got a load of waffle about environmental treatment in the cabin. so  I am not impressed, but I thought I would take the extra warranty.

Thanks in advance.

At 6 years your Battery is 50:50 and might indeed be on its way out, especially as it stood for 20 minutes.  Was the power off but services running such as radio and lights; that might be a cause. 

Jumping from the Battery, IMO, was probably the best and of course no voltage drop in the system. 

You say you have a trickle charge, is it a smart charger?  Can you measure the Battery voltage? 

If you can disconnect the charger and measure the voltage readings over time.  Even a reading every 3 hours would show a drop if the battery is u/s. 

It's a Yuasa Battery, not usually stocked anywhere apart from some sellers and the stealership, batteries are not covered under warranty as it's a wear item

Relax warranty

Types of parts and components not covered by Toyota Relax includes, but are not limited to:

a) Maintenance parts (e.g. parts that have to be replaced periodically, filters, brake pads, linings, shoes
and cables, clutch disc, clutch cover and clutch bearing), wheels, rims, tyres, (V or multi V) belts,
batteries (unless hybrid battery in case explicitly mentioned as covered), fluids, spark plugs,
diagnostics);

S34B20R (right-hand Negative) is the more common Battery £121 delivered

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325125355060

Thanks for the replies - My concern re the jumpstart was that it was direct to the Battery & not via the Jump start point under the bonnet [ my fault as i only remembered later on ]

my charger is a very old [  non smart charger] no voltage measure.

the 20 mins -  standing was everything switched off.

Flash 22- Thanks for the link

But do you know what type it is? Start/stop / Agm? /Ordinary?

37 minutes ago, JON DAVIES said:

I realised that his device was connected directly to the battery[ in the boot ] & not to the Jump start point under the bonnet, could this have caused damage?

I would have expected the above (your rescue man's way) to be the safest way to do this.

The dealer price for the item that flash22 has linked to is £136.  I checked this a few weeks ago.  That is a Toyota 'menu' price , I believe,- it's the same price for any 12v Battery for any Auris.  The Auris hybrid owners do quite well out of this deal. 

That eBay deal is great, I wouldn't bother searching for a better one if you want to keep the original type and spec of Battery.

Without knowing the 'resting' voltage of the 12v Battery (everything off) it is difficult to judge its state.  But from (your) first hand experience it sounds stuffed, and would you have faith in it again?

It's an AGM.

4 minutes ago, JON DAVIES said:

Private message reg and I’ll get you part number 

4 minutes ago, Eddiefh said:

If you look on your battery if it is agm normally it would say 

7 minutes ago, JON DAVIES said:

It's a hybrid, and it's in the cabin space, so it is an AGM Battery, OP also posted the model number above

you supplied the Model number  S34B20R, what is Toyota part No. 28800YZZPC see the pic below (click to enlarge)

TOYOTA-AURIS-HYBRID-12V-BATTERY-28800-YZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They should be agm as it is in the boot and if the vehicle was involved in a accident the acid would not spill out.

the reason there is a jump start under the bonnet is that you cannot open the hatch or tailgate with a flat Battery as it is a switch to open it. It makes no difference connecting a jump start direct to the Battery or the jump start under the bonnet just be carefull you do not create any sparks when connecting direct to the Battery that’s why you should connect positive to battery and negative to a suitable earth on the vehicle.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help folks

Eddiefh - is that a Toyota part number?

I have had another look there is no mention of Agm on the Battery. I managed to get the bracket to confirm I have a Yuasa Battery

IMG_20220404_122924.jpg

55 minutes ago, Eddiefh said:

Yuasa number - hj-s34b20l-a ( stop start ) 

That's the incorrect Battery for the op's car, as the L is a left hand negative (HJ-S34B20L-A) - the car is a hybrid, so it doesn't have stop/start, the aftermarket information is very hit-and-miss

from Yuasa's site

2008044327_aurishybridestbatt.thumb.jpg.dcede68d65fd31e78ee2f7b497b6c65e.jpg

As above, you will not beat Toyota's eBay shop for price

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JON DAVIES said:

Thanks for all the help folks

Eddiefh - is that a Toyota part number?

