Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Space saver spare wheel

robo1

This question has been asked many times ...

The compact spare tire supplied by Toyota (when equipped) is a T165/80D17 104M - you can find this information in the online manual for your car.

Third-party options include:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My new (2021) Dynamic came without a spare wheel because I had specified the panoramic Roof, being “belt and braces” I wanted a space saver to cover all eventualities.

I set up an alert on eBay and after a couple of months a brand new genuine Toyota RAV4 alloy space saver complete with jack, tools and foam insert came up, which I won for £150 👍.

Not needed it yet, but I’ve been caught out before with a TRK and a tyre that couldn’t be repaired, so peace of mind.

It doesn’t matter what diameter your wheels are, it’s the overall diameter (wheel + tyre wall) that counts so the OD is virtually the same due to different tyre wall depth (profile).

I believe the PHEV requires a larger dia space saver (18”) due to larger disc’s, brakes etc.

86E99E95-0157-43DE-98C1-9012A5FD6197.jpeg

984EFD41-2FAC-400A-8066-1B60BAE8AA18.jpeg

• Like 1

I bought an 18” space saver for my PHEV.

52 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I bought an 18” space saver for my PHEV.

Yeah, that’s what I was saying above, the HEV can run the 17” space saver (which mine is) with a 165/80 17 tyre, but the PHEV needs an 18” wheel / tyre combination to clear the discs / hubs.

1 hour ago, Rigsby said:

Yeah, that’s what I was saying above, the HEV can run the 17” space saver (which mine is) with a 165/80 17 tyre, but the PHEV needs an 18” wheel / tyre combination to clear the discs / hubs.

Looking at your picture above, it may be worth investing in the wheel capture bolt for the spare as if the worst happen and the car rolls you have a very heavy object flying around on the inside of the vehicle.

If you a ready have it held down then ignore the post.

14 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

Looking at your picture above, it may be worth investing in the wheel capture bolt for the spare as if the worst happen and the car rolls you have a very heavy object flying around on the inside of the vehicle.

If you a ready have it held down then ignore the post.

Thanks Roger, it didn’t come with the retaining bolt so I got one from eBay and is all secure now.

You are quite right to point it out and thanks again.

Im “old school” and would much rather have a spare wheel than a can of goo, I’m closer to 70 than 60 but fortunately still able to jack a car up and change a wheel. I appreciate that there are those who can’t but you can always get someone to help change a wheel if your tyre is unreliable with the TRK.

• Like 1

I didn't have a spare on my C-HR and when I had a puncture I had to call the AA. Didn't wait to long and they took me to a Kwikfit -just before they closed on a Friday evening. The downside was I had to take whatever they had to fit the car, if I'd had a spare I could have shopped around and saved myself a few bob.  At the prices in the links I'm seriously contemplating buying one for my RAV4.

Thank you very helpful, I have asked the dealer if he can find me one as I haven't got the car yet it is a 70 plate self charging Excel with pan roof

7 minutes ago, Martin Allinson said:

Thank you very helpful, I have asked the dealer if he can find me one as I haven't got the car yet it is a 70 plate self charging Excel with pan roof

When I ordered my Dynamic the dealer wouldn’t source one for me as he said it would alter the emissions.

29 minutes ago, Rigsby said:

When I ordered my Dynamic the dealer wouldn’t source one for me as he said it would alter the emissions.

Mine not only said be wouldn’t but that there was no way the system would allow him to place an order.

12 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Mine not only said be wouldn’t but that there was no way the system would allow him to place an order.

I think they have to enter the VIN number to confirm that the part will fit the vehicle, because I ordered the panoramic roof it automatically deletes the space saver (for emissions) so the system may well show that a space saver isn’t available.

The PHEV is similar even without a pano roof no spare wheel order was allowed when we ordered or when I tired after we took delivery.

It's rather odd when dealers won't allow you to purchase a spare wheel giving emissions as the excuse, does that mean you have to leave your luggage at home when you go on holiday as the weight will impact the emissions? I managed to get hold of a spare wheel and bought a jack and brace and placed them in my Excel, it has the Premium Pack and only came with a can of sealant and compressor which are useless in the middle of nowhere with a blow out and ruined tyre.

54 minutes ago, Firecycle said:

It's rather odd when dealers won't allow you to purchase a spare wheel giving emissions as the excuse, does that mean you have to leave your luggage at home when you go on holiday as the weight will impact the emissions? I managed to get hold of a spare wheel and bought a jack and brace and placed them in my Excel, it has the Premium Pack and only came with a can of sealant and compressor which are useless in the middle of nowhere with a blow out and ruined tyre.

Agreed, I think it’s all to do with emissions at “point of delivery” for BIK / company cars.

Once the details are on the Toyota system the space saver has been deleted and they can’t order one for you. Madness.

14 minutes ago, Rigsby said:

Agreed, I think it’s all to do with emissions at “point of delivery" ...

If you look at the Certificate of Conformity for your car you will see:

• Mass in running order, and
  • Actual mass of the vehicle

The "Actual mass of the vehicle" is the "Mass in running order" plus the weight of the fitted optional equipment. In our case, this includes the sun-roof and excludes the temporary spare wheel. If the dealer were to add the temporary spare wheel he would invalidate the Certificate of Conformity ... so the dealer can't / won't do that.

