Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weird routing using sat nav 2021 v2

Jiff

Hi I installed the 2021 v2 nav in Feb as it wasn't done at the service which I thought it would be (it's still the free period). Now the Nav tries to take me on long routes to my destination. My settings are as follows:-

DCU 17TDT2EV-DA31            MEU 17TMR2EV-FA10         Audio 1075        Nav 1120      Navdb 2021 v2

I've got the preference set to Fast as I think it always has been.

Going to the dealer for my MOT last week it took me in a big loop so I approached the dealer from the opposite direction. I was a bit late in leaving so thought perhaps there was an accident or road works so followed the directions, and arrived just in time rather than 10 minutes early. (its a 20 minute journey). I tried my normal route coming back and there were no roadworks or problems but the Nav still tried to take me the long way around back home. 

Today I was heading to almost the same place so used the dealer as the input and it again tried to take me a strange route which I ignored. I noticed the road down to the dealer was showing purpleish so perhaps it thinks I can't use it? Though I wasn't going there today.

On the way back I said "Go Home" and the nav again tried to take me a strange route which I ignored. At every one of the junctions on the first part of the journey, (its only 7 miles total) it kept telling me to "turn right". As soon as I was 5 miles from home it started saying "turn left" at every junction which I ignored, then 4 miles from home I ignored the last turn left command going straight on and noticed that the time to destination dropped by 13 minutes. On google the whole journey is only 16 minutes. 

I don't feel I can trust the nav to get me anywhere fast anymore. Anyone having similar problems, or have solutions? 

It seems as though once its got its initial route, it tries to get you back on that route until there are no other possible options. I'm not sure if shortest or ECO would be options? I tried shortest once and it seemed to try every single track road it could find.

I've tried downloading the Nav again to reinstall but as I've already got it, it won't let me download again. It doesn't appear to have any map errors just it's the logic of it's decision making which seems wrong.

Regards 

Jeff

Download waze and see what that does which is what I tend to use anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion Rosgoe

I understand that anything from the phone requires a cable connection which I'm not going to do. I might consider it if it worked via WiFi / bluetooth and didn't require any button pressing on the phone, but otherwise I'd rather the built in did what it was supposed to do.

Regards

Jeff

• Like 1

Yeah some of the routing  is a bit strange.  Once it took me off the motorway, half way round the roundabout, up the slip road back onto the motorway I had just left. Stupidly I followed the instructions.  

Liff, to answer one point, the Purple is the previous route in and out. 

If one way it is dashed, if it is a two way road the return dashes give you solid purple.  Very handy if you want to reverse your route. 

As for weird, no ideas. 

However I heard a good one today.  New owners of a BMW.  They set off, got lost, switched on Satnav and got to destination.  On return to Leicester they entered HOME  and finished up on Sheffield. 

19 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

Download waze and see what that does which is what I tend to use anyway.

We have never used the Toyota sat nav , the CEO loves Waze and won’t drive anywhere without it. The only infotainment I want in any car these days is a DAB radio and Apple Car Play 👍

• Like 1

Map update 2022 V1 should be available usually March. Easy enough to do just need a bit of time. I upgraded my Corolla for two years with no problem.

I have three years worth of updates. MyT is still showing 2021v2. I guess I'll have to wait a abit longer for 2022v1 😏

At least I know my satnav works

If you have auto re-route set, it may be taking you a certain way to avoid known traffic congestion or accidents. I’ve had this before, so changed it to manual re-route.

2022 V1 is also available for download now.

Toyota sat nav is just not good, couldn't see any improvement after each update at all, never use it now, Goole map or Waze is match better.

• Like 1

You can only use Google maps or Waze if car has Apple play or Android auto. My 2018 doesn’t, so rely on built-in maps.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:57 PM, Roy124 said:

However I heard a good one today.  New owners of a BMW.  They set off, got lost, switched on Satnav and got to destination.  On return to Leicester they entered HOME  and finished up on Sheffield. 

Sometimes you can't fix stupid 🙄

My Aygo did not come with sat nav but by the looks of it I would not have used it.  I have a Garmin unit a few years old with a integrated dash cam.  The maps are free for life and they are updated regularly.  It's delays ahead warning is detailed and the alternative routes are always good.