Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre noise on Excel sorted!

Roger Johnson

Hi, I thought I would update you about my complaint of excessive tyre noise on my new Yaris Excel.

After much consideration I bit the bullet and purchased a new set of Goodyear 205/45/17 EfficientGrip Performance tyres as the latest spec (577599) have recently been updated with their Electric Drive Technology.  The reference 577599 also refers to the actual tyre size needed for the car. 

I’m very happy with the result as they are not only quieter but also improve the ride and the feel of the steering on the car.  Still quite noisy on broken surfaces but on reasonable road surfaces the car is now whisper quiet.   

Just one comment, they don’t do W rated so I went for their V rated. I will just have to remember not to go over 149mph! 🥴 And yes, I did contact my insurance company (LV) and they were more than happy for me to fit them.

ED043BAF-C4ED-4FA2-95A0-EB80CA208F03.jpeg

4759E91D-1468-4747-826B-0D8A09506DD4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Roger Johnson said:

Hi, I thought I would update you about my complaint of excessive tyre noise on my new Yaris Excel.

After much consideration I bit the bullet and purchased a new set of Goodyear 205/45/17 EfficientGrip Performance tyres as the latest spec (577599) have recently been updated with their Electric Drive Technology.  The reference 577599 also refers to the actual tyre size needed for the car. 

I’m very happy with the result as they are not only quieter but also improve the ride and the feel of the steering on the car.  Still quite noisy on broken surfaces but on reasonable road surfaces the car is now whisper quiet.   

Just one comment, they don’t do W rated so I went for their V rated. I will just have to remember not to go over 149mph! 🥴 And yes, I did contact my insurance company (LV) and they were more than happy for me to fit them.

ED043BAF-C4ED-4FA2-95A0-EB80CA208F03.jpeg

4759E91D-1468-4747-826B-0D8A09506DD4.jpeg

Excellent, in the past i have always used them, and i find them the best. For speed rating, are you required to seek permission from the insurance company? 

If the speed rating is lower than the manufacturer spec you're supposed to; For higher speed rating there is no need to.

• Like 1

Well done, good choice of tyres. I am running similar ones since 2020 and I am very happy with them. I went one size down with new wheels and the car drive has been completely transformed from harsh and uncomfortable to quiet and soft. 👍

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Well done, good choice of tyres. I am running similar ones since 2020 and I am very happy with them. I went one size down with new wheels and the car drive has been completely transformed from harsh and uncomfortable to quiet and soft. 👍

Tony, I recall from some post that you did several ten-thousands miles with some tyres? Were they Goodyears? I usually tend to get 25k with them.

26 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Tony, I recall from some post that you did several ten-thousands miles with some tyres? Were they Goodyears? I usually tend to get 25k with them.

Yes, with Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 , they are currently at 46k miles and third season, still have about 6mm thread depth. I hope to last me to the end of the year or another 30k miles at least. 👌🛞

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Yes, with Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 , they are currently at 46k miles and third season, still have about 6mm thread depth. I hope to last me to the end of the year or another 30k miles at least. 👌🛞

You will make the tyre industry collapse!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

You will make the tyre industry collapse!

That’s the idea, don’t replace before you really need to, same for the whole car 🚙😊👍

Holy carp how do you do that?! I don't think I've had a tyre last more than 20k miles, usually 12-15k! :eek: 

Then again most of my driving is seemingly endless stop-start traffic and my 'exuberant' driving style probably doesn't help...!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Holy carp how do you do that?! I don't think I've had a tyre last more than 20k miles, usually 12-15k! :eek: 

Then again most of my driving is seemingly endless stop-start traffic and my 'exuberant' driving style probably doesn't help...!

That’s right, driving style and driving needs. I am easy on the car and do mostly motorways and this perhaps make a huge difference. 🛞👌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

42,000 miles on original tyres in old VW UP when i sold it, and there was still plenty left.

Gentle of the mark, straightlining roundabouts as much as possible, don't acceleate hard on bends.

Be interesting to find out how the Yaris fares with it's tyres, it's heavier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi

did you buy the toyota 16 inch wheels or any other brand. i am planning t do the same or wait and get the mazda 2 15 inch ones ? as the mazda 2 are introducing the 15 inch in their base model. i prefer more tyre than wheels

Edited by irshad
to add
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, irshad said:

Hi

did you buy the toyota 16 inch wheels or any other brand. i am planning t do the same or wait and get the mazda 2 15 inch ones ? as the mazda 2 are introducing the 15 inch in their base model. i prefer more tyre than wheels

My car is Auris and yes I bought Toyota original wheels and carefully chosen the size to match the car original specs.
https://www.willtheyfit.com

https://www.wheel-size.com

You can check eBay Toyota official store, find the wheels that match your car add to your watch list, wait when eBay offers 10-20% discount codes and then buy. I did that and 4 16” came close to the price of one 17” that my car had., plus the comfort and the cheaper tyre prices. Insurance only need to know, if they charge any extra will be minimal if at all. 👍

• Like 1

My Yaris came with 17" rims but I put 15" steel rims on instead; The part number is 42611-K0170 (Which none of my dealers were able to find until I contacted our very own PartsKing!! :thumbsup: ) and has the correct width, offset etc.

You may need replacement wheel nuts as the alloy ones apparently aren't designed to hold the steel rims, at least not long term.

Toyota ones are 90942-01007 but you can use any steel wheel nuts from e.g. ECP or Halfords even.

You will need new tyres too - 185/65r15 is the size.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

My car is Auris and yes I bought Toyota original wheels and carefully chosen the size to match the car original specs.
https://www.willtheyfit.com

https://www.wheel-size.com

You can check eBay Toyota official store, find the wheels that match your car add to your watch list, wait when eBay offers 10-20% discount codes and then buy. I did that and 4 16” came close to the price of one 17” that my car had., plus the comfort and the cheaper tyre prices. Insurance only need to know, if they charge any extra will be minimal if at all. 👍

thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links