I have had another look there is no mention of Agm on the battery. I managed to get the bracket to confirm I have a Yuasa battery

IMG_20220404_122924.jpg

Sorry , just been on phone to a friend at yuasa and part number is ybx3055 should retail from £68.77 or it does up north 

Flash22 - i went on the eBay page and after putting in my details -  it says it isnt compatible for my model?

Capture.thumb.PNG.811a4eb4ed8b4546f7aa62d794936359.PNG

You are not going to get a new 12v AGM Battery for your hybrid car for under a £100. Normal price for a Yuasa is £150+.           
As said, for safety reasons, if the 12v Battery is in the cabin area then you need an AGM Battery - Absorbant Matt Glass

1883968663_Aurishybrid12vbattery.thumb.JPG.c04c5ab2849f30b69179063f0808db6a.JPG

This is our 12v Battery in an 2013 Auris hatch.  It's the same one as yours, isn't it?  (Negative to the left, positive to the right.)

The B20 (JIS) number displayed on these batteries is the Japanese Battery size code, I think.  JIS = Japanese Industry Standard, fwiw.

That eBay one suggested by flash22 shows as fitting our model.

It might be worth emailing the seller to ask for some clarification.

3 hours ago, Eddiefh said:

Sorry , just been on phone to a friend at yuasa and part number is ybx3055 should retail from £68.77 or it does up north 

Please read this thread as you clearly have not, YBX3055 is a lead acid, As i posted above, a snip from Yuasa's site for the correct AGM Battery

2008044327_aurishybridestbatt.thumb.jpg.dcede68d65fd31e78ee2f7b497b6c65e.jpg

The OP has posted a picture of the Battery

IMG_20220404_122924.jpg.2b29f68ee3c67db8

S34B20R, what is listed as Toyota part No. 28800YZZPC - the original Toyota part number was 28800-21181

to further clarify, i posted the picture of the actual Battery - numbers now high lighted

TOYOTA-AURIS-HYBRID-12V-BATTERY-28800-YZZPC.thumb.png.556f8933f9804cfa8764b8b1d5661527.png

3 hours ago, JON DAVIES said:

Flash22 - i went on the ebay page and after putting in my details -  it says it isnt compatible for my model?

Capture.thumb.PNG.811a4eb4ed8b4546f7aa62d794936359.PNG

those forms on eBay are just generic, so don't catch every model if in doubt ask the seller, i will drop you a PM

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gerg said:

1883968663_Aurishybrid12vbattery.thumb.JPG.c04c5ab2849f30b69179063f0808db6a.JPG

This is our 12v battery in an 2013 Auris hatch.  It's the same one as yours, isn't it?  (Negative to the left, positive to the right.)

The B20 (JIS) number displayed on these batteries is the Japanese battery size code, I think.  JIS = Japanese Industry Standard, fwiw.

That eBay one suggested by flash22 shows as fitting our model.

It might be worth emailing the seller to ask for some clarification.

That’s the same one as I had on my 2015 auris hatch started to fail after 5 years although Toyota said it was ok but went flat regularly traded the car in anyway in 2020

• Like 1

Have you checked on Toyota website under service section there should be a Battery replacement and cost a bit less all fitted and tested. £125 or something if I remember correctly. Maybe worth checking. 👍

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Have you checked on Toyota website under service section there should be a battery replacement and cost a bit less all fitted and tested. £125 or something if I remember correctly. Maybe worth checking. 👍

See my posts above £121 delivered from Toyota's eBay shop 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

See my posts above £121 delivered from Toyota's eBay shop 👍

Thanks 👌

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Have you checked on Toyota website under service section there should be a battery replacement and cost a bit less all fitted and tested. £125 or something if I remember correctly. Maybe worth checking. 👍

I contacted the Toyota dealership for the Battery issue about a year ago, they said it was £125 including the labour, not sure if it's the original one or different one.

Thanks folks for the help

I called the local yuasa dealer in Norwich and was quoted £181. I was about to order via eBay, but decided to call the local dealer who had always seemed expensive [  as i hoped  i could get a Battery today. To my surprise I was quoted £131.00, so i asked is that the cheapest you can do? and got it for £111.44. So all sorted, maybe always worth a telephone  call and ask for a discount.. Thanks again

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1