But that still leaves us with a leeway of around 500kg up to the "Technically permissible maximum laden mass" to cover occupants and "luggage" - and there's absolutely no reason why we can't / shouldn't carry a temporary (or even full-size) spare wheel as part of our "luggage".

Of course, it's still a bit daft that Toyota dealers are 'reluctant' to sell such 'luggage' accessories but at least there are several competent third-party suppliers that will ... 😉

(And, I suppose, that technically we should all weigh our passengers and luggage just to be on the safe side but that's just getting silly! 😁)

It's bizarre they wouldn't let you buy that as surely that'd count as aftermarket and not affect the emissions ratings?

Maybe just go to another dealer - My nearest dealer refused to quote for 15" rims for my Mk4, insisting they wouldn't fit. As I was already fed up with their dire customer service I couldn't be bothered to argue with them more so, after getting part numbers from Kingo (Which all the other dealers failed to find!) I was able to order them from the next closest dealer (Who, unlike Jemca, have a parts desk!) and get them fitted a few weeks after I got the car.

The service advisor was a bit perplexed as to why I was doing this, which was a bit funny. I was considering switching my servicing to that dealer, but they blew it when they sent me home with the tyres on one side at only 20 psi...

54 minutes ago, philip42h said:

If you look at the Certificate of Conformity for your car you will see:

• Mass in running order, and
  • Actual mass of the vehicle

The "Actual mass of the vehicle" is the "Mass in running order" plus the weight of the fitted optional equipment. In our case, this includes the sun-roof and excludes the temporary spare wheel. If the dealer were to add the temporary spare wheel he would invalidate the Certificate of Conformity ... so the dealer can't / won't do that.

But that still leaves us with a leeway of around 500kg up to the "Technically permissible maximum laden mass" to cover occupants and "luggage" - and there's absolutely no reason why we can't / shouldn't carry a temporary (or even full-size) spare wheel as part of our "luggage".

Of course, it's still a bit daft that Toyota dealers are 'reluctant' to sell such 'luggage' accessories but at least there are several competent third-party suppliers that will ... 😉

(And, I suppose, that technically we should all weigh our passengers and luggage just to be on the safe side but that's just getting silly! 😁)

But they will happily sell you roof bars, roof box, cycle carriers etc that could potentially add 100 kg to the weight but not a 12 - 15 kg space saver wheel.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Rigsby said:

But they will happily sell you roof bars, roof box, cycle carriers etc that could potentially add 100 kg to the weight but not a 12 - 15 kg space saver wheel.

And those are accessories listed for your car - you can buy such accessories at your dealer or Halfords and other stores. You fit such accessories entirely at your own risk.

A temporary spare wheel is not available as an accessory. It is not even an option. If we choose the sun-roof option we get a TRK in place of the temporary spare wheel. (The PHEVies never had the option of a temporary spare in the first place).

That's just how it is ... I'm only trying to explain; I'm not trying to justify Toyota's position. 😉

• Like 1

Not long after I got my vehicle I tried the dealer re purchasing a space saver.

He said that Toyota do not list a space saver as an optional extra due to health and safety concerns.

They do want customers trying to change a wheel by the side of the road, too risky for many reasons.

He advised to join a breakdown service if I was concerned re using the puncture kit provided 😟

Iain

25 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Not long after I got my vehicle I tried the dealer re purchasing a space saver.

He said that Toyota do not list a space saver as an optional extra due to health and safety concerns.

They do want customers trying to change a wheel by the side of the road, too risky for many reasons.

He advised to join a breakdown service if I was concerned re using the puncture kit provided 😟

Iain

Totally amazing, what a lot of old bull and does someone think it’s safer to use the can of gunk, pump etc.?

• Like 1

I should have said :

They do NOT want customers trying to change a wheel by the side of the road, too risky for many reasons.

Iain

1 minute ago, Hybrid21 said:

I should have said :

They do NOT want customers trying to change a wheel by the side of the road, too risky for many reasons.

Iain

I remember changing a wheel on the M1 at night in an unlit section no hi-vis and I don't think the car had hazard flashers and was rocking as each lorry passed, it was a good many years ago, makes me cringe just thinking about it now. 

• Like 1

Hi All, I have the same predicament in wanting to purchase a space saver wheel. My predicament is that I know the spacesaver will fit in the hole in the boot, with an inch or so to spare on the diameter, however I am unsure if I can place the floor down flush in it's cut out. Looking at the photo's of the Road hero wheel it looks like the spokes protrude over the tyre wall by a few mm. Can anyone recommend a wheel that does fit.  (Rav4 Phev Dynamic) With the floor in place there is about 155 to 160 mm gap, and with the tyre being a 155 that leaves very little if any clearance for the protruding rim. Any help appreciated.

Boot.jpg

24 minutes ago, marz29 said:

Hi All, I have the same predicament in wanting to purchase a space saver wheel. My predicament is that I know the spacesaver will fit in the hole in the boot, with an inch or so to spare on the diameter, however I am unsure if I can place the floor down flush in it's cut out. Looking at the photo's of the Road hero wheel it looks like the spokes protrude over the tyre wall by a few mm. Can anyone recommend a wheel that does fit.  (Rav4 Phev Dynamic) With the floor in place there is about 155 to 160 mm gap, and with the tyre being a 155 that leaves very little if any clearance for the protruding rim. Any help appreciated.

Boot.jpg

There's a Road Hero in ernie's boot:

• Like 1